Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas Granvold
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to find out how many plans typically flew together during WWI. That would tell me how many game boards and maneuver decks of each type I would ideally want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver PhoDOGrapher
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:How many plans in a squadron?
tomg (#43647),

It really depended on the mission, nationality and the year. Given the fact that maintenance issues would keep some planes grounded and other days may require a unit to perform different missions at the same time and thus split into smaller units, I suppose any number would do.

BUT somewhere I think I read a German Jasta typically was comprised of 10 fighters, sometimes of mixed types and an Allied squadron 12 planes usually all the same kind of aircraft.

Oswald Boelcke wrote the book on fighter tactics for the Germans and they flew in pairs, one as the leader and the other as wingman. The British squadrons seemed to favor a basic element of 3 planes in a Vee (or Vic). This was still common through the early days of WW II.

German Jasta (squadrons) were often organized into larger formations of 3 or more Jasta called (something that just disappeared from my brain). The most famous was Richtofens's Flying Circus (I assume that name was hung on them the British due to the brightly colored paint schemes) which often patroled in mass formations. How many sets would it take to get 30 German planes in the air at once?

And where is bgg member jasta6 when you need him?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Angiolino
Italy
Rome
European Union
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, just as a little example, here you have a report of the activity of one of the Camel included in our game:

http://www.acepilots.com/wwi/can_barker.html

You can see missuions with 2, 3 or 4 Camels. And if I remember well the Italian sources, there are victories shared between them and Italian aces - so even flying in a mixed team with the SPAD XIII is not unrealistic at all.

Bye!

Andrea

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United States
Sterling Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Glück muss man haben
badge
But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you… And I will beat you.
mbmbmbmbmb
scribidinus wrote:
tomg (#43647),

It really depended on the mission,

Very true. 1915-17 a lot of pilots flew as Loan-Wolves and small flights

BUT somewhere I think I read a German Jasta typically was comprised of 10 fighters, sometimes of mixed types and an Allied squadron 12 planes usually all the same kind of aircraft.

This sounds right though I believe the Germans were up to 12 as the war progressed on.

Oswald Boelcke wrote the book on fighter tactics ...
I have got to get an english copy of this someday

German Jasta (squadrons) were often organized into larger formations of 3 or more Jasta called (something that just disappeared from my brain)

Jagdgeschwaders (JG) there was three of them. They had 4 Jastas in each of them.

...Richtofens's Flying Circus (I assume that name was hung on them the British due to the brightly colored paint schemes)...

Actually it was because the were hangered in tents that could be taken down and re-assembled in a 24 hour period so they moved from hot spot to hot spot like a "Circus" (but the colors helped perpetuate the image

And where is bgg member jasta6 when you need him?

Vacation and then my computer got sick for over a week. Just got it back two hours ago.

Jim P cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United States
Sterling Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Glück muss man haben
badge
But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you… And I will beat you.
mbmbmbmbmb
jasta6 (#44942),

Darn, forgot to say that at the end of the war both sides would put up flights of 30-40 A/C in coordinate operations.

Jim P

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver PhoDOGrapher
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
jasta6 (#44943),

I knew you would know, thanks and welcome back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.