Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Binning
United States
Rollinsville
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Taxman card allows you to collect one ruble per worker card in the aristocrat phase. We had been doing just that, paying one ruble per card; however, we are now wondering if the trade card upgrades, that is the carpenter workshop, gold smelter, weaving mill, fur shop, and wharf are "workers". The upgrade seems to make them locations for workers, rather than workers. Are the rest of you scoring these as workers for the Taxman? Just wondering.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Kwan
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Question about Taxman Card
Colorado_Jeff (#44305),

Yes. There is inherently a worker working in the location.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel de la Casa
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alan Kwan (#44326),

We DO count the green upgrades as workers. For us, it's clear that goldsmith, "whatever" theater, carpenter, and taxman (I have the German edition, so I don't know the English names) refer to "cards of the *** color" so that upgrade cards are counted for the purpose of all of them. Is it not said in the rules? I'd swear it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Binning
United States
Rollinsville
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aristarco (#44388),

"Is it not said in the rules? I'd swear it is."

I don't have the rules in front of me, but I believe they state that you're paid "one ruble for every worker." We have been playing that every green card is paid on, but someone pointed out that the upgrades are trade cards, not workers, and that's what caused us to question it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Its 1 per green card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hyunil Jung
United Kingdom
adsfasdf
asdf
flag msg tools
Alexfrog wrote:
Its 1 per green card.

What is your definition of green card?
1) 31 green-back cards only
2) 31 green-back cards and 10 Craftmen of 30 multicolor-back Exchange cards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
workers and worker upgrades.

everything with a green front.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Byrd
United States
Mt Prospect
Illinois
flag msg tools
Colorado_Jeff wrote:
aristarco (#44388),

"Is it not said in the rules? I'd swear it is."

I don't have the rules in front of me, but I believe they state that you're paid "one ruble for every worker." We have been playing that every green card is paid on, but someone pointed out that the upgrades are trade cards, not workers, and that's what caused us to question it.

Jeff Binning

What the rules say:

"The stack of trading cards has 10 Workers, 10 Buildings, and 10 Aristocrats. To distinguish them they have all three colors on their backs and the color of one of the three groups on the front. The front side makes it clear which group the card belongs to."

b.b

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Robben
United States
Spring Hill
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alexfrog (#45077),

That just seems toooo powerful!
Am I the only one who thinks that this card belongs with the Mistress in the "potentially broken" pile?!
The 1 per green-front card gives the player anywhere from a few extra rubles to something like 15 extra rubles, per turn! That is just way more than any of the other special upgrades!
The -1 cost cards will never add up to that total in a game, and the other +1 per color type uprgrades cannot compare because you rarely have as many aristocrats out as "workers"
I don't think I like the Taxman very much...angry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Kalidor (#56675),

It is only that powerful in a two player game. With more players you don't get enough green cards for it to be a problem.

And even in a two player game you are paying a lot of money for a card that returns well only late in the game when money is not worth as much. It's not a bad card, but it is not the gamewinner I originally thought it was.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deleted User
msg tools
badge
Hi Justin;

I agree with Dave. The Tax guy isn't that powerful in 3P and 4P games since players can't generally get a lot of workers. Another reason it's not too powerful is timing - you get the cash in the aristocrat phase, and can't use the money to purchase buildings until the next phase, a delay of one turn as against getting the money in the worker phase. Finally, he costs 17 plus a one-aristocrat sacrifice, which is fairly expensive.

In 2P the Tax guy can be strong, but there's so much cash in 2P anyway that it's not gamebreaking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.