Subject: Fan Deck: The Mandalorian rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Roman F
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Cage Match! fanMicrobadge: Star Wars: Epic Duels fanMicrobadge: Puerto Rico fanMicrobadge: I'm a Terraforming Mars fan!Microbadge: Gen Con attendee
Just throwing some ideas out there. This deck needs more of a core idea than just a direct damage dealer but it's a start.

External image

Movement: 2

Special ability: Draw 2 cards any time you defeat a sidekick and draw 4 cards any time you defeat a hero.

The Mandalorian
14 HP
Ranged

IG-11
6 HP
Ranged

The Mandalorian - 13 cards

4x QUICK DRAW
A2. AFTER COMBAT: Gain 1 action.

1x TASER SHOCK
A5. Can only be used against an adjacent fighter.
AFTER COMBAT: The player controlling the opposing fighter loses 1 action.

1x SLUG THROWER
A5. AFTER COMBAT: If you won the combat, deal 2 additional points of damage to the opposing fighter.

2x BESKAR ARMOR
D4. AFTER COMBAT: Draw a card.

1x FLAMETHROWER
Scheme
Do 3 damage to any fighter. Move that fighter up to 3 spaces.

2x I LIKE THOSE ODDS
Scheme
The Mandalorian does 2 damage to all heroes he can attack and 3 damage to all sidekicks he can attack.

2x CABLE SHOT
Scheme
Choose a character you can attack. Move that character adjacent to the Mandalorian. That character takes 2 damage.

IG-11 - 4 cards

3x BRISTLING WITH GUNS
A4. AFTER COMBAT: IG-11 does 2 damage to all other characters he can attack.

1x ORDER TO TERMINATE
A7. If the target is not destroyed then IG-11 is destroyed.

Basics - 13

3x FEINT

3x REGROUP

3x SNIPE

2x DASH

2x EXPLOIT
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roman F
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Cage Match! fanMicrobadge: Star Wars: Epic Duels fanMicrobadge: Puerto Rico fanMicrobadge: I'm a Terraforming Mars fan!Microbadge: Gen Con attendee
There's a PDF of the deck available here:

http://www.geektopiagames.com/games/unmatched/the-mandaloria...

Would love feedback and ideas on it, I don't think this is a finished product by any means.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B.C. Wendel
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
Microbadge: NHL Power Play Team-Building Card Game fanMicrobadge: Golden Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: Level 02 BGG posterMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: I was here for BGG's Tenth Anniversary!
I am going to print this out and give it a shot soon. I'm curious to see if it will be too strong or weak or if it works just right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B.C. Wendel
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
Microbadge: NHL Power Play Team-Building Card Game fanMicrobadge: Golden Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: Level 02 BGG posterMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: I was here for BGG's Tenth Anniversary!
I played this deck a few times today. I had fun with it.

First time, I was doing really well against Medusa but she got me with her deadliest attack and I had no defense so I lost.

Second time, I destroyed Sinbad. He had no chance. Some pretty powerful attacks in this deck.

Third time, I got destroyed by Sinbad. His speed was up to 5 and I didn't have any defenses, just a whole lot of offense. He trapped me in a corner and I was done for.

Some times I felt like this deck was too strong, but other times I felt like I didn't have enough defense, so I guess it was pretty balanced in the end. IG-11's Bristling with Guns didn't work out as well for me as I had hoped when the little guys moved out of range. Taser Shock and Quick Draw were really cool. Slug Thrower felt a little OP but I only won 1 out of 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt W
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Microbadge: I love AustraliaMicrobadge: Super Smash Bros. fanMicrobadge: Star Wars: The Mandalorian
First time BGG poster but I'm a huge fan of SWED, the Geektopia decks, and The Mandalorian, so this is as good a time as any to join in the fun. I recently ordered a copy of Unmatched Vol. 1 and stumbled across this discussion while researching custom decks. Below are some suggested additions to your fantastic initial ideas, broken out into 3 core themes from the show, as well as my own attempt to build a deck that reflects these themes:

1. More emphasis on Mando's reliance on bounties (attack)
- I wanted the deck to simulate Mando's bounty hunting way of life as much as possible. To that end, I've proposed two new cards (I CAN BRING YOU IN WARM... and ...OR I CAN BRING YOU IN COLD) that use deck-searching draws to simulate the rewards of successful attacks. The difference in the two cards intends to mimic Mando's two possible approaches to claiming bounties (alive vs dead), with the former doing less damage but yielding greater rewards, and the latter doing the opposite.

