Memoir '44» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Pegasus Bridge – Private “Troy” v. General Von Dreger rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Australia
Sebastopol (Ballarat)
Victoria
flag msg tools
That's Karl on the left. Eternity on the right.
badge
I love Melissa, but don't tell her. It's a secret if she can find this. Shhhhh....
mbmbmbmbmb
Pegasus Bridge – Private John “Troy” Howard tries to take on General Von Dreger

Introduction:
        My friend, Troy, has been wanting to play Memoir '44 for months. I’ve played over 20 games. So, to teach him we began with scenario one: Pegasus Bridge. Which I believe is an excellent scenario to teach newcomers the basics: Move, Fire, and the Value of Terrain!

Set-up:
Nothing unusual here, just thought I’d include a picture so the reader who hasn’t played this scenario can follow along:

Some landmarks:
The two bridges, left and right, are Pegasus and Orne, respectively.
The middle pond is impassable.

I let Troy have the numerous Brits, while I played the outnumbered, but seasoned Veterans. This scenario is statistically weighted towards the British, so I volunteered to play the underdogs.

The Play:

Troy began with an Air Attack on my units by Pegasus Bridge. I responded by moving my left flank (reader’s right) up to the Orne Bridge and taking the forest to the NW of it.

At Pegasus Bridge, Troy was hesitant to move on to the Wire, and began firing from afar (1 dice attacks) allowing me to return fire with 2 dice from the safety of the sandbags.

At the Orne, Troy moved one squad forward (running), and my fire (double Flag) sent them straight back again!

Troy focuses his attack on Pegasus and kept plinking away. Eventually I destroyed one of his squads, but my sandbagged squad also died. (1-1).

At the Orne, Troy tried to advance again (running 2 hexes). I advanced into close combat range and took out 3 troops and eventually finished them off (2-1).

Back over to Pegasus. Troy finally advanced onto the wire and cleared one hex (to make a break in my defenses). I continued to fire and weakened his unit, which then retreated. Two other squads rushed through the hole. Shortly after a close assault occurred by Troy, but they were Ambushed by the experienced Germans! The end result of this clash was 1 squad each (3-2).

By this time, My squad in Le Port (top NW from the reader’s perspective) advanced onto Pegasus Bridge and were holding it.

Troy had his eastern most squad in the forest just SW of the Orne Bridge. I advanced out of the forest and bridge to take it on. My first squad got shot to bits, but managed to reduce the Brits to a single man. (3-3).

Troy took a last punt at the 3 Germans still holding Pegasus Bridge but was unable to eliminate them. My second squad in the east did a Close Assault on the remaining 1 Brit in the forest and eliminated him.

Victory to Von Dreger 4-3!!!

Troy loved the game and we immediately set up the next scenario, as he was dying to have a tank, a boy did that have a heyday! I also taught Troy a lesson in using terrain and retreating injured squads. Nothing is worse for morale than leaving your men on the line to die!

But that is a report for a different time…

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.