Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Date: July 8th, 2004

Game: Café International – Card Game

Players: Ali, Haleh, Sylvain and Valdir (myself)

Next in line was Café International – Card Game. I taught the game to Haleh, Sylvain and Ali. I started the explanation just handling them a bunch of the cards and I told them to look at the cards because they are sooo funny.

This time we didn’t have any funny comments about gays and lesbians when I explained the "balancing" rules for the tables (no two men nor two women alone at a table), this crowd was more serious...

I told them that we would play a few rounds with the cards open on the table, so that I could teach them some strategy and give tips on how to play the cards. We ended up playing the whole game with the cards open. With three newbies and only me as the expert, this wasn’t too much of a problem.

The game went quite well, I made a few mistakes with the marbles that identify the players in the score track (I use a Carcassonne score track and glass stones to represent the players on it), but the other players were quick to catch it, so no harm was done.

One funny thing is that Sylvain started giving names to the characters. For instance, he called the Russian Lady "Olga" and the Russian man "Boris" or "Igor". So, during the game you could hear phrases like "no, you cannot play your Olga now, there are already two Olgas at the table" or "see, now this Boris gives me six points here" and so on. Very funny.

Haleh didn’t seem to be enjoying the game or she was really tired, she was almost falling asleep in her chair. But even like this she still managed to get an easy win! When she drew the last guest card and we counted the points, she had 88. Even though I was the "expert" I had only managed 81. Ali got 77 and Sylvain was last, with 76.

Even though we were using the six-table variant (two rows of three tables) with the "reservation" rule (duplicate tables go to the bottom of the table deck), this particular session was plagued by players having to go to the draw pile too many times. I told them that this is a bit uncommon but it can happen in this game and they should not give up on this little gem, it is worth playing again and again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.