Popular Tags: [View All]
Ralf Christian
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple of times we ran into the situation, that a player found a working solution, but the deducted positions were still not correct to the hidden positions from the other player. The only way to avoid this, seems to be to use more attempts, until you are pretty sure, that you found the "real" solution. Otherwise, you would collect quite some minus points, even though you found a working solution. Not so satisfactory, I would say. Anybody had the same experience already? And what are you doing to solve the "problem"? Maybe give less than 5 minus points for the "wrong" positions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Tavener
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
The overtext below is true.
badge
The overtext above is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
What I think you're talking about: there are ways of constructing the balls so that there is more than one correct solution, i.e. there is no way of differentiating between the possibilities. In this case, we have ruled that to avoid a penalty, the guesser has to come up with all possible solutions; and then their score is divided by the number of possibilities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Twinge
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
mrraow wrote:
What I think you're talking about: there are ways of constructing the balls so that there is more than one correct solution, i.e. there is no way of differentiating between the possibilities. In this case, we have ruled that to avoid a penalty, the guesser has to come up with all possible solutions; and then their score is divided by the number of possibilities.

This sounds like a great idea. This has always been an inherent flaw of this game, but the massive score reduction in division should make up for the increased difficulty from having multiple possible correct answers.

As a side note, does anyone know if it's possible to get the same scenario with the newfangled hex board?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Figgins
United States
Woodland
California
flag msg tools
badge
http://lyrislaser.com
mbmbmbmbmb
What are some of the scenarios on the square board? I always thought the only impossible-to-determine placement was to have four marbles at the corners of a 4x4 box, with the fifth one placed randomly inside the box.

And that the correct answer to that placement was to smack your opponent upside the head and tell them to stop doing that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wakefield Morys-Carter
United Kingdom
Oxford
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
beri wrote:
What are some of the scenarios on the square board? I always thought the only impossible-to-determine placement was to have four marbles at the corners of a 4x4 box, with the fifth one placed randomly inside the box.

And that the correct answer to that placement was to smack your opponent upside the head and tell them to stop doing that.

There's a case of multiple solutions in the solo play rule book which I've just posted here: Spoilers - game 80 has two valid solutions

Personally I think that if it's impossible to distinguish between multiple solutions then any of them should be counted as correct (i.e. if the guesser gives a solution and their opponent can't state a valid ray that disproves the given solution).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.