Subject: Kael, son of Gurin? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrick Andersson
Sweden
Eksjö
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Still haven't got a chance to play a match with my Runebound Midnight expansion so I don't know if this is a stupid question. When looking through the hero cards yesterday I couldn't really get Kael's skill that will clear all weapon/armor texts if they cost 4 or more. This would mean that those weapons became a total waste? (Except that they're still worth goods?) But are the items in Midnight so much cheaper than in the original Runebound? Because weapons/armor worth 4 or less in the original Runebound is quite worthless. But I haven't flipped through all the items in Midnight yet so I don't know (want to save it until I play for real).

And also, if the item prices really differ that much, would this hero be unusable in the original Runebound? Or do you just have to change that number to something else (any suggestions?)?

Thanks in advance!
/Pada

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilles Duchesne
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I just got Midnight myself, and I haven't played with that character yet. But as I looked at the new characters, this one indeed made me ponder...

I guess that if I ended up with Kael in regular Runebound, I would simply pump up his magical abilities, try to buy some interesting runes (his card doesn't mention those), and get me some nice allies to handle the range/melee parts. That might just do the trick.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cédric Billette
Canada
Aylmer
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kael is a Defender. In D&D Midnight, the Defender is a monk-type character, one who learned to fight with his body instead of weapons, because weapons are prohibited by Izrador and his legates, and anyone carrying them will be arrested, if not slain outright. Since the Dorns of the North were the first bulwark against the dark forces, they've suffered the most and are now a broken people. Some, however, still carry hope, however tenuous it might seem.

So carry this setting to Runebound: Midnight, and this Dorn Defender character doesn't really use weapons or armour so as not to attract attention to himself, yet he's far from harmless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Zebro
United States
Nazareth
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent explaination!
I haven't followed the Midnight RPG this is great background info.
thanks ..... taz

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Segard
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am picking up my copy of RB Midnight tonight, so I haven't had a chance to play with him yet but seeing his card online has really intrigued me.

Firstly, I love the monk feel I get from him. I've played a fair amount of D&D, and the monks have been one of my favorite classes since 3rd edition came out.

After the initial joy wore off, I started thinking about how he would work in a regular game of Runebound, since that's likely where he'll see most of his use with my normal group. At first glance, he strikes me as someone that will take longer to kill something but probably won't take much damage along the way, with 4s in everything and the option to boost them to 7 right off the bat. Defender indeed.

There's not much armor that will help him, with the Shell Shield and Leather Armor being about it. A few weapons can come in handy, such as the Black Dagger, Fang Dagger, and Dragontooth Hammer. Even the Scorpion Sting, an item I would normally ignore, might see some use with him.

After that, allies and arifacts should round him off nicely. My theory is to try and keep his stats as even as possible, and get a stamina upgrade or two to keep the +3s coming. I think he'll be fun character to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Segard
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, picked it up and tried him out, and let me say he's quite fun. Now before I get into it, let me point out that we use the market deck variant floating around on various Runebound fan sites where you divide the market deck into 4 stacks; weapons, armor, allies, and "other". This helps Kael out in the same way it helps Steelhorns (Nothing sucks more than playing Steelhorns and drawing an ally every market step you take). I would never draw a weapon or armor card myself, but I'd keep an eye out for any 3 cost or less that someone else would pull but not pick up.

While leveling, I kept his stats as even as possible and in the end I found +stamina to be much more important to him than +health. While many challenges could take a while to bring down, he hardly ever got damaged. Later on when I was taking on blues and heading towards reds, I picked up an Orcish Boarbracer which really helped quite a bit.

In the end, I'd say he's no worse off than any other character. He may not be for everyone as he takes a little more patience to beat challenges, but I found him to be rather enjoyable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.