Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Boos
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a copy of Mare Mediterraneum already, but I am wondering whether I want to continue struggling through the translations and try and determine how this game plays. I can definitely see I will have to play a few games against myself to see how it all works, so I can explain it to someone else... But I am postulating getting Mare Nostrum and then I woudl sell Mediterraneum. They both seem to be VERY similar in their overall approach.

So I am looking to you fine people here on BGG to help me understand the pluses and minuses of each! Please try and always have at least one plus and one minus for each game when you respond...

Also, I read the article on Serenisissima... any others that shoudl also be considered somewhat similar? (Mediterranean oriented, ancient empire oriented, euro-like rules, appealing to non-wargamers and wargamers alike), and preferably up to 8 people. Incidentally, I have Attila, Euphrates and Tigris, Tyros, and Hellas.

Thanks in advance!
Paul

PS - I am cross posting this to Mare Mediterraneum as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L Z
Italy
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
Re:Question: Nostrum or Mediterraneum?
pmboos (#44077),
I don't know Mediterraneum, but between Serenissima and Mare Nostrum go for Mare Nostrum... it has the same flaws of Serenissima but a lot more good things. And furthermore, Serenissima is more oriented towards commerce, Mare Nostrum more towards war and expansion.
The real alternative is between Empires of the Ancient World and Mare Nostrum! :0
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Boos
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LuZa (#44113),

Hmmm... ??? does commerce play an important role in Mare Nostrum or Empires? I don't want a game that doesn't have any (or little) economic orientation, although it shoudl still also have a conquest feel to it.

Thanks!
Paul

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Boos
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cnd_77 (#44169),

This is quite helpful...

One game I always liked was Supremacy (OK, I know some people hate it), because while the game wasn't fully focused on commerce, it was crucial to winning the game. I really am not interested in any conquest game (I am differentiating slightly from pure war) that doesn't have some aspect of economics. Maybe it doesn't have to be pure commerce, but shoudl have at least macro economic factors relevant during the time period. Right now, I just have keen interest in the empires that were around the Maditeranean.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.