I was appointed as the Army Group “Mitte” (Center) commander. To my disposal I had 4th and 9th Army as well as 2nd and 3rd Panzergruppe. All units were fully equipped with supply, our supply base located near Warschau was also full.
From gallery of Lord Voldemort

Luftwaffe started the strike and found front line defended only by infantry.

And then 2 Panzergruppe managed to capture Brest, which was defended by the Soviet 19th Army. (First action is the move of the 2 Panzergruppe).

After capturing Brest, 2 Panzergruppe spent 1 more fuel to regroup and advance towards Bereza. The rapid advance caused v. Halder to decide that capturing Minsk should be vital now (medal token has been moved from Smolensk to Minsk).

Finally, 2 Panzergruppe advanced towards Novogrudek, where the loads of fuel left by the retreating Red Army was left over.

Then, it was time for the 3 Panzergruppe to act. Alytus was defended by the Soviet 22 Mech Corps.

At the cost of 2 ammo and 1 fuel, the enemy was defeated. Bridge on Niemen river was secured. Regrouping and further movement required another fuel.

After placing control marker in Alytus, encircled enemy in Grodno and Bialystok surrendered. Soviet markers were removed from the board to the pool and 2 control markers placed. What is more, 2 cards from the Soviet Deck were discarded.

However, Vilnius was defended by second echelon – Soviet 20 Army. Only the last loads of munitions allowed success.

City was captured, but 3 Panzergruppe was completely run out of supplies.

Railhead was advanced towards Bialystok.

After complete disaster of the Western Front, STAVKA decided to concentrate its defense around Moscow. Soviet marker was placed in Rzhev, along the “Protect objective cities” priority on the Front Card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
But there was no time to waste. 3 units of trucks were sent to refill 2 Panzergruppe with supplies.

This allowed further advance on Minsk, where some lost munitions of the Red Army were captured.

In Borisov, a sad news about Rommel’s failure in Africa has reached our ears.

In Orsha, Soviet 22 Army tried to defend the down, but was no match for the Panzers.

Railhead was further advanced towards Grodna. Still too far from the advancing formations.

Soviets have secured their positions around Kaluga.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandros Boucharelis
Greece
Drama
flag msg tools
designer
badge
ubi bene ibi patria // vidi perfutui veni
Microbadge: Wargamer of 30+ yearsMicrobadge: Card-Driven Wargames fanMicrobadge: Byzantine Empire fanMicrobadge: Commands & Colors Ancients fanMicrobadge: Solitaire Wargamer
Hi Waldek,
thanks for doing this, we really need it, for sure seems interesting, how about the other 2 fronts? you play only center?
I thought there where automa cards for all fronts, thats why i ask.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You play solitaire games on one front only. Thus, you have 3 different scenarios to play alone (or as a preparation before playing with real opponents).
I've chosen the center front to cover, maybe there will be more sessions, to present the South and the North (perhaps with the harder version of AI cards if they will be funded).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Now it was time for the infantry to move on. 9 Armee moved to Alytus and 4 Armee moved to Bialystok. With this pace, they are going to be around Moscow no sooner than in late 1942…

That’s why Army Group Command has to order dispatch of supplies to 3 Panzergruppe.

We must keep to our agenda!

Railhead was advanced towards Novogrudek.

Soviet defense line around Moscow is now completed, with the Soviet marker placed in Mozhaisk.

Maybe, I should have ordered 2 Panzergruppe to advance to Mozhaisk. It would have been extremely risky, but on the other hand, Moscow would be just a few miles away…
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
3 Panzergruppe moved through Minsk and Borisov and suddenly advanced on Vitebsk, to secure our flank.

It was a wise decision, which allowed us to crush the Soviet 21 Army, before it could be reinforced with some terrible new tanks, like T-34 or KV-1.

Having used the air support before, it was high time to ask the OKH for the reserve air units.

We must have air support in our drive towards Moscow. Enemy seems to be stil weak. Air recon spotted no tanks.

2 Panzergruppe captured Smolensk, refilling food supplies with some requisitions.

Vyazma was captured without any defense as well, however Partisans near Bialystok managed to destroy our railway.

Enemy defense in Mozhaisk was crushed with the help of Luftwaffe. Moscow is so close!

