United States
Jersey City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I first played this game, my friends and I thought it was the next Princes of Florence. Unfortunately, it's starting to sour on us.

The game's biggest problem, from our point of view, is the anticlimactic endgame. The last 10-20 minutes feature fewer choices, and feel less thrilling than the plotting and planning of the previous rounds.

I think this is because Round 6 is the last round where it makes sense to acquire resources. Round 7 is the last round where players can begin inventions. This makes resource-gathering in Round 7 pointless.

In fact, most of the board is pretty pointless by Round 7. Upgrading (or God forbid, buying, if you're a real procrastinator) a laboratory doesn't make sense because you won't have occasion to use it. Getting an apprentice won't make much of a difference to most players, because you'll probably have enough manpower by then to max out both your labs. Maybe you'll have an open robot space.

This means that everyone's competing for the Council... and for what? Moving apprentices, peeking at/re-ordering inventions, and buying a cheap resource are all pointless actions for the above reasons.

So the only things players are doing in Round 7 are: bidding for the Leonardo figure (as the tiebreaker), acquiring a buck or two from the City Council, and maybe getting an apprentice or a robot.

I just played my second game where we allowed inventions to be announced at the beginning of Round 8. It makes an incredible amount of sense to me. It puts the entire board back into play in Round 7; every action matters, which is how it should be.

To me, it brings the game from a "4" to a "6". I think there are other improvements that could be made, like doing something about those blind bids; they just don't work for me. I suppose that's for another post...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The publisher's FAQ indicates that it is possible to start new inventions in Rounds 8 and 9. I believe this is one of the sections of the rules that wasn't clear to me, but the FAQ makes it clear.

See http://www.davincigames.com/page_eng.cfm?sez=01&gioco=leonar...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gil Hova
United States
Jersey City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. Thanks for the clarification.

Yes, the FAQ does indeed explicity say that new inventions can be started in Round 8. It's a shame the rulebook doesn't.

In fact, the rulebook uses the words "pure research" to describe Round 8 and 9. Since Phase D is the Research Phase, it's a natural logical jump to expect that Rounds 8 and 9 have only the Research Phase, not Phase A, the Laboratory Phase.

I wish I'd seen the FAQ before posting, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.