Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Elwen
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We’re sorry to announce that we still have no concrete release date for Through the Ages: New Leaders and Wonders. The card printing problem that led to the original delay last month is more difficult to solve than we expected. As a result, we hope to have the game out by Spring of 2020, but we can’t be more specific.

The problem we are trying to solve is that the card backs for the expansion look different than the card backs for the base game. This means players can make out how many expansion military cards their opponents have, or see whether the next prepared event is from the expansion. This is not information players should have.

We apologize for the delay this is causing. We would not be postponing the game’s release, however, unless it was to ensure that every player of Through the Ages and its expansion has a good experience.
The cause of this problem, we have discovered, is twofold.

First, the paper supplier that we used for Through the Ages went out of business. So we simply cannot get the same paper for the expansion. The new paper absorbs card varnish differently, resulting in the card backs for the expansion having a much glossier look than those for the base game.

Second, we have discovered that the card backs for different print runs of the base game do not match each other. This is something we attempted to avoid over the years of printing Through the Ages. But we have been using a third-party printer for these cards (not our usual printer), and it seems that our communication with them on the importance of keeping card backs uniform must have somehow broken down.

This means that no one shade we used for the expansion would match every existing copy of the base game.

The solutions to these problems are also twofold.

First, with our card printer, we are testing different varnishes and papers to find something that is a better match for the existing base games. This process takes time, however. That is one cause of the delay.

Second, we now plan to include a new full set of all the Through the Ages base game military cards in every copy of the expansion. That will make us absolutely sure the card backs match for every game owner. This is the other cause for delay. There are added resources and costs involved in adding all the base game military cards to the expansion. And with three parties that all have to agree (us, the printer, and the card supplier), it is taking time to find a solution.

Also, this means including almost 300 cards in every copy of the expansion, rather than the planned 121. For that reason, we will probably have to raise the price. The original price was $25, and it will likely rise to $30. We apologize for this change, as well, and we hope players understand that this is the only way to ensure that they get the game experience they expect and deserve.

There are some nice side effects of this solution, too. It ensures that players can't distinguish base game cards from expansion cards by how worn the base game cards are. Having a full new military deck in each expansion means any game owner, no matter how well-loved their current military deck is, can play with the expansion without giving information away. And if you wish, you can keep two decks, so when you want to play without the expansion, you don't need to hunt through the deck and pull the expansion cards out.

One other important note: If you preordered the expansion and got a redeem card for it as proof of purchase, your price will still be $25. Also, we are extending the validation date on that redeem card through June of 2020. It says December of 2019 on the card, but that can now be ignored.

We’re still set on bringing players this expansion as soon as it's printed correctly. Our top priority is to make our players happy and to make their gaming experience as flawless as possible. We ask you to stay patient with this delay, if you can.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent response to a problem many publishers never bother to address.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
badge
Someone on the internet is wrong!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for taking the time to get it right. I’d rather have a great product later than a mismatched copy now.

One question - since the expansion is on the app, are there any cards you’ve seen data on that might be tweaked and could be tweaked now that the printing has been pushed back?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
I run through Rahdo's Runthroughs and make right what once went wrong (via annotations)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
this is how you should solve a problem. Fantastic work
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alter Schwede
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
alenen wrote:
Thank you for taking the time to get it right. I’d rather have a great product later than a mismatched copy now.

One question - since the expansion is on the app, are there any cards you’ve seen data on that might be tweaked and could be tweaked now that the printing has been pushed back?
Yes, I really appreciate that solution.

Concerning balancing issues: Please buff Moses!
I mean, with the updated cards, is there anyone by now, that does rank him not the worst leader of all?