Railway near Bialystok was repaired (again). But our lines were overextended. Armored forces advanced too fast, while the infantry marched too slowly. Minsk was (temporary) lost due to enemy counter-attack.
(Armies protect adjacent areas. No Army was adjacent to Minsk.)
Fortunately, at the easy level, no new Soviet marker was placed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gurnikan
Spain
Sabadell
Barcelona
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Silver Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: Greenbrier Games "Folklore: The Affliction" Contest participantMicrobadge: Star Wars: Legion fanMicrobadge: Nomads - Free Spacefarers
In last image, how is the counteratack triggered if there are no soviet markers nearby?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gurnikan wrote:
In last image, how is the counteratack triggered if there are no soviet markers nearby?
Soviet markers do not have to be adjacent to perform the counter-attack.
Areas without the control markers have a "weak" Soviet control - enough to strike on unprotected player's markers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
9 Armee was reprimanded and ordered to recapture Minsk. No significant defense was there, only the Soviet airstrike. Minsk was in our hands again.

Now it was time to ask for more trains from the Reich. We must deliver stock to the frontline, otherwise the campaign will be lost.

Railhead was advanced towards Minsk. STAVKA is gathering forces around Nelidovo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
One could say that our advance had stuck in the mud...

Trains finally delivered supplies to Novogrudek.

9 Armee moved to Borisov.

Railhead was advanced towards Borisov. Soviet Marker was placed in Yelnia.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tons of supplies were transported by rail to Borisov.

9 Armee forced marched to Smolensk.

Railhead was advanced towards Orsha.
Soviet marker was placed in Velkiye Luki.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finally, the ground was frozen and our armies were able to advance.
9 Armee moved to Vyazma.

Last remaining trucks were used to transport munitions to the front. Will it be enough to break the defenses around Moscow?

STAVKA gathered their forces around Briansk. Rumors are that new general – Zhukov has been appointed command, and a major counter offensive is going to be launched soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
2 Panzergruppe was ordered to advance. 1 ammo was spent to destroy the bunkers. The defenders of Moscow were units of the 26 Army.

Fortunately, 2 Panzergruppe had just enough loads of munitions. In a fierce fight defense was crushed and Moscow was taken!

With continuous line of supply towards Warsaw, automatic victory was achieved.

It took about 40 minutes of play (including taking photos all the time).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dust Path
msg tools
Microbadge: Europa Universalis: The Price of Power fanMicrobadge: Diplomacy fanMicrobadge: William Faulkner fan
A few questions:

1) What decisions made you think hard? Why?

2) At each step, how did you analyze the current situation? How did you deduct any information based on what has happened so far?

3) What were the strategically different options compared to your plan?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Dickens II
United States
Canton
Ohio
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Dinosaur IslandMicrobadge: Endeavor: Age of Sail fanMicrobadge: The Networks fanMicrobadge: UBOOT fanMicrobadge: Scythe fan
I really enjoyed following your solo play through. The game looks like it would be fun either solo or with other players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandros Boucharelis
Greece
Drama
flag msg tools
designer
badge
ubi bene ibi patria // vidi perfutui veni
Microbadge: Wargamer of 30+ yearsMicrobadge: Card-Driven Wargames fanMicrobadge: Byzantine Empire fanMicrobadge: Commands & Colors Ancients fanMicrobadge: Solitaire Wargamer
i also enjoyed your playthrough but the solo aspect of the game left me with a taste of "meh"...

it seems more of practice to pass your time while waiting to play with other 2 friends..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dustonthepath wrote:
A few questions:

1) What decisions made you think hard? Why?
First hard decision was which OKH should I take (Stuka or Panzerhaubitzen). I postponed it as long as I could.

Second hard decision was 3 Panzergruppe move to Vilnius - it was quite a risky one, and it stopped there completely run out of supplies (a bad situation generally).

Third hard decision was 2 Panzergruppe lack of raid on Mozhaisk in 3rd turn. If succeeded, it would prevent placement of the Soviet marker there, however there will be no line of supply as it would be vulnerable to counterattacks. Maybe I will try more risky approach next time.

Quote:

2) At each step, how did you analyze the current situation? How did you deduct any information based on what has happened so far?
It is quite simple. You must always count the areas you need to get to Moscow. And how far are your armies from the supply base.

Quote:

3) What were the strategically different options compared to your plan?
I am not sure what you mean, can you clarify this question? Do you refer to other possible openings in the game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kastrologos wrote:
i also enjoyed your playthrough but the solo aspect of the game left me with a taste of "meh"...

it seems more of practice to pass your time while waiting to play with other 2 friends..
I don't like solo games actually, but this is different. It plays quite fast and it's really challenging.

You may know the "best" opening (there is no such a thing, much depends on what will be on the enemy cards you draw), but there will be no two identical games, even if you try to repeat your moves.

