Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

Wiz-War» Forums » General

Subject: New Version rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Humor [+] Pigs_Fly [+] April_Fools [+] Hoax [+] Cruel_Jokes [+] [View All]
Nathan Fireborn
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Chessex is comming out with a new version! But when, and what are the changes are they going to make?!
http://www.chessex.com/Games/Games.htm

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Cannon
United States
ATLANTA
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:New Version
fireborn (#44769),

They have been coming out with a new version for years now, and it has yet to appear. Boardgame vaporware. I've stopped waiting...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Peek
United States
Preston
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
fireborn (#44769),

Chessex wouldn't even respond to my e-mail asking for specifics, or even IF the game is still in the pipeline. I wish they would just do the right thing and givve up the copyright so Tom Jolly could shop it around to someone who would do it justice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Beijner
Sweden
-
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
robcannonsoftware wrote:
fireborn (#44769),

They have been coming out with a new version for years now, and it has yet to appear. Boardgame vaporware. I've stopped waiting...

Yes, my local boardgamestore even took in a few copies, advertising them as the new edition. I bought a copy and it proved to be false advertising and I took my copy back, and was promised they would sell me a copy of the new edition as soon as they got it (and I promised to buy it). In the intervening years (2-3?) my boardgamestore has turned into a computer game store (sigh).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Lach
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
It is disappointing that the new edition seems to be a dead issue; I was waiting for a long time like everyone else but have stopped the Chessex watch. I really think they lost out on an opportunity with this one.

Anyone have any thoughts as to using the new Dungeon Twister game and some components as a bit of an upgrade to Wiz War? Board components look to be the same size (# of squares, at least). While I don't own Dungeon Twister yet (waiting for the English edition - soon I hope), it looks like it could help a bit with a board upgrade or at least a variation. Still doesn't help with any card update or upgrade but I'm wondering if these two systems could be worked together somehow. Anyway, just a thought....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Daneman
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I suggest making your own version. That's what I did. There's a link to a great website with all the resources in the Links section (here's the link: http://www.jeloba.com/wizwar/ ).
The boards and tokens are pretty easy to make by printing them out on full-page sticky lables, attaching those to cardstock, and slicing with a paper cutter.
The cards can be printed on perforated business card stock or on sticky lables that are then attached to regular playing or MTG cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Brettschneider
Germany
Mainz
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The wait may finally be over soon. I talked to Don at the Chessex Booth in Essen, and to my surprise he presented a mock-up of the 8th edition Wiz-War, with a few sample cards/counters and six double-sided game boards (everything is full-color now). He seemed quite interested in my comments, and told me that there will be a final revision soon, and the game will be ready to go in print.

We all know what "soon" means at Chessex, but I thought I'd share this with you guys to let you know that something is happening.
surprise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Imagine wrote:
The wait may finally be over soon.

Maybe it is too late now that Dungeon Twister is out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shannon Appelcline
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They're very different games.

DT is a tight, tactical Eurogame.

WW is a sloppy, beer & pretzels, take that American game.

The similarity is alsmost entirely thematic.

Shannon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j b Goodwin

Lynchburg
Virginia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shannona wrote:
They're very different games.

DT is a tight, tactical Eurogame.

WW is a sloppy, beer & pretzels, take that American game.

The similarity is alsmost entirely thematic.

Shannon

Wow, have you missed the boat! Wiz-War doesn't threaten your precious Dungeon Twister (which is a fine game), so there is no need to besmirch it. Beer & pretzels, yes; take-that, yes; American, proudly so; but sloppy? You are deranged in your assessment. Try it again with an open mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Low
Australia
Footscray
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
swandive78 wrote:

Wow, have you missed the boat! Wiz-War doesn't threaten your precious Dungeon Twister (which is a fine game), so there is no need to besmirch it. Beer & pretzels, yes; take-that, yes; American, proudly so; but sloppy? You are deranged in your assessment. Try it again with an open mind.

Now who's getting 'precious' about their preference in games!

I don't think that Shannon's description is wrong nor was it meant to be demeaning to Wiz-war in any way.

DT is a completely different beast: it's more like chess. Very ordered, very tactical.

WW is sloppy in a sense that there can be such wild playing of cards. Perhaps more messy than sloppy. But in a good way of course.

I look forward to a reprint. But I have made my own copy in the meantime.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sifu
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
Email response from Chessex regarding my inquiry about a Wiz War reprint:

"I honestly have no update to give you. We are looking into getting it
printed in China. 2007????"

This isn't very promising, but it's something. Wiz War is one of those games I've been interested in for a long time, and I'm kind of on the fence about making my own copy vs. Ebay vs. waiting for a reprint. I do like professional quality. I do not like Ebay prices (very often). Decisions, decisions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Brettschneider
Germany
Mainz
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just buy the damn thing on eBay. If you like beer-and-pretzel games with a great atmosphere and a take-that attitude, and have two or more like-minded people at hand, you will not regret it.

By the time the reprint shows up, you will be playing your copy with your grandkids.
hehe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Brettschneider
Germany
Mainz
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One of my traditional stops at the Essen fair is the Chessex booth where I harrass Don (owner of Chessex) about the reprint of Wiz-War. I don't ask for a publishing date, as everyone knows that whatever date he tells you, it's not gonna be it.
shake

What he did tell me, though - and I think that's very interesting - is that Thomas "Dungeoneer" Denmark will be responsible for the new artwork. While I admire his Dungeoneer cards (just not the game mechanics, which is why I sold my decks), I'm wondering if his style isn't too serious for such a crazy game. Unfortunately, Don didn't have any samples to show me... I guess I'll just have to wait till next year - when I'll be back to the Chessex booth at Essen.

Or does anyone seriously believe that Wiz-War will have been reprinted by then?!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
daniel silverthorne
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mishenka wrote:
I suggest making your own version. That's what I did. There's a link to a great website with all the resources in the Links section (here's the link: http://www.jeloba.com/wizwar/ ).
The boards and tokens are pretty easy to make by printing them out on full-page sticky lables, attaching those to cardstock, and slicing with a paper cutter.

Thanks for the link, great quality, I like your idea. But what we did was created a variant of the original. We used the larger maps not the early version and made a Mega Wiz War Photo here http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/174960 we used the original rules with the expansions and had a great time created the game. Wiz War is a game that as long as you can get your hands on it you will have a good time. My wife will even play it with me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mexilplif wrote:
Thanks for the link, great quality, I like your idea. But what we did was created a variant of the original. We used the larger maps not the early version and made a Mega Wiz War Photo here http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/174960 we used the original rules with the expansions and had a great time created the game. Wiz War is a game that as long as you can get your hands on it you will have a good time. My wife will even play it with me.

Not be a nag, because I postd this same question in the comments, but that setup rocks. We were thinking of building a similar setup now that we have seen that and were wondering what rules you guys use to handle the extra playing space in the middle and stuff. I have some ideas but would like to know what you guys have already play tested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.