Popular Tags: [View All]
Carol Carpenter
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a thought - I don't know how to moderate, but perhaps someone else can...
A math trade for holiday gift-giving.
1. All items must be new in shrink wrap (exceptions for those few games like Hive and Loco that come new without shrink).
2. Participants must commit to extra careful packaging to ensure game stays in gift-condition (ie double-boxing or at least 2 inches packaging around game).
3. Participants may be asked to ship game directly to gift recipient (who may be a Secret Santa recipient or not).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack K
United States
Shorewood
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I'm currently co-moderating a local MT, and taking part in both that and the "Thanksgiving" MT that RoamDog is running, but if I have anything left over from those that's shrink wrapped, I would certainly participate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I was contemplating a math trade, but I'm not sure I'm going to have the time for it. The centerpiece would be a 3-5 item cap PER PERSON. That limit would force some people to be very selective with their submissions, and should raise the percentage of quality items.

It should also increase the number of participants to actually be a part of the results.

As an appeal to first time/part time/small time math traders, this would prevent a small number of participants to dominate the trade results. As such, the best holiday tie-in for such a math trade would probably be Festivus: the Math Trade for the Rest of Us. laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diane Close
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
starspangledgirl wrote:
Just a thought - ...snip...
A math trade for holiday gift-giving. ...snip...

I fail to see the difference between this and the existing Secret Santa program.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Sandall
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We should do it after Christmas and call it the re-gifting math trade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Perry
United States
Spring Hill
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Ex-Term-In-Ate
mbmbmbmbmb
pdclose wrote:
starspangledgirl wrote:
Just a thought - ...snip...
A math trade for holiday gift-giving. ...snip...

I fail to see the difference between this and the existing Secret Santa program.

Well, for one it won't be "random" what you would get. Second, you have a hand in choosing who sends to you.

It is a different, yet similar, event. And one that, IMHO, sounds pretty interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diane Close
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Regai wrote:
Well, for one it won't be "random" what you would get. Second, you have a hand in choosing who sends to you.

First, you'd wouldn't be choosing who sends to you, but merely limiting it (and hoping that you'd match with one of them). So compared to Secret Santa, this way you have a say in who potentially sends to you and vice versa.

Second, this isn't any less random than the Secret Santa matching as Secret Santas are choosing from a list that YOU MADE, which is the same as a math trade. The only difference is the distribution of game choices. Secret Santa list choices are limited only by your imagination, whereas math trade list choices are limited by math trade offerings.

I agree with Nate that this would be a nicer math trade done after Christmas. Personally, if I have a shrink-wrapped game lying around before Christmas, it's gonna be for ME! After Christmas this would be a great way to get rid of those "extras".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carol Carpenter
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I was thinking it would be for those of you who want to give a game to a friend who lives near you, or who is far away but is not a BGG user. (I know, I know, a game player not on BGG??!!)

But anyway, the Regifting idea after the holidays sounds good too. Although why would it need to be in shrinkwrap at that point? There's no reason to limit it to that in January.

All of this is just suggestion, by the way -- I have no intention of running a math trade! I like to keep the little that's left of my sanity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack K
United States
Shorewood
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
starspangledgirl wrote:
All of this is just suggestion, by the way -- I have no intention of running a math trade! I like to keep the little that's left of my sanity.

I'm currently running a local no-ship one, and we closed this morning with 95 entries. It's a fair bit of work for no reward beyond the pleasure of facilitating the enjoyment of those taking part. Fortunately there are just a small number of participants and everyone seems pretty nice about everything, so it's been a good experience. But it's just 95 entries. Imagine how much harder it would be dealing with 800 or even 1600 entries from a much larger number of people? I shudder to think about the amount of work that must go into running a much larger effort such as the Oktoberfest one, or even RoamDog's Thanksgiving one (and trying to keep everyone happy), even with help. Those fellows deserve all the GG tips they get!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.