If not, please show me one scenario, in which he could shine, that is not easily countered by the enemy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played with the expansion as one of the big EU retailers had it available, and the issue isn't much noticeable with sleeved cards, especially if you don't know where to look.
Actually the biggest color difference is the front side of the cards (which is more colorful) and not the backs. But this goes to show the attention to detail and perfectionism from CGE thumbsupthumbsupthumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanasis Patsios
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wasn't planning on getting the expansion, but the professionalism shown will probably push me over the fence! Other publishers should take notes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd prefer a delay and matching cards than no delay and mismatched ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alani Mani
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Through the Ages - HappinessMicrobadge: Terra Mystica fanMicrobadge: Kingdom Builder fan
I'm reposting my previous comment from thebold thread here as well.

Oh wow, very honorable move here from CGE. Most publishers would just release it as is, so I'm taking my hat off for them.
On the other site, I don't think it is really necessary to include a second full deck of military cards. Most users would not care about slightly different card backs (but of course here on bgg those are in the minority). For those who really care, the probability is high that they sleeve anyway. Different varnish should not be noticeable and colors would be really hard to distinguish.
Probably over the top, but again, I think it's really honorable that they take so much care.
It's just a pretty long delay, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael NaGu
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Benkyo wrote:
Excellent response to a problem many publishers never bother to address.
This.

Also, great communication.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurence C.

CORNEBARRIEU
MIDI PYRENEES (FRANCE)
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thank you for your share

for other board games which have the same problem, we add sleeves with the same backs

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thompson
United States
Homewood
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What about the non military cards? Won't there be extra info from the deck showing which card is next?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I don't expect this type of stated solution for games. Physical games have issues and quirks of the physical world. That said, it's great to see you do this and I hope it works out.

Also, the communication is fantastic. Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Martineau
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
There will be no explanation.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A good solution to an unfortunate problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rickard Nilsson
Sweden
Gothenburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Through the Ages, and I love the communication and transparency here.

That being said, unfortunately I have to drop the first negative comment here.

First of all, this is why I dislike expansions in general. This is an issue I'm constantly afraid of. It didn't need to be an issue, but let's be honest and harsh here and acknowledge the fact that CGE choose to have a non-standard card size where opaque sleeves doesn't exsist.

If you are at all afraid of marked cards, sleeeves is already a must, and a hell to find at all. Opaque sleeves would have hidden both marks and color inconsistency and made it less of a problem, for some.

One solution would actually be to include sleeves instead of all cards.

Second of all, I don't like that this mistake is put on the consumer by having increased cost. I spend a lot of money on board games, it's not a huge economical issue, but more of a princicple that we have to pay for their mistake. Annoying.

Third of all, sure, you address the military cards, but what about the yellow cards? You will be able to tell certain cards aside from other ones. If you run expansion cards only, it will be very obvious when you're about to run in to a wonder/leader. If you run the balanced vanilla, you can make conclusions which specific leader is coming up, depending on what cards you've seen.

This again wouldn't have been a problem if only they picked a size where opaque sleeves existed.

I love CGE and their games, and I want to support them in every way I can, including buying now 5 copies of the app. But I'm not as pleasing with this decision as the rest seems to be. Sorry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

You're unhappy about having to pay $5 more but would be fine if the game fit sleeves which would cost much more to sleeve the entire game? What about folks who don't like sleeves?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King Maple
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I must be a lucky one as I cannot tell cards apart between base game and expansion unless observing up close. Definitely unnoticeable during actual gameplay.

I would not even have known this is an issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rickard Nilsson
Sweden
Gothenburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Coren wrote:
Hi,

You're unhappy about having to pay $5 more but would be fine if the game fit sleeves which would cost much more to sleeve the entire game? What about folks who don't like sleeves?
Absolutely. The $5 is matter of principle, and still they don't provide me with sleeves. That doesn't solve the sleeve problem and it doesn't solve the marked cards for civil cards.

That's just my opinion, as an avid sleever, and I understand most people differ.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
badge
Someone on the internet is wrong!
mbmbmbmbmb
Mysticum wrote:

Third of all, sure, you address the military cards, but what about the yellow cards? You will be able to tell certain cards aside from other ones. If you run expansion cards only, it will be very obvious when you're about to run in to a wonder/leader. If you run the balanced vanilla, you can make conclusions which specific leader is coming up, depending on what cards you've seen.
I don't think this is correct - with the new balanced leader setup, I believe there is a side board with the leaders visible. The card in the deck will only alert you that a leader or a wonder is available next, when the card is drawn, you replace it from the side board.

