1 , 2  Next »   | 

Board Game: Gloomhaven
Gloomhaven» Forums » News

Subject: Introducing Gloomhaven 2: 'Frosthaven'!!!! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mad Mullet
msg tools
Microbadge: Level 05 BGG posterMicrobadge: Football playerMicrobadge: Coffee addictMicrobadge: Gloomhaven fanMicrobadge: Gloomhaven fan
From the newsletter:

"Frosthaven is coming!

I know, I know, we just announced Jaws of the Lion, and now there's this, too! So much new Gloomhaven! Or, err, I mean Frosthaven.

While Jaws of the Lion is geared towards bringing in new players to the Gloomhaven world, Frosthaven is my chance to tell another epic story on the scale of the original game, with the same complexity and grandeur. This is Gloomhaven 2.0, with 16 new characters, over 25 new enemies, over 100 new items, somewhere around 100 new scenarios, and so much more.

So why Frosthaven? Well, that is the name of a small outpost far to the north of the capital city of White Oak. There, a group of mercenaries at the end of their rope will help bring back this settlement from the edge of destruction. Not only will they have to deal with the harsh elements, but there are other, far more dangerous threats out in the unforgiving cold as well.

From gallery of Madmullet

There are Algox, the bigger, more yeti-like cousins of the Inox, attacking from the mountains, Lurkers flooding in from the northern sea, and there are even rumors of machines that wander the frozen wastes of their own free will. The party of mercenaries must face all of these perils, and perhaps in doing so, make peace with these new races so they can work together against even more sinister forces.

I could probably rant for a good while about everything that is going to be in this game, but I don't want to throw out any potential spoilers, and also I am going to be doing a lot of ranting already on Saturday at PAX Unplugged. On Saturday at 10am in the Mothman Theatre, I'll be doing a live Q&A with Tom Vasel about all things Frosthaven. I'll answer his questions, and questions from the audience, and it will be a grand old time."

Good news. Should find out more on Saturday!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Level 17 BGG posterMicrobadge: Gaming is in my DNAMicrobadge: Charterstone fanMicrobadge: Endeavor fanMicrobadge: I'm a SeaFall fan!
Re: Introducing 'Frosthaven'!!!!
Madmullet wrote:
From the newsletter:

"Frosthaven is coming!
(…)

Two key bits of information are missing:

1) What is the (estimated) release date?
2) When can I start throwing my money, and where should I aim it?

There's other information I'd *like* to know, but those are the "need to knows".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel King
United States
Franklin
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: I tipped into the Geekgold infinite loopMicrobadge: 1 Player Guild - Together We Game AloneMicrobadge: Mage Knight Board Game fanMicrobadge: Coffee addictMicrobadge: The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game fan
Wow, so much content! I guess I should get around to finishing the first game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Pak
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Microbadge: ChristianMicrobadge: Clash of Cultures: Civilizations fanMicrobadge: The Dice Tower fanMicrobadge: Cello playerMicrobadge: I backed Gloomhaven on Kickstarter
Is today Christmas???
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolau Tudela
Portugal
Porto
Porto
flag msg tools
Microbadge: I backed Gloomhaven on KickstarterMicrobadge: The Banner Saga fan - BellowerMicrobadge: Cooperative Games fanMicrobadge: Level 03 BGG posterMicrobadge: Copper Board Game Collector
Will it be a standalone or an expansion? (e.g.: Does it need content from Gloomhaven?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Tardiff
Canada
flag msg tools
Icewind Dale?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ashley L.
msg tools
Hope ... may not be warranted at this point.
Microbadge: Defeats Children Without MercyMicrobadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level V - My God! It's Full of Stars!Microbadge: Return to Dark TowerMicrobadge: Razor Sharp - BGG Women's Forum participantMicrobadge: Atheist
But... but... I was still bursting with excitement about Isaac's involvement with Return to the Dark Tower. I'm going to actually explode now! This thread needs a health warning! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Microbadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Aeon's End fanMicrobadge: Gloomhaven fanMicrobadge: Twilight Imperium (third edition) fan
Becq wrote:
Madmullet wrote:
From the newsletter:

"Frosthaven is coming!
(…)

Two key bits of information are missing:

1) What is the (estimated) release date?
2) When can I start throwing my money, and where should I aim it?