The AI card in the hard version is even more challenging (it can place Soviet markers in certain locations that need not to be connected with one already on the map).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michał Radecki
msg tools
Question regarding pursuit card "Soviet Bomber" from storytelling perspective - it forces to spend additional fuel - how this can be explained? Units uses additional fuel to hide/find alternate route to the bombed one? Same thing was wondering me in RtR for "Les Boches" (btw. what does it mean?) card - was it spending fuel to avoid an ambush or blocked route?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lars1992 wrote:
Question regarding pursuit card "Soviet Bomber" from storytelling perspective - it forces to spend additional fuel - how this can be explained? Units uses additional fuel to hide/find alternate route to the bombed one?
Yes, something like that.

Quote:

Same thing was wondering me in RtR for "Les Boches" (btw. what does it mean?) card - was it spending fuel to avoid an ambush or blocked route?
You can translate it as "Szkopy" (in Polish) - French offensive word for German soldiers. It represents that the local people inform you about possible ambush and you need to slow down, regroup and check it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olivier CHANRY
France
TOURS
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: Fief fanMicrobadge: RocketmenMicrobadge: Quartermaster General fanMicrobadge: Conflict of Heroes: Guadalcanal fanMicrobadge: 1775: Rebellion fan
Quote:
Solitaire game
In a solitaire game, the areas belonging to two non-player army groups (including double-color areas) are permanently controlled by these non-player commanders. Place their markers on these areas to block them. You cannot enter or capture these areas.
But on your setup, the double-color areas are free to go??

Quote:
Two-player game
In a 2-player game, the areas belonging to the third Army Group (including double-color areas, if the non-player is gray or brown) are permanently controlled by this third non-player Army Group. Place their markers on these areas to block them. Players cannot enter or capture these areas.
Same for a 2-player game.

What is the good rule?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Viktor Karlsson Mantel
Sweden
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Combat Commander: Europe fanMicrobadge: Quartermaster General fanMicrobadge: Roads & Boats fanMicrobadge: Age of Steam fanMicrobadge: Root fan
So just go the most direct way to moscow and thats it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Welldone wrote:
Quote:
Solitaire game
In a solitaire game, the areas belonging to two non-player army groups (including double-color areas) are permanently controlled by these non-player commanders. Place their markers on these areas to block them. You cannot enter or capture these areas.
But on your setup, the double-color areas are free to go??

What is the good rule?
I was testing easy variant with wider White front (and will update the rules).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dust Path
msg tools
Microbadge: Europa Universalis: The Price of Power fanMicrobadge: Diplomacy fanMicrobadge: William Faulkner fan
In a nutshell, what I am looking for is to get a feel for the solo play "intensity".

- Does it make you feel like after getting the latest reports from the frontline, inspecting the horizon with your binocular and reading the latest dispatch from OKH, you are about to take some serious/risky decisions? Decisions, which would determine the fate of thousands of troops, the fate of the Reich?

- Or is it more the feeling of "well, if I roll 4/5/6 I will win or I loose- type of situation (even if there is no dice involved)

For me solo-play is an important aspects of this type of game, more important than multi-player. I also like "playing against myself" if the game semantics allow this with some tweaking. OTOH, two (or three) German Army Groups steals quite a bit of thunder for me -even as multiplayer-.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michał Radecki
msg tools
Lord Voldemort wrote:
lars1992 wrote:
Question regarding pursuit card "Soviet Bomber" from storytelling perspective - it forces to spend additional fuel - how this can be explained? Units uses additional fuel to hide/find alternate route to the bombed one?
Yes, something like that.

Quote:

Same thing was wondering me in RtR for "Les Boches" (btw. what does it mean?) card - was it spending fuel to avoid an ambush or blocked route?
You can translate it as "Szkopy" (in Polish) - French offensive word for German soldiers. It represents that the local people inform you about possible ambush and you need to slow down, regroup and check it out.
Thanks! Btw, few questions regarding pursuit deck and players:

1. Looking at tabletop deck, I see that pursuit decks are not even for all players? Is it enough, as it seems that barbarossa map is bigger than from RtR?
2. Operation Silberfuchs is an event card or some extra card for Nord player? Its format is not matching the one of the event card.
3. In general, what are the challenges for each of the Army Groups? Sud is having very wide area of operations, Mitte - the narrowest, Nord is also having wide advance belt. For Sud and Nord does it mean that you need to either focus on Moscow or yours victory city?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |