Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems that the 3 cap on the 29 plant WAS a misprint, it should be 4 capacity.

This makes this otherwise bad plant into a reasonable and balanced one. This change has been implemented on BSW. The 29 plant is now 4 capacity on BSW.

Having it at 4 capacity does make a lot of sense. After all, it is more expensive and uses more resources than the 27 plant. It seemed a bit out of place before. While it would be a good plant early, it never came up, and later its capacity is too low.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bandit Ripshawd
United States
Sioux Center
Iowa
flag msg tools
mb
Re:The 29 plant
Alexfrog (#43814),

Where did you find this out at?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bandit Ripshawd (#43819),

I played a game last night on BSW and the 29 plant had 4 capacity.

It is possible that they just arbitrarily made this change, but it seems likely it was for a reason...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Schmalz
Germany
Köln
Nordrhein Westfalen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alexfrog (#43826),

I just checked the BSW. You are right - the 29 plant has capacity 4 now
If we could have a comment from Friedemann now...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikhil Perumbeti
United States
Norcross
Georgia
flag msg tools
Alexfrog (#43814),

Why is paying 1 oil/coal for 3 capacity so unreasonable? I thought it was a pretty good plant. Of course I haven't played that much. Also, what is BSW?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rod Spade
United States
Elizabethtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bisabuelo wrote:
Why is paying 1 oil/coal for 3 capacity so unreasonable? I thought it was a pretty good plant.

It's not a bad plant, but it costs too much. Generally, a higher plant either powers more cities or runs more efficiently than lower plants.

Plant 27 powers 3 citites and uses no resources. Plant 29 costs more to buy and more to operate, but powers the same number of cities. That's the inequity.

However, I would still like to hear an official word from the designer before marking up my copy of the game. Are we sure this change is official.

Also, what is BSW?

http://www.brettspielwelt.de/

Lots of good games that you can play against other people online. You can find more info at http://www.brettspielwelt.info/

Be sure to download the client - it works better than the web interface.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bisabuelo (#44396),

The problem with the 29 plant was that by the time it would actually make it into the available plants, you wouldnt want it at all becasue it was only 3 capacity, and you are going for 5+ cap plants. (Its also strictly worse thant the 27 plant that has a smaller # than it).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Kinkead
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Lexi (#43942),

If we could have a comment from Friedemann now...

Is there anyone that can contact the BSW folks to ask why they made the change? And anyone know how to contact the PG designer?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Schmalz
Germany
Köln
Nordrhein Westfalen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mokkbs (#44698),

you can try to contact Friedemann at friedemann@2F-Spiele.de

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Kinkead
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Lexi (#44705),

Ok, thanks, I sent him mail and posted this question on BSW under their "English Bulletin Board",subjectlant 29 In Power Grid/F-Schlag

http://www.brettspielwelt.de/gate/jsp/base/enter.jsp?nation=...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Kinkead
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mokkbs (#44731),

I got a pretty quick response on BSW:

as I have been told, this is approved by Friedemann Friese, the designer of the game. How the idea crept up, I cannot say, though

Terveisiä, Ulkomaalainen

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikhil Perumbeti
United States
Norcross
Georgia
flag msg tools
rodspade (#44443),

where is the client available for download? i only see a link to connect to the server

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rod Spade
United States
Elizabethtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bisabuelo wrote:
rodspade (#44443),

where is the client available for download? i only see a link to connect to the server

http://www.brettspielwelt.de/en/Community/download.html

You have to tweak it to tell it you prefer English. For more information, see:

http://www.brettspielwelt.info/tutorial/prop.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
We love our pups!! Misu, RIP 28 Nov 2010. Tikka, RIP 11 Aug 2011.
mbmbmbmbmb
bisabuelo (#45320),

You should also check http://privat.ub.uib.no/bubjb/asp/bsw/propmaker.asp - will generate a nice .prop file for you with many commands ready to go from drop-down menus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Sorbello
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Alexfrog (#43814),
I contacted the official person from Riogrande games and even though I get reply's always within a day I never got an answer on this on. I've been waiting for 2 weeks now!
I use the 4 cities instead of the 3, it just doesn't make sense otherwise!
Lexen

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Kinkead
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
lexen (#45957),

That's very interesting. Conflicting messages from two sources, one degree or so away from the design.

I do personally think the '4' makes it better. It usually comes at an interesting time in the game. If it is a 3, it is pass bait often.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Me
United States
Bowling Green
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Would Rio Grande say to play as printed so they don't have to give out replacements?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting comment given that on the 15-Jun-2005 update/newsletter at www.riograndegames.com Jay mentions:

I have acquired a small supply of replacement decks for Power Grid with the new version of power plant 29 and I will have them at several conventions this summer (Origins, Dexcon, WBC, Gencon, and CHITAG), as long as the supply lasts. They can only be obtained at these conventions by donating $5.00 to Heifer International (www.heifer.org). I will collect the donations and, at the end of the convention season, send all monies collected (I keep no portion of the $5.00) to Heifer so they can send animals to needing families around the world.

Sounds more like it was a mistake originally but was not going to be corrected until a reprint or something like that. Nice of Jay to sell them and donate the money to charity, although not entirely useful for people like me in Australia who have slight difficulties hitting the US summer convention circuit - might just have to use a black texta ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Spoto
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The 29 plant was always supposed to power 4 cities. It was a misprint in the original, and has been corrected in the second edition. If you look at this picture, you can see the new version:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Me
United States
Bowling Green
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not entirely useful for us who don't want to pay $5 for a single card. I don't want the deck, just the replacement card.

Yeah, it's charity. So I sell you a game on the Marketplace, but it's missing a proper playing component. I say, "I'll send it to you if you donate $5 to a charity of my choice!" Sound good? "Buy this card or I'll shoot this dog!" : /

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KineticKill wrote:
The 29 plant was always supposed to power 4 cities. It was a misprint in the original, and has been corrected in the second edition.

It was 3 cities in the original Funkenschlag, and it was 3 cities in the first edition of the new Funkenschlag, which was also released as power grid.
But after many games, especially on BSW, it seemed to be too weak. So it was changed to 4 cities in BSW. The change was approved by the author, and is also applied to the new editions of the board game.
So, its a rule change, not a misprint.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tex tex
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whether the 29 plant powers 3 or 4 cities is pretty much immaterial, as I find it generally to be a bad plant to own, unless you get it early in the game from a "lottery ticket".

[lottery ticket = retaining optimal last position in player order by keeping low number of cities and/or low plant numbers.]

[cashing in lottery ticket = thay wonderful monent in an auction game where as last player you can buy a fresh item for list price.]

I smile inwardly when I see an opponent plunk down 29, or more, to buy the 29 plant knowing they will still have to replace it before the end game unless their other two plants are 6 and 7s.

I would much prefer the 25, 26, or 20 plant over the 29. I even prefer the 21 plant (burns 2 to power 4) over the 29 (burns 1 to power 4) because the extra fuel is trivial compared to the turn order benefits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.