There's other information I'd *like* to know, but those are the "need to knows".
Isaac's twitter has a picture from PAX with a giant sign that includes March 2020 Kickstarter.
https://twitter.com/Cephalofair/status/1202294392792461314?s...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Livingston

Los Angeles
California
msg tools
Microbadge: Mage Knight Board Game fanMicrobadge: Arkham Horror fanMicrobadge: Chicago Cubs fanMicrobadge: LOST fanMicrobadge: Copper Board Game Collector
Nardran wrote:
Will it be a standalone or an expansion? (e.g.: Does it need content from Gloomhaven?)
Someone on another thread said it was stand-alone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel King
United States
Franklin
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: I tipped into the Geekgold infinite loopMicrobadge: 1 Player Guild - Together We Game AloneMicrobadge: Mage Knight Board Game fanMicrobadge: Coffee addictMicrobadge: The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game fan
Nardran wrote:
I would be shocked if it weren't standalone. They have new characters, scenarios, and enemies, so I'm assuming they wouldn't include all this extra content unless they expected you to be able to play without anything from the past box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre-Marc Duguay
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
In the hope of seeing a world where community and the health of our planet are our top priorities
Microbadge: EnvironmentalistMicrobadge: Gloomhaven fanMicrobadge: Brass fanMicrobadge: Age of Steam fanMicrobadge: Sailing fan
Hypeeed!

We're almost done with the original box and expansion. We'll be getting Jaws of the Lion and now this 100% sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mad Mullet
msg tools
Microbadge: Level 05 BGG posterMicrobadge: Football playerMicrobadge: Coffee addictMicrobadge: Gloomhaven fanMicrobadge: Gloomhaven fan
Nardran wrote:
Original plan was for it to be an expansion. He wasn't planning on duplicating all components and, consequently, wanted to distribute it in a rather smaller box.

I haven't heard anything since to indicate that this plan has changed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
Microbadge: Colt Express fan - CheyenneMicrobadge: Pathfinder Adventure Card Game - AmiriMicrobadge: Order of the Stick fanMicrobadge: The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl Fan - To her, life is a great big acorn!Microbadge: Fables fan
Don't know if this is wishful thinking, but it would be nice if you could get an upgrade pack to use if you also have Gloomhaven, so you didn't have duplicate parts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
Microbadge: The sun doesn't want you to publish Katalyka, because it wants to be almost exactly LIKE Katalyka, but it keep it all a secret.Microbadge: HeroQuest 25th fanMicrobadge: Overturn: Rising Sands fanMicrobadge: Eternal War of the Candy Realms!Microbadge: Unbroken fan
nerman8r wrote:
Don't know if this is wishful thinking, but it would be nice if you could get an upgrade pack to use if you also have Gloomhaven, so you didn't have duplicate parts.
The amount of duplicate parts seems limited. We can expect, like, all the cards to be different. New characters, including their sheets, cards, tokens, and minis. New monsters, including sheets and cards. I'd bet all-new map tiles.

So it's pretty much just things like... the element board, the double-handful of small tokens like damage and coins.

The "upgrade pack" would be like 90% of the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
Microbadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: TetonCon AttendeeMicrobadge: I love ArizonaMicrobadge: ChemistMicrobadge: Gloomhaven fan
Wow, now I really wish I had planned on doing PAX Unplugged this year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Haramis

Rochester
New York
msg tools
Microbadge: Copper Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: Gloomhaven fanMicrobadge: Level 01 BGG poster
I wonder what the level of cross compatibility will be with Gloomhaven as far as characters and enemies and such.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walter McCormick
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game fan - R2 AstromechMicrobadge: Legend of the Five Rings LCGMicrobadge: Spirit Island Fan - FearMicrobadge: Gloomhaven fanMicrobadge: Eldritch Horror fan
wrote:
So it's pretty much just things like... the element board, the double-handful of small tokens like damage and coins.
Honestly I want more of the redundant stuff, more damage tokens and a few more of some status tokens not bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Haramis

