Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Court
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Admittedly, I have played the game a bunch... but my movement dice are dying.

The icons are being rubbed off with each play. 1 die is so bad that within a couple more plays, two sides will be virtually white. I am going to need some new ones very soon... and they don't appear to be for sale via FFG's website (yet).

Anyone else running into this problem?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Karvonen
Finland
Tampere
Tampere
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:My Movement Dice are Disappearing!
deadeyedick wrote:
Admittedly, I have played the game a bunch... but my movement dice are dying.

The icons are being rubbed off with each play. 1 die is so bad that within a couple more plays, two sides will be virtually white. I am going to need some new ones very soon... and they don't appear to be for sale via FFG's website (yet).

Anyone else running into this problem?

I was actually planning to write a similar article today as I noticed the same thing yesterday when we played couple games of Runebound. The symbols are slowly rubbing off. My problem is not that serious (yet), but it's there.

Maybe you should get people to dry their hands properly before rolling or something? I think it may be sweat that's making the symbols disappear.

I was actually afraid of something like this when I saw the dice. The symbols are merely inked on the surface of the dice, rather than etched into them. Runebound would not be the first game to have such problems because of this method. Probably a cheaper way to make dice, but also somewhat unreliable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Court
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gargoyle (#44776),

I have an email in FFG - hopefully they will get back to me soon.

Last evening while playing I noticed that players tend to roll the dice around in their hands while contemplating moves, and that seems to significantly damage the icons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yeh Fang
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
deadeyedick (#44840),

Yes, it may help to email FFG. Awhile back, when I bought A Game of Thrones from FFG, some of their cards were scuffed. After some correspondence, I was sent through mail (for free!) a complete new deck of cards.

In the meantime, you could perhaps paint your own icons on the dice instead?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Court
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dracil (#44928),

Unfortunately, nothing I use would stay very long, I'm afraid... even a sharpie marker is prone to wear off.

I put in an email a couple of days ago... no word yet, but I know they are exceedingly busy these weeks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Use a cup to shuffle the dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Duval
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
GeoMan (#45038),
You could always make the cardboard ones available in pdf format at the top of the page.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Court
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GeoMan (#45038),

That's not a bad idea...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Kittock
United States
Menlo Park
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Although the movement dice are neato, you could just use normal d6 as substitutes. Pick a face on the movement die to correspond to "1", pick another face to be "2", etc., and give each player a little chart that says something like

1 = RHW (road, hill, or water)

and so forth.

Sure, it takes a little bit of the fun out of the game, but it's a pretty easy workaround for fading dice!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Court
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spark (#45136),

Yeah, we had thought of that... but it seems so... sad.

And it seems to take a lot longer to when comparing dice to what you can do on the board.

My dice will hang on for a few more games... but I am clearly going to need to get more...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Kittock
United States
Menlo Park
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
deadeyedick (#45208),

Actually, in our four-player game last night, I got impatient with my opponents taking forever to figure out their turns, so I got out 5d6 and drew up a little grid on a piece of paper. The grid had a row for each number on the d6 and a column for each of the seven terrain types. I assigned each side of the terrain die to a number, and then put checkmarks in the appropriate columns in that row. For example, 1 was assigned to "road, plain, hill" (there are actually two such faces!), so in row 1, there was a checkmark in the road, plain, and hill columns.

Using the chart was really easy--I would roll my Nd6, and line them up next to the appropriate number. Then I would slide them over to the column representing the terrain I wanted to use. Worked like a charm! Maybe I will make up a chart and upload it as a PDF file for others to use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Barber
England
Aylesford
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Competition for my cardboard dice I see.angry
Only joking laugh

I originally made the cardboard dice as a sort of joke. But now I find I actually use them so the next player to go can work his move in advance.
It look from this discussion that my cardboard dice will out last the real ones.
I notice people have translated my player mat too, that’s cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Kittock
United States
Menlo Park
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The lacquer thing is not a bad idea; spray matte or gloss varnish might work well, too. Just don't end up sticking your dice to the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Fiend
United States
Avon Lake
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spark (#46297),
I just noticed this phenomenom after my 5th game and will switch to a cup and felt covered rolling area. I placed the die on wax paper and sprayed semi-gloss on them, I'll let you know if this helps (can't hurt). If all fails then I'll use the card system for movement presented at this site.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Court
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jimzik (#46418),

FFG got back to me about a week or so ago. They do sell additional dice for a couple of dollars. I am going to buy two sets - and I will be trying this method (and using a cup as well).

Thanks for all the feedback, commiseration and problem solving. Although there are some really easy answers to it (using the chart methodology is quick, cheap and painless) I really want to keep the dice - so I am hoping this works!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. Copeland
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
deadeyedick (#46500),

The actual cost from FFG is $5 plus $2.50 S&H. Am I alone in thinking that FFG should warranty the dice at least once? ???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. Copeland
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
deadeyedick (#46500),
Have you looked at the article 'terrain sheet and dice mat'?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Imhotep wrote:
deadeyedick (#46500),

The actual cost from FFG is $5 plus $2.50 S&H. Am I alone in thinking that FFG should warranty the dice at least once? ???

FFG now have the dice set at $1 + shipping in their online store, which seems quite reasonable.

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Scr...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.