2. More emphasis on Mando's reliance on Beskar (defense)
- I also wanted the deck to simulate Mando's quest to rise within the ranks of his religion/tribe by securing more and more Beskar steel, which in turn provides stronger armor for him and the foundlings. To that end, my deck increases the number of BESKAR ARMOR cards and also changes Mando's special ability to provide increasing defensive benefits for each BESKAR ARMOR card in the discard pile, simulating the forging of Mando's increasingly strong armor over time.

3. Inclusion of
Spoiler (click to reveal)
The Child aka "Baby Yoda"
as Mando's sidekick

- As much as I loved the appearance of IG-11 in the pilot episode, I think the longer-term trajectory of the show suggests The Child would make a much more appropriate (and adorable) sidekick. Plus, Mando hates droids. I wanted to make The Child relatively helpless and hard to protect but also worth protecting.

Below is the full deck. I have not playtested and am admittedly a novice in this arena, but I know my ideas will be in good hands with you all!

Movement: 2

Special ability: When The Mandalorian defends, add +1 defense for each BESKAR ARMOR card in your discard pile.

The Mandalorian
14 HP
Ranged

The Child
4 HP
Ranged

The Mandalorian - 15 cards

2x I CAN BRING YOU IN WARM...
A3. AFTER COMBAT: If you won the combat, you may draw 4 cards from the deck, keep 2, return the other 2 to the deck, and reshuffle the deck.
BOOST: 2.

2x ... OR I CAN BRING YOU IN COLD
A6. AFTER COMBAT: If you defeat an opposing fighter with this card, you may draw 3 cards from the deck.

1x THIS IS THE WAY
A4. AFTER COMBAT: If you won the combat, deal 3 additional points of damage to the opposing fighter.

3x BESKAR ARMOR
D4. AFTER COMBAT: Draw 1 card.
BOOST: 0.

3x QUICK DRAW
A2. AFTER COMBAT: Gain 1 action.
BOOST: 3.

1x PULSE SHOCK
A4. Can only be used as a melee attack. AFTER COMBAT: The player controlling the opposing fighter loses 1 action.

1x WHISTLING BIRDS
Scheme. The Mandalorian does 2 damage to all heroes he can attack and 3 damage to all sidekicks he can attack.
BOOST: 1.

1x CABLE SHOT
Scheme. Choose a character you can attack. Move that character adjacent to The Mandalorian. That character takes 2 damage.

1x FLAMETHROWER
Scheme. Do 3 damage to any fighter. Move that fighter up to 3 spaces.

The Child - 3 cards

3x THE CHILD
D-All. AFTER COMBAT: Heal up to 3 points of damage to either The Mandalorian or The Child.
BOOST: 3.

Basics - 12 cards

3x FEINT
A/A2. IMMEDIATELY: Cancel all effects on your opponent's card.

3x REGROUP
A/A1. AFTER COMBAT: Draw 1 card. If you won the combat, draw 2 cards instead.

3x DASH
A/A3. AFTER COMBAT: Move your fighter up to 3 spaces.

3x SNIPE
A/A3. AFTER COMBAT: Draw 1 card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roman F
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
KevinMask wrote:
I played this deck a few times today. I had fun with it.

First time, I was doing really well against Medusa but she got me with her deadliest attack and I had no defense so I lost.

Second time, I destroyed Sinbad. He had no chance. Some pretty powerful attacks in this deck.

Third time, I got destroyed by Sinbad. His speed was up to 5 and I didn't have any defenses, just a whole lot of offense. He trapped me in a corner and I was done for.

