Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Blue Peg, Pink Peg» Forums » General

Subject: Episode 160: A War of Whispers rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christina Rouse
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Good Morning Pegheads. Episode 160 is here and with it we have a review of A War of Whispers and a reroll of Porta Nigra! We also discuss Terra Mystica: Merchants of the Seas, Clank! Legacy, Awkward Guest, and so much more. We are also bringing back our Thanks for Meme-ories Contest for a $200 CoolStuff (or the like) gift card for the holidays! Good luck!
http://bluepegpinkpeg.com/2019/12/09/episode-160-a-war-of-wh...
7 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Stoltzfus
United States
Lancaster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for taking the time to review War of Whispers
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evgueni K
Canada
flag msg tools
Avatar
I've come to the conclusion that the only reason Christina hates time travel and wizards is because she is secretly a time travelling wizard stuck in the present and trying to keep it hidden until she can find her way back, or else the Guild of Time Travelling Wizards will strip her of her Time Travelling Wizard powers.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Habel
United States
Butler
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hey, Lovecraft did have a cat. And the name of the cat - the typing of which would rightfully get me banned - is exhibit #1 in showing how much of a racist piece of garbage Lovecraft is.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Rouse

Virginia
msg tools
badge
Blue Peg, Pink Peg Gaming Podcast
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
YamiNoSenshi wrote:
Hey, Lovecraft did have a cat. And the name of the cat - the typing of which would rightfully get me banned - is exhibit #1 in showing how much of a racist piece of garbage Lovecraft is.
what?! really? I didnt know that....ugh.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
La Grange
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
rookenoble wrote:
YamiNoSenshi wrote:
Hey, Lovecraft did have a cat. And the name of the cat - the typing of which would rightfully get me banned - is exhibit #1 in showing how much of a racist piece of garbage Lovecraft is.
what?! really? I didnt know that....ugh.
He is a complicated writer to like because of that. And once you know it, some of his stories stand out as particularly racist and xenophobic, even controlling for the overwhelming racist time he lived in.

That said, many of the themes in his stories focus on other parts of the human experience, and still speak to us in his poetry and imagination.

I've wrestled with myself about why I'm still able to read and enjoy his work in ways I can't with other authors (such as Orson Scott Card), and it comes down to the era. Even though Lovecraft seems to have been more racist than even the average xenophobic racist white American of his day, his views and writing are over and done with, and I can thus explore his work in the context of his life, and do so without supporting him directly nor helping him harm others.

By contrast, modern artists who express views I find objectionable (and worse, put their money toward promoting those views) are much harder for me to enjoy because doing so means supporting them in their actions.

Just one person's thoughts about this complex issue.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Holmes
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
wombat929 wrote:
rookenoble wrote:
YamiNoSenshi wrote:
Hey, Lovecraft did have a cat. And the name of the cat - the typing of which would rightfully get me banned - is exhibit #1 in showing how much of a racist piece of garbage Lovecraft is.
what?! really? I didnt know that....ugh.
He is a complicated writer to like because of that. And once you know it, some of his stories stand out as particularly racist and xenophobic, even controlling for the overwhelming racist time he lived in.

That said, many of the themes in his stories focus on other parts of the human experience, and still speak to us in his poetry and imagination.

I've wrestled with myself about why I'm still able to read and enjoy his work in ways I can't with other authors (such as Orson Scott Card), and it comes down to the era. Even though Lovecraft seems to have been more racist than even the average xenophobic racist white American of his day, his views and writing are over and done with, and I can thus explore his work in the context of his life, and do so without supporting him directly nor helping him harm others.

By contrast, modern artists who express views I find objectionable (and worse, put their money toward promoting those views) are much harder for me to enjoy because doing so means supporting them in their actions.

Just one person's thoughts about this complex issue.
This is largely where I stand. I also think Lovecraft created a universe that is larger than just his imagination - so many other authors have played in the sandbox he created, and built their own castles to explore, that the concept of cosmic horror and the mythology surrounding it is not just his.

At the same time - I think it was appropriate when the World Fantasy Awards dropped Lovecraft as the likeness of their award trophy, because that really was celebrating/recognizing the man rather than the work.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hampus Ram
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It did download and play correctly for me this time

I really do like when you review a game that isn't the big hotness (even though you can't skip those either). Also kind of like when you give it a not so stellar rating so I don't have to get it...

By the way, Awkward Guests is great! Yes, you can screw up, but just don't do that I think it needs to be said that the box have a really good insert where the cards are separated in smaller sets of numbers so you don't have a huge deck you need to go through, but a bunch of smaller ones. It is a bit tough to set up and put away, but not much more than say Caverna or basically any Arkham game... Also two other things: The player sceens are also made for whiteboard pens so you don't have to laminate anything and you can play without the app (but then you have player elimination).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls