Hide
7 Posts

Carcassonne: King & Scout» Forums » Rules

Subject: Alternative rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: variant [+] Carcassonne [+] rule [+] [View All]
Jake Conde
msg tools
We have every Carcassonne expansion, and we use them. We're using some house rules for the following expansions:

Count of Carcassonne
King and Scout
The River and R2

We've already switched to version 3 farm scoring, but I think that trying to play ever expansion by the rules is way too tedious. Currently, we play the following way.

King: All tiles go into the bag, if you draw the King you get one point for every city completed on the board. If you draw the Baron, one point for all completed roads. If you draw these later than earlier they are more helpful, and also allow for a comeback if someone is really down.

Count: Start game with the twelve tiles, but the Count can be moved whenever you complete a feature that you score no points on. Whatever region the count is in, the corresponding feature is worth one extra point for all players.

River(2): Play one lake tile, then randomly draw from River pile. If you get an end, the river is done, rest of tiles returned to the box.

Well, what do you think? Could we improve this, or do you have better ideas, or are we better off trying to go with the original rules?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurence Parsons
United Kingdom
Charfield
flag msg tools
Old enough to know what's right
badge
Young enough not to choose it
mbmbmbmbmb
seasnake wrote:
King: All tiles go into the bag, if you draw the King you get one point for every city completed on the board. If you draw the Baron, one point for all completed roads. If you draw these later than earlier they are more helpful, and also allow for a comeback if someone is really down.

So you're removing the tactical play of completing someone else's road/city in order to gain (temporary?) hold of the bonus tile, for a random lucky draw of an instant 15-20 points with no meeple required. How is this better?

seasnake wrote:
River(2): Play one lake tile, then randomly draw from River pile. If you get an end, the river is done, rest of tiles returned to the box.

I'm not a big fan of the river, but I think you should play a minimum of one river tile per player. Do you play with both the river and the count at the same time? How does it work?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Conde
msg tools
Quote:

So you're removing the tactical play of completing someone else's road/city in order to gain (temporary?) hold of the bonus tile, for a random lucky draw of an instant 15-20 points with no meeple required. How is this better?

It's better because there is an added element of random chance in the game, you know, like pulling the tile you need to complete a feature. You can play a game down 20 points and know if you get the right tile you have a chance to get back in, so no need to give up (which a lot of people do in a 6-person game). Sort of like in Monopoly, if there's somebody with all the hotels the Street Repairs card can force them to tear a few down and allow someone else back into the game. It's a dash of luck.

The river works well with the count expansion, you just put a starting piece and build out from there like a normal river. We just don't automatically play every river tile, we sometimes have long, two branch rivers or short, three tile rivers. It makes the starting area different and lends itself to different strategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wally Jones
United States
Windermere
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am big Carcassonne fan and my wife play it often and usually with all, or most of, the expansions. With no offense meant, I think your way of play will ruin a great game. It takes most of the strategy out of the game and replaces it with pure luck. I would suggest that if you find certain expansions over powered, like the Count from the sounds of it, simply do not play with it. As for the river, we play with 2 or 3 rivers at once and when drawing a river tile you can add to any river you wish. And if you draw a lake you can end any river you wish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
It's better because there is an added element of random chance

I believe most people will disagree. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Conde
msg tools
It's a game of strategy but is also a game of luck, i.e. will I draw the tile I want or not?
The major problem with King and Scout is that it is OP, and most people simply ignore it. I mean, one point per road or city is awful, yet we have it, and would like to use it. Also, trying to track in a game with more than two people who completed the longest city/road can be a total nightmare.
For these reasons I think this expansion can be done better, and there needs to be an alternate way to use it to make play more streamlined. The count is the same way, it can be a beast waiting while people decide if they are shuffling their followers in and out of the city, this way the count simply raises the score of some features.
I don't know, maybe I just like fun more than board game purity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.