JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Recommenders! I have a puzzler for you.

I'm starting my Christmas shopping and I'd like some recommendations for my son.

I need to find a game for him that the whole family would like.

Currently, his favorite games are two player games--he loves Memoir '44, Battleball, Pizza Box Football, Blue Moon, Heroscape and Formula De Mini.

He has two sisters who won't play Formula De. We can all play Heroscape, but we're tiring of that.

The problem is finding a game that he will get excited about when the whole family wants to play.

Here are the ones he likes:

Pirate's Cove
Ricochet Robot
Bang!
Category 5

He will reluctantly play:

Niagara
Ingenious
Mississippi Queen
Ticket to Ride

He HATES HATES HATES:

Through the Desert
Samurai
Ra

I welcome any suggestions. He's constantly begging me to play him in memoir 44 or Blue moon and his sisters feel left out, so I hoping to find something to bridge the gap.

He has a 13 yo sister and an 8 yo sister.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hank Panethiere
United States
Kirkwood
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For Sale, Scream Machine, and No Thanks. My eight year old plays all of these with no problem. Our five year old even gets No Thanks.

Oh, and Don't forget Gulo Gulo...perfect for any age. Grandpa even likes it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher DeFrisco
United States
Ashland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Ah, negative. I am a meat popsicle.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have an 11 yo son as well (Henry) who is game crazy like his Dad. He's the youngest of three.

Here are a few games he enjoys, that everyone else does as well. These may seem obvious, but they are definitely winners with Henry (11) and also the rest of the family.

Nexus Ops
If you haven't played this yet, it's a 60-90 min. Risk-ish fix, but it's got some cool bits and everyone enjoys it. When I first purchased this, the three boys and I played it every night for a week.

RoboRally The more the merrier

No Thanks! I second this recommendation. It's quick, light, and Henry really likes it.

Aladdin's Dragons We pulled this out again over the weekend and I'd forgotten how much Henry likes this game.

WildLife This used to be Henry's all-time favorite. It's fallen in his personal ranking, but he still enjoys the game.

Good luck and have fun!
I find purchasing games for other people (and my kids) easily as much fun as purchasing them for myself. Go Santa!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Ballinger
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you tried Blokus? It's pretty well liked by the gamers and non gamers in my family.

You might take a look at GMT's Winds of Plunder too. It's another pirate game but quite different from Pirate's cove. Again, you will probably be able to get the non-gamers to the table with that.

I've had big success with Mystery of the Abbey too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin
United States
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jatoha wrote:

Currently, his favorite games are two player games--he loves Memoir '44, Battleball, Pizza Box Football, Blue Moon, Heroscape and Formula De Mini.

Awe, what great boyish themes with direct conflict and player interaction!

This one is a little difficult because you want the game to appeal to him but also to the whole family.

I suggest heavy themed games like Drakon, Cave Troll, Monsters Menace America, and maybe even Citadels.

Good Luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricky Gray
United States
Powder Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zooloretto is a really good game whose theme and art might bring his sisters to the table.

Ricky
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Lantz
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll stick my neck out and recommend a game that I haven't played. Yeah, I know... Anyway, how about Manila? I just downloaded the rules from Rio grande's website and it looks like a lot of fun! The theme is very approachable and there seems to be a lot of excitement in the dice rolls and the placing of the "workers". Check the rules yourself to see if it might be something for you.

A game that has worked very well in my family is Winner's Circle. Exciting and fun but also easy to understand. Played only with adults it is more of a filler, but it is great for families. Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Peters Unrau
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As was mentioned by HelenofTroy, your son seems to like "boyish themes" with player interaction. I would echo her suggestion of Citadels as well as Hank's suggestion of For Sale. Memoir '44, Blue Moon, Category 5 and Bang! are all card games so if he likes that kind of game I would also add San Juan or perhaps the new Race for the Galaxy (note: I haven't played RftG yet, just read the rules).

One game I've had success introducing to 11-year-old boys to is Antike. As an added benefit, Antike plays better with 4 or 5 players so there's an incentive for him to get more of the family to the table with that one. There is direct player interaction and some direct conlfict. This and Citadels would probably be my first and second recommendations respectively.

Another options which tends to be a love-it-or-hate-it game is Killer Bunnies, also popular with _some_ 11-year-old boys and again plays better with 4 or 5 players.

Failing any of those options, try a big family game of Liar's Dice or Incan Gold. Yes, the games are short, but I've yet to teach anybody these two games who wasn't up for a second game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
cdefrisco wrote:

RoboRally The more the merrier

Definitely a great idea. The theme and artwork and bits would definitely appeal to him, given your description of games he already enjoys. The only problem is that many people (even adults!) have trouble visualizing the effects of their robot's program (i.e. the cardplay) and may get frustrated by this. If you think he, and the family, can handle the puzzling-out aspect of planning your moves ahead of time, RoboRally would definitely be an excellent excellent choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Carlton
United States
Shawnee
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe one of these will work?

Blue Moon City
Citadels
Boomtown
Colosseum
Evo
Goldland
I'm the Boss!
The Pillars of the Earth
Thebes
Vikings
Winner's Circle

(My best guess would be Thebes.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan F.
Canada
Lethbridge
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It would seem theme is the name of the game for your son. I'd suggest:

Citadels
Betrayal at House on the Hill
Roborally
Fire and Axe (a viking-themed game)
Trias (a dinosaur-themed game)
Railroad Tycoon (this is probably your best bet at getting the girls to play too - they might also like Betrayal or Trias)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
Assuming there are no objections with the theme, Vegas Showdown is a lot of fun. Our family enjoys it. It's going out print, apparently, so you might be able to find it for cheap on Amazon like I did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, thank you! Lots of great suggestions here, some things that I wouldn't have looked at otherwise.

*sigh* now to narrow it down...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G.
United States
Moorpark
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My 11yo boy is currently crazy for Mall of Horror. He also enjoys Starship Catan. Does he like baseball? Harry's Grand Slam Baseball is fun.

He's always wanting to play "I'm the Boss".

Citadels has gotten a few plays. RoboRallye also. Colossal Arena may be a fit.

Please move to California so our boys can play together, they have similar tastes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G.
United States
Moorpark
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Note that Boomtown has a lot of boobylicious artwork.

johncarlton wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Carlton
United States
Shawnee
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
davebo wrote:

And that makes it perfect for an 11 year-old boy. Or maybe 12.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
johncarlton wrote:
davebo wrote:

And that makes it perfect for an 11 year-old boy. Or maybe 12.

Thankfully, not my boy yet, he still thinks girls have cooties.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Walsh
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
badge
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Add another recommendation for Winner's Circle.

Also:
Liar's Dice
Oltremare

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Speaking as one with an 11 yo son as well, I'd go with:

Nexus Ops

You might also try Shadows over Camelot--the idea of a traitor is attractive to boys at that age, I think--and the whole family might like it too.

Maybe Fury of Dracula or Scotland Yard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michelle Zentis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
How about something like "The Downfall of Pompeii," because there's nothing more fun than throwing your sister's pieces into the volcano. cool

I might also suggest "Fearsome Floors," which is another "The more the merrier" game.

Yes on both counts -- good, fun games that should appeal to the whole family.

I also suggest Diamant/Incan Gold, a wonderful push-your-luck game with wide appeal that plays 8!

Descent might work, if you're all ready for a big step up from HeroScape.

Survive probably would be good, if you can find a copy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.