Some times I felt like this deck was too strong, but other times I felt like I didn't have enough defense, so I guess it was pretty balanced in the end. IG-11's Bristling with Guns didn't work out as well for me as I had hoped when the little guys moved out of range. Taser Shock and Quick Draw were really cool. Slug Thrower felt a little OP but I only won 1 out of 3.
This is excellent feedback, so glad you had fun with this! As for your remarks about SLUG THROWER, I think you want your deck to have 1-2 big, fun, strong cards. It's more fun that way. Maybe it could be A4 with 3 damage just to soften it up a bit. I'll consider it in integrating Matt's ideas.

Edit: I'm surprised he didn't mop the floor with Medusa. He should be able to easily wipe out her harpies and draw 2 cards every time he does.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt W
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Microbadge: I love AustraliaMicrobadge: Super Smash Bros. fanMicrobadge: Star Wars: The Mandalorian
After doing a more in-depth review of the existing Unmatched decks, I think I need to make a few adjustments to keep Mando's deck thematic and unique but also not too overpowered. I've updated my original post to reflect the following revisions:

- The Mandalorian's HP decreases from 16 to 14 (Roman's original suggestion).
- I CAN BRING YOU IN WARM... decreases from A4 to A3.
- ...OR I CAN BRING YOU IN COLD decreases from A6 to A5.
- THIS IS THE WAY decreases from A5 to A4.
- PULSE SHOCK decreases from A5 to A4.

I've also thought about incorporating WILY FIGHTING and/or SNARK into the Basics for Mando's deck. I want to keep 3 each of FEINT and REGROUP, since those are constants across all the decks so far and I don't want to mess with that balance. I also worry about removing any DASH cards. Mando isn't very mobile, which was deliberate and I think on-brand, but he needs DASH to have some meaningful options for maneuvering. SNIPE is also very thematic, so I don't see any obvious cuts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roman F
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
Matt, overall, I'm very impressed with your version of the deck.

- Special ability - I like your version better, while reserving the "bounty collection" for the cards. The special ability I had was too swing-y.

- I would change I LIKE THOSE ODDS to WHISTLING BIRDS.

- For OR I CAN BRING YOU IN COLD, I would make go with something like: If you defeat an opposing fighter with this card, draw 3 cards. This gives him a "bounty collection" aspect, and it differentiates the card more from I CAN BRING YOU IN WARM.

As for the child, I recently had a friend ask, "You didn't put him with Baby Yoda did you?". However, I think I agree with you that he's the right sidekick, but I'd like to see the rest of the first season play out before committing.

I'm not sure 3x healing will work for a sidekick. I think he needs at least one card to make him a threat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt W
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Thanks for the feedback, Roman; glad some of the ideas landed! Good call on WHISTLING BIRDS, and I like your modifications to OR I CAN BRING YOU IN COLD. That change helps create important differentiation between that, I CAN BRING YOU IN WARM, and THIS IS THE WAY, which is what I wanted. Given that shift, I'm also going to increase the base damage for OR I CAN BRING YOU IN COLD back to A6 and increase the after-combat damage for THIS IS THE WAY from 2 to 3. I think that strikes a good balance between my initial deck and my first revision.

I'm still torn on THE CHILD. Based on the episodes I've seen to date, I wanted to emphasize its vulnerability and unique force defense/healing properties, and I think I'd feel wrong about giving it any offensive cards. I also love the concept of a deck that provides surprising rewards for the hero that dutifully protects the sidekick. That said, I agree with you that we need to see more episodes before we can fully flesh out its powers / dynamic with Mando, and then incorporate that in the deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roman F
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
msw7c wrote:
I'm still torn on THE CHILD. Based on the episodes I've seen to date, I wanted to emphasize its vulnerability and unique force defense/healing properties, and I think I'd feel wrong about giving it any offensive cards. I also love the concept of a deck that provides surprising rewards for the hero that dutifully protects the sidekick. That said, I agree with you that we need to see more episodes before we can fully flesh out its powers / dynamic with Mando, and then incorporate that in the deck.
I'd like to see the rest of the season play out before deciding. At the very least, he could have some kind of "levitation" offensive move, since we saw him use that on the Mudhorn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt W
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
I watched episode 7 last night. Besides being maybe my favorite episode so far, it also confirmed what we'd been speculating about with respect to The Child's cards. Here's my suggested revision to what I originally proposed:

