Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mischa D. Krilov
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
When *is* BGG Con 20XX registration, anyway?
badge
This space intentionally left blank. :)
mbmbmbmbmb
A few nights ago, I had the opportunity to teach this awesome game to three new players. In my haste to play, I had a blonde moment and got the scoring wrong- in a nutshell, I had players counting the tile they played towards their points. So a two-point move became a three- or four-point score easily.

Too far into the game to start over, I tried to stress that we were playing it wrong, but it worked as a teaching example, or as a way to play quickly. It did work that way- one player maxed out his score track on all six colors before the board was two-thirds full. All players had fun playing and said they would be willing to play again, so the session was a success.

So I submit my scoring mistake as a racing variant, in an attempt to wipe the egg off my face.

Mischa

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
The big drawback I see here it is becomes much harder to block opponents from colors they need!

If you have a blue/red, and badly need red, in "standard" play your opponent should close off all reds, making it impossible for you to get that color. But in this variant, you automatically get a red point by playing the tile, since you count your own colors.

I think to speed it up, calling Ingenious at 16 or 14 would work out better...perhaps combine this with making the hex grid a bit smaller?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
rossum wrote:
So I submit my scoring mistake as a racing variant, in an attempt to wipe the egg off my face.

The problem is that this variant loses much of the flavor of the game. The winner is determined by "least worst" color. This means that a player must pay attention to his low colors and the other players' low colors. Late in the game it can be more important to block another player than to score your self. Your version will usually be just a race to 18.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.