Gary Simpson

California
msg tools
designer
publisher
Hell-o all,

I saw how much help you have all been with DanceswithBeagles's card game layout so I'm hoping for some of the same great critical feedback towards one of my own.

The Setup:
The idea ran from sky pirates that flew in world war 2 who in turn became war privateers for various combating nations. The setting itself is an alternate earth where the atomic age never happened, instead to be replaced by weird tech inspired by Tesla and magnetism. Most of the theme would be played out in the artwork with (hopefully) most of the gameplay centering around the players being rival sky pirates.

sample card art:

Warbride raid over Tunsia Territory
and the first recorded use of Tesla Cannons

The bulk of gameplay with be enacted with cards, so I would really like to give them the full run-through for usability. Card design that is intuitive enough that my 12 yr. old nephew can pickup and get into. That being said, the ultimate goal of the game design is for a series of pocket games set in the same weird war world, so I would love a measure of continuity across them as well.

sample card designs:

I figure now would be a great time to get nit-picky during the concept stage and hopefully garner some great feedback from fellow designers & enthusiasts.

Let me know what seems to fly and what doesn't. I'll be happy to flesh out anything to be more specific.

Cheers!

Simpson

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Kiser
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Re: Card Layout - Sky Pirates
gsimpson wrote:

Let me know what seems to fly and what doesn't.
Simpson

Be honest -- was that on purpose???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Simpson

California
msg tools
designer
publisher
Quote:
Be honest -- was that on purpose???

Absolutely not. Puns make babies cry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Doran
United States
Simi Valley
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice cards. I love the sample plane image. I think on the Fleet cards the artwork needs to be more prominent and the text below should only take up about 25% of the card.
With a game like this, the artwork could be amazing and really drive the sale of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken K
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Your cards look sharp and the game sounds great... good story concept.

Are the cards held in hand or are they always played flat on the table? If cards are to be held I think they MUST have their stats along the upper left edge. In fact, they should have some short-hand icons for those times when there isn't a lot of table-space and cards have to be over-lapped.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Simpson

California
msg tools
designer
publisher
Quote:
Nice cards. I love the sample plane image. I think on the Fleet cards the artwork needs to be more prominent and the text below should only take up about 25% of the card.

I'm tempted now to have the fleet card go from portrait to landscape and have the artwork take over the entire card. The distinction might be a shake in the right direction. Some play testers like having the fleet cards in their hands while others lay them out, so this might be a good chance to separate the habit.

Thanks for the tip!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Ashby
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this something that you're intending to get published? Or, is this something that you're putting out there yourself?

If it's the former, then there's way too much work that's already been put into the look of the components. Publishers (from what I've gathered) aren't interested in the look of a game, they'll have their own ideas about what sells/looks good, and their own art departments to craft it.

That being said, allow me to be the first to say: NOM NOM NOM.

...Ahem.

Ok, colors rock, art rocks (indeed, it r0x0rz in the language of today).

Layout:
2 things: frames and icons. You need more.

Specifics? Fine, here:
Fleet back: I'd axe both the game's logo and the word "Fleet", center the plane icon, and jazz up the background, maybe overlay the icon on a nice grungy intrument panel or radar.

Fleet: How much info goes here? As it stands now, you can get away with filling the card with art, and have just an icon inset in the bottom of the frame.
Territory: move the name to the top, separate the name and silhouette with a frame, and inset the VPs in the bottom. You can probably axe the "Victory Points" text too, or at least move it below the icon (which rocks, btw).

Medal: rocks, for the most part, I'd get rid of the "Medal" text and separate the name from the art with a frame.

Fame/Infamy: I assume this is double sided? Move the icon to the top, and color and embellish it as a visual indicator, I'd suggest gold for "Fame", and dark red for "Infamy". Separate the icon from the rest, group the "Fame" text with the reminder text, and get rid of the "While you are famous..." text.