Rochester
New York
msg tools
Microbadge: Copper Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: Gloomhaven fanMicrobadge: Level 01 BGG poster
SkywalterDBZ wrote:
wrote:
Honestly I want more of the redundant stuff, more damage tokens and a few more of some status tokens not bad.
Yes, when you play the game 200+ times like I have this stuff starts to wear down!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Level 17 BGG posterMicrobadge: Gaming is in my DNAMicrobadge: Charterstone fanMicrobadge: Endeavor fanMicrobadge: I'm a SeaFall fan!
wkufan89 wrote:
Nardran wrote:
I would be shocked if it weren't standalone. They have new characters, scenarios, and enemies, so I'm assuming they wouldn't include all this extra content unless they expected you to be able to play without anything from the past box.
sharamis87 wrote:
I wonder what the level of cross compatibility will be with Gloomhaven as far as characters and enemies and such.
My recollection is that the new game was going to be a standalone game -- playable on its own -- but compatible with the original (but perhaps not with the Jaws of the Lion (?) version).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
Microbadge: Colt Express fan - CheyenneMicrobadge: Pathfinder Adventure Card Game - AmiriMicrobadge: Order of the Stick fanMicrobadge: The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl Fan - To her, life is a great big acorn!Microbadge: Fables fan
I assume he knows there something in DOTA called "Frosthaven"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
Microbadge: The sun doesn't want you to publish Katalyka, because it wants to be almost exactly LIKE Katalyka, but it keep it all a secret.Microbadge: HeroQuest 25th fanMicrobadge: Overturn: Rising Sands fanMicrobadge: Eternal War of the Candy Realms!Microbadge: Unbroken fan
nerman8r wrote:
I assume he doesn't mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
Microbadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: TetonCon AttendeeMicrobadge: I love ArizonaMicrobadge: ChemistMicrobadge: Gloomhaven fan
tumorous wrote:
nerman8r wrote:
Sure, but how does Valve feel about it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: Terra Mystica fanMicrobadge: Risk Legacy fanMicrobadge: Empyreal: Spells & Steam fanMicrobadge: Yomi fanMicrobadge: Christian and LGBTQ or ally
tumorous wrote:
nerman8r wrote:
The amount of duplicate parts seems limited. We can expect, like, all the cards to be different. New characters, including their sheets, cards, tokens, and minis. New monsters, including sheets and cards. I'd bet all-new map tiles.

The "upgrade pack" would be like 90% of the box.
Going to have to disagree. We could easily re-use:

-ALL of the tokens, of which there are many (only minus any new status effects)

-The HP/XP dials.

-The ice-themed map boards.

-The plastic standees.

-Element board.

-Terrain tiles.

-Monster card sleeves.

-Blessings and curses.

Things we could PROBABLY re-use:

-Combat decks for both players and monsters (unless these are somehow being rebalanced)

-Common items (health, stamina, mana potions...etc).

-Any monster types that are also in this game (there might not be any crossover, though, guess we'll see)

That's definitely not 10% of the stuff in the box. More like 30 or even 40%.

We'll just need new:

-World Map

-Character boxes and figures

-New Monsters

-Items

-Events

-New rules (if there are updates)

-Stickers

-Map tiles

I've played my copy well over a hundred times, and all of the stuff assumed to be cross-compatible is still in amazing condition. Hats off to the publisher for the quality there.

It just seems wasteful to have two sets of the stuff we already have. Both money-wise and environmentally friendly-wise. Again, with the big stipulation that the basic mechanics aren't changing. Obviously if there are tweaks, we'll need it all again. Otherwise I'd happily save a few bucks buying a slightly cheaper upgrade pack and saving some trees in the process, if possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Martell
New Zealand
Lower Hutt
flag msg tools
Microbadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: I was here for BGG's Tenth Anniversary!Microbadge: Gloomhaven fan
Dexter345 wrote:
tumorous wrote:
nerman8r wrote:
I'd guess Valve's opinion is irrelevant, unless they expressly trademarked Frosthaven for board gaming purposes. A quick search of the US Trademark register finds no reference to Frosthaven as a trademark.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
benmartell wrote:
Dexter345 wrote:
tumorous wrote:
nerman8r wrote:
I'd guess Valve's opinion is irrelevant, unless they expressly trademarked Frosthaven for board gaming purposes. A quick search of the US Trademark register finds no reference to Frosthaven as a trademark.
It doesn't even seem to be a product, just a name for an update? And one which is less than a year old. I don't see any reason to wring any hands.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |