Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In an attempt to learn to game (and some tactics) so that I can teach it to others, I have played the Pegasus Bridge scenario 5 times solo. The Germans only came close to winning once (4 to 3 medals), and the rest were 4 to 1 or worse. Obviously I am new, so I may be playing them inefficiently. I'm wondering if the scenario is balanced, and if it's supposed to be balanced or more historically accurate.

In my next session, I am going to have the 2 units on the right side of the board make a mad dash for the left side of the board. If they can make it, the Allied player gets only 1 medal (the bridge), and the remains of the 2 units can defend the other bridge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Johnson
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Re:Pegasus Bridge (balance)
I have only played this once. I chose the German side and the guy I was playing with warned me that it was a disadvantage, but we would switch sides after one game and then count total points. Here's the shocker - I beat him in the first game 4-0! (I must be a great General, uh?) Actually the dice were completely on my side. We switched sides and I was leading 2-1 when we had to quit - more gamers showed up. It was fun, not sure I will get it. It just seems a little too much luck for me. Might be fun for me and my 9 year old son though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played the scenario 10 times now. I think I'm getting pretty good at card management and tactics, but the Germans never win. One time, the Germans started with 2 great cards, and drew some good ones early. I managed to get both right-side units out to make a run for it. One reached the trees and it was still 0-0 (I hadn't occupied right-side bridge yet). The Allies managed to chase down the trailing unit and smash it against the back of the board, pinning the other unit in the trees, even though I had cleared a path for them over the bridge. Those two units, plus the right bridge, plus a bombardment of the single man left after being coaxed across the bridge out of the sandbags, makes 4-0.

I find the 23% German victories on the M44 site to be questionable. Many of them specifically say something like "I just got good rolls" or "a lucky card".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Hoam
United States
Fredericktown
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
ekted (#43730),

In my experience, in five playings of the scenario by different people the Axis have won every time. I don't think Pegasus is unbalanced, just that your sample was too small.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Novean
United States
Valencia
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mythoturge (#44380),
I disagree. The Allies have a large advantage. Look at the stats on the M44 website; it is currently 93/31 for the Allies. As long as the Allies have decent cards they should be able to take Orne bridge and pin one of the Axis units for a kill. After that, they only have to snipe and kill one additional unit. The Axis player needs to get good cards and great rolls to compete.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Hoam
United States
Fredericktown
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
calhokie (#44972),

I was repsponding to ekted's hypothesis that it was nearly impossible to win as the Axis. In 5/6 playings I have seen the Axis win, so it certainly can be done.

Try this, as the Axis player ignore the Orne Bridge and pull the German units over to Pegasus if you can. As in all scenarios's though it depends on the cards and the dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Court
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ekted (#43730),

I've won as the Germans a couple of times. It is usually a combo of me rolling well, they roll bad. And of course, card management comes into play as well.

I do think the designer made the scenarios more in keeping with history than game balance (but still leaving room for good and lucky play to win out). Obviously, some scenarios are more imbalanced than others. I think Pegasus is one of the worst.

I also think that is precisely why you are supposed to play it twice, having switched sides and total the VP's. Some folks don't like that but there it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Owen
United States
Norwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are some advantages to having an imbalanced scenario got the introductory scenario. Many times a more experienced player will be teaching the game to a newcomer. The experienced player should take the Germans, giving the Allied player a real shot at victory without the German player have to do anything to "let" them win. It also gives the experienced player a challenge. And it is a wargame, where perfect balance is rarely achieved and usually not expected.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Owen
United States
Norwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are some advantages to having an imbalanced scenario got the introductory scenario. Many times a more experienced player will be teaching the game to a newcomer. The experienced player should take the Germans, giving the Allied player a real shot at victory without the German player have to do anything to "let" them win. It also gives the experienced player a challenge. And it is a wargame, where perfect balance is rarely achieved and usually not expected.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Helvard
Denmark
Aarhus C
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've also won a few times as the Axis in Pegasus Brudge. A good strategy seems to occupy the 2 woods near the brudge on the left flank, if possible..

However I've also lost a few times, but as I'm quite new to this game I look forward to playing this a lot more!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Szukalow
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ekted (#43730),

First two ever playings of this scenario and the Axis won both times being led by different people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.