Combat reminder: Totally fine. You could jazz this up by using a bullet graphic instead of the lines to separate points.
On second though, I'd switch to a whiteish background, using a thematic graphic partially faded to white, and black text. Readability is key on reminder cards.

o.0 ok, probably more suggestions than you bargained for, oh well.

Cheers,
Robin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Carlson
United States
Wheaton
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seriously, you have to give us some more details...the theme sounds damn cool. Are you doing this yourself? Published? Do you have rules? Help us out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Simpson

California
msg tools
designer
publisher
Quote:
o.0 ok, probably more suggestions than you bargained for, oh well.

This is exactly the type of suggestions I'm looking for. I want the opinion-driven stuff for all its worth. Make it mac-like with its cult of personality.

That being said, I agree with alot of your layout suggestions (particularly the FAME card and the QUICK COMBAT card). I didn't want the use of frames to be too overpowering but I would like to start using them to make the cards more distinct from each other. I might still keep the heading words (FAME, MEDAL...) as ID tags of sorts for separating the cards out from each other but using color to change them up would be great also.

Since these are just concepts and only took a couple hours to whip up I don't feel too much like its time wasted, but I'm starting to see where I can probably up the design more. Open up the color palette alittle more and add some more graphics like icons and pinup girls (tasteful of course).

Add some more meat to it so its less of a bologna sandwich and more of a hero.

Cheers!

Simpson
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Simpson

California
msg tools
designer
publisher
hughthehand wrote:
Seriously, you have to give us some more details...the theme sounds damn cool. Are you doing this yourself? Published? Do you have rules? Help us out!

I'm setting up a dev blog for the game so that the whole process will be, well basically open for people to check out. The basic concept is to make a few pocket games that share the same alternate earth setting that can be played in-between heavier game sessions.

Wherein Sky Wolves shows the sky piracy that happens during the Weird World War, other pocket game might show the trench warfare or even spy vs. spy angles. Different games & mechanics but with the same backdrop kind-of-thing.

I'll be doing alot of designing and artwork, but I'm hoping to make the setting wide enough to allow other game designers in with their own ideas and even collaborative efforts. I've already enlisted another designer who seems a great fit when it comes to alternate history.

As far as rules, I'll be releasing the basic rulebook this week along with playable minis that people can print out. Advanced rules have been jotted down but probably won't get to developed till more playtesting is done. No sense in jumping guns.

Thanks for all the interest so far!

Simpson

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Orlando Ramirez
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
These card layouts and game concept sounds really neat! I agree with everyone about the fleet cards, the graphic should be more prominent, maybe full card graphic w/ text overlaying in the bottom 25%. Possibly have the graphic fade to white/light color so the dark text is easier to read.

Also.. rounded corners! With all the great art, The 1 thing that stands out the most as the weakest link is the simple gradient on your cards. Maybe add a cloud texture/overlay along with the gradient, or maybe some other generic aerial dogfight scene that's like 20% opaque over the gradient background color. bah.. I hope that makes SOME sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Simpson

California
msg tools
designer
publisher
Re: Sky Wolves: Privateers of the Weird War
This will be the last month of the open beta for SKY WOLVES. The links below are the for the BASIC version. The new year will ring in the ADVANCED version.

PDF Rulebook

Print & Play Sheets

If you are interested in signing up for the ADVANCED version testing, let me know.

Cheers!

Simpson
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Doran
United States
Simi Valley
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried to download but it crashed my home compiuter. I'll try from work on Monday.
I still love the theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Simpson

California
msg tools
designer
publisher
Quote:
I still love the theme.

I've been having a ball with the Weird War games. The Sky Wolves game itself has expanded in game play scope and I'm really excited in releasing the new stuff. If all goes well I'm thinking of releasing a d20 book of the setting just because there is so much stuff for it.

Simpson
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Runehardt wrote:
I tried to download but it crashed my home compiuter. I'll try from work on Monday. I still love the theme.

The BGDF server is not working...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Simpson

California
msg tools
designer
publisher
Here are additional download links:

PDF Rulebook
Print & Play Sheets

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.