3x FORCE POWERS
A2/D2. DURING COMBAT: Choose one of the fighters in the combat and move them up to 4 spaces. AFTER COMBAT: Choose 1 of the following 2 effects:
- The Mandalorian recovers 3 HP
- The Child recovers 3 HP
BOOST: 3

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roman F
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
Episode 8 showed even more abilities for the child, eh? It also, surprisingly, made IG-11 a more viable choice as a sidekick but I think the Child is the way to go.

We have enough info to finish out a deck for him. You could probably just stick with what you've got for the Child though you have more options now if you don't like the way it play tests.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt W
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
You’re right on all counts - great season finale IMO! I’m going to find a good way to print the deck (and the James Bond one I’m also working on) and start playtesting in the new year. I don’t have the Bruce Lee set but I do have the other 6 official Unmatched characters, so I should have a lot of nice matchups to try out. I’ll have to do some research on the best way to print and then find matching minis (although I could probably just use Yoda and one of the Fett minis from SWED in the interim). My brother has a number of fan decks (including several of yours from Geektopia) for SWED but I’ve never taken the leap myself until now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roman F
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
Of course, I had to get a Moff Gideon deck going as well...

http://www.geektopiagames.com/games/unmatched/moff-gideon/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt W
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Love the Moff Gideon deck ideas. I also just used Jonathan Guberman's awesome Unmatched Maker for the first time, and it really does a great job of bringing The Mandalorian deck to life: https://tinyurl.com/s6wyc4r. I incorporated a few small tweaks (upped The Child's HP by 1, decreased the draw for ...OR I CAN BRING YOU IN COLD from 3 to 2, and limited FLAMETHROWER to in-range opponents). Can't wait to playtest!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roman F
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
I'm trying to figure out what Moff Gideon's special ability would be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt W
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Based on (admittedly limited) screen time in season 1, he seems like a tactically savvy guy who is always one step ahead of his opponents, so his ability should reflect that. I like the idea of letting him mess with opponents’ decks or hands by discarding cards. Maybe something like this:

“At the end of your turn, if there are no opposing fighters in Moff Gideon’s zone, you may discard 1 card from an opponent’s hand at random.”

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roman F
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
I would make 1 chosen card, which would still be a powerful effect. I'm also thinking something like "If all Imperial Troops have been defeated, you may use an action to place one adjacent to Moff Gideon."

Bringing a single troop back isn't a great use of an action, but it would have its uses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt W
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
After lots of playing, analyzing, and tweaking, I'm excited to say that think I have a Mandalorian deck that really works well - it is no longer OP and is even more fun and thematic than earlier iterations.

Unmatched Maker Link: https://tinyurl.com/w8ln5j2

Key updates:
- Scaled down several cards' values to better align with the core Unmatched decks.
- Replaced 1 BESKAR ARMOR with 1 QUICK DRAW. This prevents Mando's defense from getting too OP while also reinforcing QUICK DRAW's importance in setting up Mando's path to victory.
- Revised Mando's special ability. This prevents his defense from being too OP from the jump and forces him to work for his armor upgrades. This also reinforces the deck's "Mandalorian bounty hunter" theme.
- Made the combat effects for 4 cards (BESKAR ARMOR, QUICK DRAW, THIS IS THE WAY, and RISING PHOENIX) contingent on The Child's survival. This reinforces the deck's "protect The Child" theme.
- Replaced FLAMETHROWER with RISING PHOENIX. This removes the least interesting / thematic damage dealing scheme card and inserts an opportunity for Mando and The Child to make a game-changing move together.

Theme: A foundling is in your care. Until it is of age, or reunited with its own kind, you are as its father. This is the way.

