Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Levin
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have read a number of the posts here and I can't seen to find an image or a listing that clarifies what separates the zones on the map. I want to play this game, but I cant seem to get a handle on what divides the zones and which ones are connected and which one are not.

The river zones and the crossing of the river is clear, which zones are on each side of the river, but all of the zones north of the river have me somewhat confused.

Any help would be appreciated.

In fact, is there a simple chart or image that details which zones are connected to which zones? The obvious answer would be the game map, but that image seems to be giving me more trouble than it should.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Romaniecki
United States
Attleboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is better to think in terms of points or locations. Points/Locations are connected by roads. Without a road connection you cannot move from one to the other.

e.g. Cap Rogue is connected by separate roads to Ste Foy and Sillery. Sillery and Ste Foy are not connected.

Blocks at a Point/Location are kept on or near it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Pressler
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
OMG! Overtext! How long have I been sleeping?! OVERTEXT! Also, I'm a DESIGNER now?! Sweet! OVERTEXXXXXXT!
badge
HO HO HO! Give me some money!
mbmbmbmbmb
Bill covered it rather well, so this is mostly reiteration. Just picture a town located at the spot of each red name. The black lines are the roads in between. (As opposed to the somewhat thinner black lines that are borders, etc. The map is certainly not a masterpiece of visual clarity.) All movement is from town to town. Except for Ste. Foy, all towns touch exactly one river zone.

Be sure to keep units in the town of St. Charles fully east of the St. Charles River, so that you'll remember the special movement rule moving between there and Abraham. Also, note that there is no road directly between St. Charles and Ste. Foy. Units must move through Abraham first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Owen
United States
Norwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

There are only 10 possible locations for troop blocks (and two for the ships) so the number of possibilities are quite limited.
Just to be explicit, here are the connections:
Ile d'Orleans is not connected by land to anyplace. By boat you can cross to Levis, St. Charles, Beauporet and/or Montmorency only. (Note that Quebec City itself is NOT a playable location.) So there are a total of FIVE locations that can be reached by boats crossing the Bason: St. Charles, Levis, Ile d'Orleans, Beauport and Montmorency. Each can be reached by any of the others BY BOAT.
Levis connects by road to Etchemin only, and vice versa.
From Etchemin one can also cross via the St. Laurent using boats over to Cap Rouge, Sillery or Abraham. So there are FOUR mutually accessible locations across the St. Laurent. Note that St. Francois is NOT a location.
On the North side of the river Montmorency is connected by Road Only to Beauport.
Beauport is connected to Montmorency and St. Charles.
St. Charles is conencted to Beauport and Abraham (although crossing to Abraham means moving over a stream and is considered an amphibiou assault for combat purposes if the enemy is in Abraham.
Abraham is connected to THREE locations by road (the most of any land space) to St. Charles, Sillery and Ste. Foy. A move to St. Charles crosses the river and would be treated as an amphibious assult if St. Charles is enemy occupied.
St. Foy is connected by road to Abraham and Cap Rouge (And NOT to Sillery)
Sillery is connected by road to Cap Rouge and Abraham.
Cap Rouge is connected by road to Ste. Foy and Sillery. Despite the depiction of a stream on the map, movement to and from Cap Rouge is NOT considered to be crossing any kind of water obstacle.
I think this covers all the possibilities.
Although Quebec 1759 has one of the smallest boards of any game I am aware of (in terms of total locations, there are just 12!), there are a considerable number of different strategies available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Levin
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks so much for the replies. I can finally play this game! I hear it's a good introduction to block games, and that is what it will be for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(\____/)
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
These same questions also came up on another topic. Even though the initiator of this particular thread seems to have gotten the answers he was looking for, I thought I'd add my comment here, as it might be of help to others.

The thing is, the older versions of Quebec 1759 rulebook had a picture in them which clarified the possible movements between zones. For some strange reason, the picture has been removed from the later versions of the rulebook! At least it is not present in V1.2 rules which are available for download from Columbia Games' website.

I took a quick scan of the older rulebook, and here is the picture that explains what movement is allowed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Owen
United States
Norwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had rgotten about that illustration. It does make it clear. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Sohn
United States
culver city
CA
flag msg tools
Check out my class: https://www.canvas.net/courses/game-design-concepts
badge
How are you today?
mbmbmbmbmb
tommih wrote:
These same questions also came up on another topic. Even though the initiator of this particular thread seems to have gotten the answers he was looking for, I thought I'd add my comment here, as it might be of help to others.

The thing is, the older versions of Quebec 1759 rulebook had a picture in them which clarified the possible movements between zones. For some strange reason, the picture has been removed from the later versions of the rulebook! At least it is not present in V1.2 rules which are available for download from Columbia Games' website.

I took a quick scan of the older rulebook, and here is the picture that explains what movement is allowed.

I made a order sheet with a map based on this because I had the same questions:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/244589

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Levin
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is outstanding! Thanks so much. It will help greatly. I am finally going to get this to the table this Sunday.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.