United States
Hamden
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Check out my audiobooks!
badge
Will talk for food!
mbmbmbmbmb
It's late in the day, and I'm pretty bummed. I've lost two games to glaring mistakes on my part, as well as a game of Tichu where we couldn't get a bomb to save our lives. I need to pull one where I at least have a chance of winning.
Robo Rally. 5 Players. Three Boards. Three Flags. We start in the center board (a vortex of conveyer belts), have to move into a pit on the right-hand board for Flag 1, head across the vortex onto the left-hand board for Flag 2, and return to the right-hand board pit for Flag 3, which is ever so close to Flag 1.
I choose Twonky. I like Twonky. While I play, I refer to Twonky by name. "Twonky moves three." "Twonky will shut down after this turn." "Why would you want to shoot at Twonky?" Maybe I just like to say "Twonky."
Anyway, Dave, Eric P., Al, and Chris choose their robots, and we begin the Robot Dance on our way to the first flag. Early damage is pretty heavy, and by the time Twonky's tagged Flag 1, he's ready to shut down. However, right before the shutdown, Twonky escapes the pit through a teleporter, leaving the other four 'bots to bump and shoot each other in the pit.
One turn later, and still with full health, I send Twonky cruising toward Flag 2. Some 'bots are still trying to get out of the pit.
Twonky tags Flag 2, still with full health, and the other bots are shooting each other and shutting down on the vortex board. Twonky gets hit with a couple of long-distance pot shots, but with the other 'bots headed toward Flag 2, the path to Flag 3 is clear.
It's my game to lose.
Twonky's getting close to Flag 3. He teleports into the pit. Dave's 'bot knocks Eric P.'s 'bot off the board, causing it to respawn on Flag 1, in a last ditch effort to cause some interference for Twonky. Ultimately, Dave was successful, just not in the way he had hoped.
You see, when Eric's bot appeared on Flag 1, some part of my brain locked on that tile, forgetting all about the true goal, Flag 3. When Twonky emerges from the transporter, I send him not right, toward Victory, but left, toward Flag 1.
My opponents, most likely stifling their giggles, mention nothing. Twonky tags Flag 1, and I toss my remaining cards on the table in false triumph. My error is pointed out, and in the two turns it takes me to recover and turn around, Dave's bot jumps off the ledge into the pit, and slides on an oil slick onto Flag 3.
Twonky looks up at me and shakes his tiny pewter head. Sorry, Twonky.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.