And if that's still too much knowledge (even though everyone at the table is still privy to the same info, deal from the bottom of the deck.

(Apparently I've had too much experience dealing with Mage Knight imperfections)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marge ajeto
Croatia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Slashdoctor wrote:
I must be a lucky one as I cannot tell cards apart between base game and expansion unless observing up close. Definitely unnoticeable during actual gameplay.

I would not even have known this is an issue.
this is closest to truth..
I'm very lucky that I received this expansion and we have already played five games with it..
I don't like sleeves and I don't like digital..
and nobody of us would even notice that there is a slight difference with cards if it weren't announced by CGE.. and this little difference would exist in every case since base game cards are already used for many times..
btw. it is an excellent expansion to play with and you can feel how much effort and testing was included before releasing it.. and I generally don't like board games expansions..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rickard Nilsson
Sweden
Gothenburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
alenen wrote:
Mysticum wrote:

I don't think this is correct - with the new balanced leader setup, I believe there is a side board with the leaders visible. The card in the deck will only alert you that a leader or a wonder is available next, when the card is drawn, you replace it from the side board.

And if that's still too much knowledge (even though everyone at the table is still privy to the same info, deal from the bottom of the deck.

(Apparently I've had too much experience dealing with Mage Knight imperfections)
What I meant is that given all the cards that's been coming, you can sometimes calculate what the upcoming card might be since some leaders/wonders have one cardback and the other have another cardback. Not a huge problem, but still one I don't like.

And yes, I understand most people don't notice these things during gameplay, but I do. I notice very small differences in paper quality between print runs, which makes expansions terrible, and especially cards that don't have standard card size for sleeves, since sleeves solves this problem right away.

--

I do appreciate CGE's great communication and transparancy, but I also want to point out some critism so they are aware of them. This unique card size have been discussed before, and it has a lot of drawbacks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Mysticum wrote:
This unique card size have been discussed before, and it has a lot of drawbacks.
... but only for people who sleeve cards AND have a problem buying the appropriate size (is it really that difficult to find?), and I'm not convinced that is a significant slice of the market.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rickard Nilsson
Sweden
Gothenburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Benkyo wrote:
Mysticum wrote:
This unique card size have been discussed before, and it has a lot of drawbacks.
... but only for people who sleeve cards AND have a problem buying the appropriate size (is it really that difficult to find?), and I'm not convinced that is a significant slice of the market.
Sure, as with all drawbacks, they are only relevant for the relevant people? It has advantages too, but drawbacks as well, no question.

If you wonder if it difficult to find, the answer is that opaque sleeves doesn't exist on the market AT ALL. The only sleeves that exists is transparent and special made for this game only. Considering the number of board games, it's easy to understand how unique card size they have chosen for this to be the case.

If I'm wrong, please link med opaque sleeves for them and I gladly take everything back. Finding transparent sleeves is hard enough and doesn't even address this problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Mahr
Austria
flag msg tools
"Smart" Phones Killed the Internet
mbmbmbmbmb
Mysticum wrote:
What I meant is that given all the cards that's been coming, you can sometimes calculate what the upcoming card might be since some leaders/wonders have one cardback and the other have another cardback. Not a huge problem, but still one I don't like.
And what alenen meant is, that is not true. All the leaders and wonders, from base game and expansion alike, sit on their separate board. What is shuffled into the decks are proxy cards (Leader 1, Wonder 2, etc.), which all have backs from the expansion. So whenever such a card is top of the deck, you know it will be a Leader or Wonder, but it could be any of these cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Svanström
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
mb
Most serious players would need a new (not worn down) base game anyways, so this whole song and dance about going out of your way to make it a separate expansion feels a bit ridiculous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |