Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Court
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Having played the games oodles since its release - with a various number and variety of players - it seems to me that the adventures don't add much to the game.

I ma referring to those specific "encounter" cards that take multiple rounds to persue and resolve (such as travel to X and do Y. They usually rewards you with money or an item). I really like these because I feel that they add flavor to the game - but with the exception of a couple of times (in a great many offered encounters) most players elect to continue pursuing challenges - getting experience and gold. They are almost forced to b/c they fall behind in challenges for pursuing an encounter all the way across the board that has no exp reward. In short, there is very little incentive to achieve the goals unless they are immediately close and easily done.

What I would like to see are encounters that do offer enough incentive to travel across the map to the swamp of doom, fight the evil hag and return to Talamir with her head kind of thing.

Perhaps in future expansions the encounters can be made tougher... but more worthwhile by offering adequate experience + and an item and/or gold. Such encounters would be marked with a star or some other icon or border. If a player elected to take this higher level encounter they cannot draw further cards (as would be normal under the rules presently). If the player declines... the encounter could be discarded or left in place per an undefeated challenge perhaps.

This is just a rough idea of course, but my group is interested in seeing it through, which means I will eventually draw up some rules and of course, some further cards.

But I wanted to know what all the other runebound players from BGG think... do your heroes pursue the encounters?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Karvonen
Finland
Tampere
Tampere
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Adventures = ~useless
I'd say that in our games, the eagerness of pursuing the adventures largely depends on the adventure. Some of them (like Wanted: An Assassin) present enough challenge to make people want to try it. Others (like Plagues and Pestilence, if I remember the name correctly) are nice, but just walking to a swamp and going back to the right city doesn't quite do the trick. These adventures are pursued, if they happen to be conveniently enroute, but otherwise left alone.

I agree with you, more complex and varied encounter-adventures would benefit the game greatly and they are definetely one of the things I'd love to see in the expansions. More flavor, more things to do, more ways to develop your character... it's gotta do the game some good.

I don't think the reason for not doing the encounter-adventures is necessarily falling behind in experience tho'. At least, not in our group. A good item/gold-reward does cover the effort quite nicely, even though you might miss a few encounters. Of course, experience points would make the encounter-adventures even more interesting, but I think that the most important factor is the challenge. If you don't have to do anything but to go to some place, it's really not that interesting. Actually doing something there is much more rewarding. That's why people seem always eager to try to be an assassin, even though it's rather difficult to succeed for most characters. It feels exciting and adds a good flavor to the game.

But all the more reason for FFG to enrich these encounter-adventures. Hopefully they will. I think they will. After all, this is only the basic set, and I am quite willing to bet that they have quite a few new tricks up their sleeve for the expansions. They need something to make them unique, after all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Jensen
United States
Belgrade
Montana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
deadeyedick (#44739),

Good post. My group is very similar to yours in the fact that the encounters are only persued when you draw them in the right place at the right time. On a few occasions these have helped players out, but mostly they are ignored as the "get X and go Y" variety just take too much time.

That said, I think the idea could be improved upon greatly and I look forward to seeing what you come up with. If I think of a clever idea I'll be sure to post it as well.

Judd

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick McIntyre
Canada
Unspecified
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Skipping the odd adventure doesn't sound that different from what you do in a computer role-playing game. Sometimes you have better things to do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Duval
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
PatMan13b (#44973),
I think the adventures were put there to add story...which is stating the obvious but i believe they have another purpose, they slow the game down. If you have a player whos running from one adventure to another just grabbing up stuff (particularly all the green encounters) an occasional card that gives you nothing or coaxes you to do something else slows their progress.

I was in a game where there was a player who was doing just that he was way ahead of everyone and the rest of us felt we didn't even have time to visit the cities for fear he would eat up all the encounters. After 4 rounds of this he began to draw adventure cards...seemed like thats all he could draw but it slowed him down enough for several other players to catch up to him. He actually chose to pursue one of the adventures and ultimately he didn't win the game, but it wasn't because he went on the adventure.

I believe if you remove the adventure cards an agressive player could sweep the board and start fighting red encounters before most players start on blue ones. The adventure cards slow them down by giving them nothing in an encounter or giving them something else to do then run from encounter to encounter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Fitch
United States
Garner
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Xasher wrote:

I believe if you remove the adventure cards an agressive player could sweep the board and start fighting red encounters before most players start on blue ones. The adventure cards slow them down by giving them nothing in an encounter or giving them something else to do then run from encounter to encounter.

I don't see how the encounter cards slow an aggressive player down unless they want to be slowed down since the player must draw another adventure card after the encounter card (or event card) is drawn. So they would get an encounter card AND a challenge card. I think they are primarily in the game for flava, and I don't think it is a bad thing that some of the encounter cards are ignored...in some games its just not worth it, but in others it is. Gives the player another choice to make. And it doesn't hurt the player that draws the encounter card because the will get to draw until they get a challege card so they can keep up in the race for experience points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Duval
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Dinky_Gnatbane (#45023),
See I think we've been playing it wrong.

How my group plays it is if you pick up an adventure card you can do one of two things.

First you can take the adventure card and the experience marker. You put the marker on top of the card in front of the player....when the player completes the adventure he gets the experience and whatever award the adventure offers. If the adventure is never completed the experience is lost.

or:

He could choose not to take the adventure. The card is placed on the track and a marker is placed on the location where the adventure was found...then the player can take another card which if its an encounter he then fights the monster...if he wins he only gets the award the monster gives not the experience.

The only way to get the experience is to beat the adventure.

Subsequent heroes can land on the space and either take the adventure or draw another encounter.

If multiple adventures or an encounter that was lost, are placed on the track then the first adventurer to finish one of the adventures gets the experience. If they choose to fight the monster they only get the award the monster gives not the experience.

I guess the way we've played it is wrong but it was alot of fun that way, and it did promote adventuring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Court
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Xasher (#45059),

Your way does improve the chances of taking and finishing encounters... but it is wrong as far as the rules go.

It's also definitely a bummer for the person electing to fight the monster (no experience?? - that seems harsh).

But if your group likes it - by all means! That's one great feature of this game! (Though you might want to try it following the rules once or twice just for comparison).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Fitch
United States
Garner
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Xasher (#45059),
DeadEyeDick is right. If your group enjoys playing the game with the rules you are playing with then that's great. He's also right about trying it a time or two with the rules as written to see if you like them. This will also help if you ever play the game with a different group of people who do use the written rules. This is definitely a fun game, but I'm not ready to get rid of my Talisman set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Duval
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Dinky_Gnatbane (#45386),
There is a big following for Talisman, but the other day i brought both Talisman and Runebound into my gaming group and they chose Runebound. The main reason was we didnt have 8-10 hours to commit to a game, and Runebound has enough in common with Talisman that my gaming group enjoys it just as much without having to spend many hours playing it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lee perry
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I misread the rules and we played our very first game this way, and we were all crazy confused about what to do with the experience markers. I think it broke the game for us... mainly, you run around picking up minor adventure cards, but you're depleting the board of possible encounters as you grab up markers for adventure.

And that's a huge deal, depleting the board of possible encounters. I won't even play a 5 player game anymore, there's simply not enough adventures on the board. Someone inevitably gets beat down and finds out their whole half of the board is devoid of all encounters except blue or red, and they start the long trek off to find some chickens to stab.

4 players is perfect IMO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.