United States
Glendora
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In honor of the great Franz-Benno Delonge, designer of eurogame classics like TransAmerica, Big City, Dos Rios, Manila and the new classic, Container, please join us in donating to the American Cancer Society to help fight the disease that claimed his life at only fifty years of age.

As a tribute to this terrific designer, Boardgame Babylon is hosting a TransAmerica tournament for donors at Boardgamegeek.CON on November 16th from 5 to 8 PM. The tournament will be a single elimination event, with Rio Grande Games kindly providing copies of the game for play. The finalists will win prizes provided by supporting game companies, retailers, and others helping with the drive. These wonderful companies include:

* Boardgamegeek.com (uh, that place where you are reading this)
* Meeple People.com (www.meeplepeople.com)
* Rio Grande Games (www.riograndegames.com)
* Strategicon (www.strategicon.net)
* Thoughthammer Games (www.thoughthammer.com)
* Time Well Spent (www.timewellspent.org)
* Valley Games (www.valleygames.ca)
* Your Move Games (www.yourmovegames.com) JUST ADDED! THANKS!

If you would like to help as a sponsor, please contact us at: sheylon@gmail.com. We are raising donations for a great cause but prizes are a nice extra thank you for donors who are supporting the drive.

Just make your donation here and you will be included in the tournament: http://main.acsevents.org/goto/boardgamebabylon

Further details are on the donation page.

You do not need to be at Boardgamegeek.CON to participate!

We welcome contributions from friends and fans of Judge Delonge's even if you are not attending the event but you would just like to honor his memory with a donation. We will even have a drawing after the tournament for some prizes to go out to donors that are 'playing at home' if they cannot join us at BGG.CON. This is open to gamers in all countries! If you win a prize and the supporting company won't pay to ship it to you, I will!

Of course, the REAL reason to support this effort is to fight this terrible disease - the prizes are just a nice thank you for supporting the cause. Your contribution goes directly and entirely to the American Cancer Society - the costs of setting up the event and prizes are being paid for by the terrific companies and individuals involved. Please donate what you can - it is all appreciated!

Once again, here is the link: http://main.acsevents.org/goto/boardgamebabylon

Thanks in advance to those who support of this event and this cause. I certainly believe this is a good way to honor Benno for all the great games he gave to us while also working towards the goal of a cancer-free world.

E.R. Burgess
www.boardgamebabylon.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall Miller
United States
Malden
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
The Warren is a roleplaying game about intelligent rabbits trying to make the best of a world filled with hazards, predators and, worst of all, other rabbits.
badge
Marshall is a Boston-based researcher and game designer.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Franz-Benno Delonge Memorial Fund Raiser and BGG.CON Tou
Awesome. I will really miss this great designer. I have really enjoyed all of his games.

[edit] The awesome refers to the fact that there is a fund raiser in his honor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bulldozers
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Odds are, sooner or later, we all will be robbed of one of our friends, or family members by one of the many many variations of cancer.

It is my personal experience that families robbed of their loved ones, greatly appreciate the future hope and promise of financial contributions. I believe they desire that others won't ever have to feel the horrible loss they themselves have felt.

Give up a couple Starbucks, a pack or two of smokes, put off a game for a couple weeks, and it'll be easy to contribute even a small amount.

Thanks for putting this together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Fall
Sweden
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent idea. I think I will try to get a group together to play Big City and Manila on November 16th. Wouldn´t it be great if there was a massive amount of Delonge games being played worldwide and logged on BGG for that day?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bohrer
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for organizing this worthy charity event. The onset of Benno's throat cancer several months ago was horrible. I am certain that he would have given this legitimate Fund Raiser his full and unqualified support.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
admin
Convention Committee
badge
BGG.CON! BGG.CON SPRING! BGG@SEA!
mbmbmbmbmb
This is ridiculously awesome.

Can you run a 400-player single-elimination tourney in 3 hours time?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Maddening
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AnakinOU wrote:

Shoot, the exhibitor area will be open until 6, so unless I get a bye, I'm out of luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
admin
Convention Committee
badge
BGG.CON! BGG.CON SPRING! BGG@SEA!
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremyffg wrote:
AnakinOU wrote:

Shoot, the exhibitor area will be open until 6, so unless I get a bye, I'm out of luck.

But if everyone's playing in the tourney, who would you be exhibiting to?

I say close down the booth an hour early.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E.R. Burgess
United States
Glendora
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If we actually get 400 players to donate and get in the tournament, I'll figure out a way to do it. I DO have ideas for this if we get that many generous people who want to support the cause.

...Sheylon
www.boardgamebabylon.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james napoli
United States
Westwood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i'm not really into transAmerica, but it's a great cause and i'll happily contribute and support!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Harmon
United States
Novato
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Well, I won't be at BGG.CON for any tourneys, but I'd be a fool to let that stop me from giving.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Curtis
United States
Plainfield
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for doing this. I lost my mom to cancer a couple of years ago and my wife is about to lose her step father to lung cancer. My contribution was made earlier today.

I've never played Transamerica, but after glancing at the rules it seems pretty straight forward. If you only want experienced players in the tournament that's fine, I would have contributed anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Mellon
United States
Erie
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for hosting sheylon. We're in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E.R. Burgess
United States
Glendora
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always been proud to be a member of this community (BGG.com and the overall tabletop gamer community). But never as proud as I am today - we're at over $1,000 in less than twenty-four hours and still climbing!

