Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: TACTICS II Solitary Play rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: solitaire [+] wargames [+] [View All]
Dan Buche
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
After nearly thirty yearts, I am revisiting Tactics II, my first love in war games. All my old playing partners have gone their seperate ways and I have a lot of time on my hands, so I'm determined to play alone. Has anyone else experimented with solitary play for this great old game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Brown
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
But don't be fooled by the radio, the TV, or the magazines. They'll show you photographs of how your life should be but they're just someone else's fantasies.
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool, that was my very first game 30 years ago also. I keep being tempted to purchase the game again. I can remember only playing one time with a human opponent. Other than that I played it solo.

If you have the time, play both sides but wait a while between each time you play a side. This help a little to forget your plans and let you take a fresh look from the other side.

I wonder if this game is on Vassel (Online game play) if it is maybe we can play a game sometime.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Buche
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
Thanks for the reply Daniel. I am unfamiliar with online play, but would gladly do so if Tactics is available. Your "waiting" suggestion is a good one and if I manage to find a spot to leave the game undisturbed for any length of time I may use it. But, I think it will be an interesting exercise to develop other ways of playing alone. It seems to me that I saw solitary rules for 3rd Reich somewhere, perhaps as an article in The General. I am considering a dice roll to choose one of several tactics fo reach turn, or a "fog of war" mechanism that would invert some pieces making them invisible, and therefore their identity more easily forgotten when I switch sides.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Di Ponio
United States
Lake Orion
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah...the game that introduced me to hex/counter gaming!!! I still have my copy in my collection after 30+ years.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Williams
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bought mine in '61 with AH's Gettysburg. Still have them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.K. Bentley
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've still got my copy too. Never played it because I could never find anyone to play it with. Even my older brother refused to play it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Conroy
United States
Winchester
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nvrbttr wrote:
a "fog of war" mechanism that would invert some pieces making them invisible, and therefore their identity more easily forgotten when I switch sides.

This is an excellent idea. I would suggest assigning a spotting range to the units (varied or set, whatever your pereference), the double blind effect would work well I think. Man I should try this with my copy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.