Subject: Move-Fire-Move, one more time rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
tim ellis
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
I know there have been numerous postings on this rule and an entry in the FAQ, but there are still questions that I don't see answered. The following quote is from the FAQ:

Quote:
When a light unit moves in the first part, it only will roll 1 combat die. An auxilia unit, if it moves 2 in the first part, may not do range combat. Because the first move is optional, if a unit does not move in the first part, it may roll 2 range combat dice.

It's the last sentence that raises fresh questions for me, which I will give examples for. (a) Does that mean that an auxilia unit that does not move in the first part can fire at the hold rate, using two dice, then move in the second part? (b)If so does that mean the auxilia unit could fire using two dice then move two hexes in the second half?

(I assume that a unit only has its normal movement rate to divide up between the two parts; meaning a light unit can't move two, fire, then move two. Not sure if I have seen even this definitively addressed.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim ellis
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Still not clear. With reference to my example: Does that mean that the auxilia unit can fire at full strength in the first part and then move a full two hexes after? that sounds like it's the case, but it contradicts the normal condition whereby an aux cannot fire if it moves two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Takacs
Italy
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The difference is that you are moving after you fire.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Donnelly
Canada
Comox Valley
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Think of it this way: all lights, up to your command limit, are ordered. All may move as usual. Then all may fire, using the usual rules. Then all may move again, using the usual movement rules.

Thus an auxilia could:

1. Hold, fire 2d, then move 0-2 hexes.
2. Move 1 hex, fire 1d, then move 0-2 hexes.
4. Move 0-2 hexes, not fire, then move 0-2 hexes.

So an aux can move up to 4 hexes, which is an important aspect of that card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim ellis
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Thanks. The part I wasn't getting is that you get two full moves.
This is an extremely powerful card, particularly for light cavalry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Watkins
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably more useful for lighter infantry and auxillia than light cavalry as light cavalry can move 4 hexes anyway so are very mobile already

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim ellis
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools

Quote:
Probably more useful for lighter infantry and auxillia than light cavalry as light cavalry can move 4 hexes anyway so are very mobile already

That's true, but the ability to fire at full strength then move the four really lets you take advantage of that LC mobility.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.