Please remember that any size donation is much appreciated!

Also, Jason S has kindly created a microbadge for donors to show your support, too.

Thanks to all who have given so far and to those who plan to do so soon!

...Sheylon
www.boardgamebabylon.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Pulles
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife is a breast cancer survivor and I donate yearly to the Canadian Cancer Society.

I think that this is a wonderful idea... I wish that more Conventions would run charity events like this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burster of Bubbles, Destroyer of Dreams.
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
Just imagine the red offboard up here. I'll create it Real Soon Now...
badge
Yes, I know a proper 18XX tile should have a tile number.
mbmbmbmbmb
A link to all of his games: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/search.php3?designerid=57

If I don't play in the TransAmerica tournament, I'll try to get into a game of Manila, Container, or Goldbräu at that hour...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Daniels
United States
Walled Lake
Michigan
flag msg tools
Just a small donation for a good cause. I beat cancer about 30 years ago and just recently was diagnosed with another incurable type of cancer. I am traveling and getting in as much gaming as I can. See everyone at BGG.CON

John
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E.R. Burgess
United States
Glendora
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Every donation counts! Thank you for helping support the cause. I should note that the ACS Web Site has a $10 minimum and does not take PayPal. I'm seeing if I can set up a PayPal account for money to go to them so people can use that option and donate any amount.

Also, all donors should have the ACS Supporter microbadge so wonderfully (and quickly!) put together by Jason S. Now you can wear your microbadge to show your support.

...Sheylon
www.boardgamebabylon.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wilder
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A great cause. I'm in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E.R. Burgess
United States
Glendora
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JoeyHemlock wrote:
A great cause. I'm in.

Thanks! You have your badge. I think they are mostly distributed although a few people might be missing theirs. If you didn't get it, let me know.

We're at 28% of our goal of $5,000 after about three days. Two weeks to BGG.CON - let's see if we can get to the goal before the event!

...Sheylon
www.boardgamebabylon.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Matthews
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A superb idea. Thank you for organizing it.

Jason

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E.R. Burgess
United States
Glendora
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the donation - we're over 30% to the goal now!

...Sheylon
www.boardgamebabylon.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Count me in...
...as a prize donor, anyway. There's no way I can do a tournament and still run my booth!

Email on the way...

Best,
Chad
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E.R. Burgess
United States
Glendora
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chad_Ellis wrote:
...as a prize donor, anyway. There's no way I can do a tournament and still run my booth!

Email on the way...

Best,
Chad

Thanks, Chad - you've been added to the list of generous sponsors!

...Sheylon
www.boardgamebabylon.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E.R. Burgess
United States
Glendora
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a final reminder to please join us in donating the American Cancer Society in honor of Franz-Benno Delonge. Our efforts so far have gotten us to 35% of our goal and we are aiming to reach it by the day of the memorial tournament on November 16th at BGG.CON.

Here's the link to donate: http://main.acsevents.org/goto/boardgamebabylon

Remember that you do not need to attend BGG.CON to donate or even to win one of the prizes that our generous sponsors have donated as a thanks for your support of this important cause. If you are interested in knowing about the prizes, here is what you can win by playing in the TransAmerica tournament at BGG.CON:

Grand Prize: Franz-Benno Delonge's Essen 07 Release, Container (kindly donated by Valley Games)

Second through fifth places will get one of the following gifts:

A $50 gift certificates from Meeple People.com (kindly donated by Meeple People)
Your Move Games Prize Pack (kindly donated by Your Move Games - just added!)
$25 Gift Certificate from Time Well Spent Games (kindly donated by www.timewellspentgames.com)
A prize provided by the nice folks at Thoughthammer Games (kindly donated by www.thoughthammer.com)

Plus, there'll be some fun bonus prizes for tournament participants from Boardgame Geek, Rio Grande, Meeple People, and some of the other sponsors.

If you are NOT ATTENDING BGG.CON YOU CAN STILL WIN one of our 'play at home' prizes. These include:

A copy of Hannibal: Rome vs. Carthage (kindly donated by Valley Games) A $50 Gift Certificate from Meeple People.com (kindly donated by Meeple People)
A free pass to Strategicon's Orccon 2008 with special guest Steve Jackson (kindly donated by Strategicon)

Also, if you are a member of the Boardgame Babylon Guild on Boardgamegeek.com and have donated, you will have a chance to win a Boardgame Babylon Prize Pack, including a Boardgame Babylon t-shirt and a copy of Cucoloris' CD, "Unfurl". I'm only restricting this to BGB Guild members because, frankly, it would be nice if this went to a BGB listener. The guild is free to join at this link: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/guild/138.

Lest we forget, the TRUE reason to donate is to support the fight against this horrible disease and to honor the great Franz-Benno Delonge.

PLEASE MAKE YOUR DONATION BY NOVEMBER 15 in order to be included in the tournament or "Play At Home" prize drawings. They will take place at BGG.CON on November 16th. Thanks again to all the donors so far and to those of you who will add to our total before the deadline. Every little bit helps in the fight for a cancer-free world!

Here's that link again: http://main.acsevents.org/goto/boardgamebabylon

...ERB

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.