Path to Victory: Use QUICK DRAW followed by I CAN BRING YOU IN WARM... or ... OR I CAN BRING YOU IN COLD to claim bounties (draw cards). Then use your bounties to unlock Mando’s elite defense (BESKAR ARMOR) or unleash The Child’s FORCE POWERS to recharge before delivering the kill shot.

Strengths: Versatile cards can be combo’d for powerful single-turn results. Plentiful card drawing combat effects means Mando is well equipped to scale up quickly and play aggressively or defensively as the situation warrants. To support his path to victory, Mando also has a nice utility belt of one-off cards that can deal big damage (THIS IS THE WAY; WHISTLING BIRDS) or support a surprise attack or quick escape (PULSE SHOCK; CABLE SHOT; RISING PHOENIX).

Weaknesses: Several of Mando’s card effects are contingent on his sidekick's survival, but The Child can't take much damage and needs to be protected, at Mando's expense, until Mando can acquire some BESKAR ARMOR and/or heal with FORCE POWERS. If an opponent can take out The Child early, Mando's strongest card combos fall apart, and he likely won’t have acquired enough BESKAR ARMOR to win a mid- or late-game shootout with his compromised offense. Absent RISING PHOENIX, Mando’s maneuverability is also among the weakest in the game.

I would love to hear any feedback!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calvin Candie
msg tools
How are people printing these out of interest? I'm very new to the PNP world, but so excited by Unmatched I've got to try some of these out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt W
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Step 1: Click the link to a fan deck (or make your own) via Jonathan Guberman’s stellar Unmatched Maker website (link here: https://jonathanguberman.github.io/unmatched_maker/).

Step 2: When I’m done working on a given deck, I always click the share link and then bookmark it so I can get back to it in the future. I also usually save a PDF copy in case I want to compare an updated version to prior versions.

Step 3: Set the print settings the way you want them (the “Printing” section of the editor has more info on specific options and reminders).

Step 4: Print out physical copies to cut and then play. I always print first with the PNP settings (black and white, minimal ink) on standard paper while I am playtesting. Once I thought I had a final product, I’d do the “Production” version on ~100lb card stock.

Hope that helps!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calvin Candie
msg tools
Thanks Matt. That is very helpful. So when you are printing the 'final product' do you sleeve or anything like that to assist with the longevity of the pack. I am considering getting my students into this deck creation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt W
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
I think it comes down to personal preference. I am pretty careful with my game components and the friends that I play with are too, so I only ever have to worry about gradual wear over time, which doesn’t bother me. Since it’s relatively cheap to sleeve your cards or just print out a new copy if something unfortunate happens to them, you can’t go wrong either way. That said, if we were talking about an out-of-print game like Star Wars Epic Duels, I would be more inclined to sleeve since it’d be much harder to find or make a replacement set.

Edit: SWED probably isn’t the best example since there are so many dedicated resources for printing original and custom decks, but you get the idea - the more effort/expense required to re-create a deck, the more sense it makes to sleeve.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Marano
United States
Nutley
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Level 03 BGG posterMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Silver Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: Piano playerMicrobadge: I was here for BGG's Tenth Anniversary!
msw7c wrote:
Step 1: Click the link to a fan deck (or make your own) via Jonathan Guberman’s stellar Unmatched Maker website (link here: https://jonathanguberman.github.io/unmatched_maker/).

Step 2: When I’m done working on a given deck, I always click the share link and then bookmark it so I can get back to it in the future. I also usually save a PDF copy in case I want to compare an updated version to prior versions.

Step 3: Set the print settings the way you want them (the “Printing” section of the editor has more info on specific options and reminders).

Step 4: Print out physical copies to cut and then play. I always print first with the PNP settings (black and white, minimal ink) on standard paper while I am playtesting. Once I thought I had a final product, I’d do the “Production” version on ~100lb card stock.

Hope that helps!
Another thing I do for possible future convenience is to print the cards to a PDF, and then archive that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam W
msg tools
Just thought I'd post that I went through and used all the end credit art for the cards.

End Credit Art Deck
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |