Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gates Dowd

Minneapolis
Minnesota
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
*Publishing Note! Nick is currently traveling, so I am posting this on his behalf.

Hi I’m Nick Brachmann, Graphic Designer and Developer at Leder Games. I’ve worked on Vast The Mysterious Manor, the upcoming expansion Root Underworld and currently am lead Developer for Fort (a republishing of Grant Rodiek’s SPQF)

With SPQF being the first game signed and re-published by Leder Games, it seemed like many of you might be curious why we decided to take on this project and what they should expect from our reimplementation. I hope I can answer those questions and would be happy to take any other questions you might have in this thread.

Where does Fort fit into our schedule?

When we were planning our schedule we noticed a bit of a window, not a huge window but a few months where I wasn’t going to be directly needed in any one specific project. We had also often discussed attempting to do a line of direct-to-retail games, which would allow us to work on smaller projects that we can get to your gaming table faster than the bigger designs we usually make.

With this in mind, I was tasked with presenting a project to the team that could be completed primarily by me without demanding much time from Patrick and Cole as they both work on their own projects.

Why did we choose SPQF?
We looked at dozens of prototypes, published games, and shelved projects of our own. In the end there were about 3 standouts. They all were smaller in scope, nearly (or completely) designed, and seemed to fit into our brand--which is to say, they were sufficiently weird. I spent a week or so with these games in a kind of development sprint before presenting them to the team. Some only required a few rules changes, some required entire re-construction. At this point art/theme were completely secondary, I only wanted to present the essence of what made these games interesting. I was essentially trying to sell the rest of the team (marketing/production/art) on the project. At the end of it all SPQF was the last one standing.

What is SPQF?(answered by designer, Grant Rodiek)
I sought to make a pure deckbuilder that stood out in a well worn genre of excellent designs, particularly within either the Dominion or Ascension family of mechanisms. I took a look at the genre and identified a few ways to alter things, particularly within the realm of how and why cards are obtained.

The game also looked to games like Race for the Galaxy to keep all players involved in every turn, adding a light dose of interaction to a genre that often isn’t.

Originally themed around the notion of growing an Antiquity Civilization, the game pushed players to gather, arrange, and maximize resources for key moments to gain points.

What is different about FORT?
Theme- While we loved the original theme, we already have a game about anthropomorphic animals. We considered setting the game in the Root-verse but later found this to feel a bit tacked on thematically.

Then, while reviewing the Leder archives we were reminded of a game taking place in at a summer camp where factions of warring kids competed in various games. This became the ground-work for FORT, we shifted away from a camp to kids playing in their neighborhood. Shows like Recess, Kids Next Door, and Ed Edd and Eddy were great sources of inspiration. You now command posse’s of kids, collecting pizza and toys in the hopes of having the coolest Fort.

Mechanics- Very little has changed here, Grant’s original game is a gem. Players will still be playing cards, modifying cards and following actions. Certain actions have been cut from the game and others added. We also re-worked the private scoring objectives and added Perks that will allow players to lean into specific strategies more.

Components- SPQF contained cards and laser cut wood components. While gorgeous, that process and materials don't exactly scale how we need. Fort will have cards, screen printed wooden resources and trackers, and standard punch board playerboards.

When can I buy it?
Currently, we plan to have Fort available for pre-order directly from Leder Games in June, and then go directly into retail shortly after.
Its release show will be Origins 2020 and it will also be available at Gen Con 2020

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I’m thrilled
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Odd Tatu
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm really disappointed that the game won't take place within the Root-verse (first Oath, now Fort), especially since I was really digging the theme of SPQF in the first place. I don't think I'd get the game then since theme is the most important aspect of a game for me (weird, I know).

Nonetheless, I'm sure it's the right call and I wish you lots of success with this reimplementation!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mesa
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Nick wrote:
it seemed like many of you might be curious why we decided to take on this project
I mean, I thought games about the Roman empire was what you all did now.

devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C&H Schmidt
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
Microbadge: So Very Wrong About Games fanMicrobadge: I completed the 2019 challenge to play 10 games 10 times eachMicrobadge: I love symmetryMicrobadge: Android: Netrunner fanMicrobadge: Tea drinker
Wow, I love the sound of this!
The theme and the initial illustrations for this are excellent and really fit with Kyle Ferrin's art style. (I've yet to seen any illustration by Kyle that I don't love.)

I also love the other Grant Rodiek game I've played, Imperius.
So this sounds like an instant purchase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gswp wrote:
Very kind of you to say!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
... ...
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gswp wrote:
The theme and the initial illustrations for this are excellent and really fit with Kyle Ferrin's art style. (I've yet to seen any illustration by Kyle that I don't love.)

+1 Imperius is great and Grant really is a designer who deserves a lot more recognition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blair
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nikolas88 wrote:
Gswp wrote:

+1 Imperius is great and Grant really is a designer who deserves a lot more recognition.
Still need to give Solstice/Imperius a go but I really enjoy Farmageddon and Hocus. Will be getting FORT for sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Tix
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Andy Mesa wrote:
I mean, I thought games about the Roman empire was what you all did now.
What? what? what? Do I miss the irony here? (I know SPQF was both about anthropomorph animals and Ancient Rome...) But is there a Roman-themed game coming up from Leder???

For the record: Fort will be an insta-buy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Roman
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have greatly enjoyed my plays with Imperius is phenomenal (and both of its mini-expansions), and would have loved to see Grant flesh out more of that universe. Alas...

SPQF has been a surprise hit with my gaming group, and remains strong enough to occupy our time when we've had our fill of Netrunner (this is considered very high praise from my comrades).

Rodiek reimplementation + Ferrin artwork + Leder production values = shut up & take my money

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
0×××{}=====>
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dang, now I miss the days when Cartoon Network was actually awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dumidu Surasinghe
South Africa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thrilled to find a second hand copy of SPQF at my local game store. I'd love to get it to the table more but I'm mostly a solo gamer at the minute - was a solo mode considered for Fort or is it rather tricky?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
prawn1za wrote:
I was thrilled to find a second hand copy of SPQF at my local game store. I'd love to get it to the table more but I'm mostly a solo gamer at the minute - was a solo mode considered for Fort or is it rather tricky?
The game is fundamentally built around player interaction and we never considered a solo mode.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dumidu Surasinghe
South Africa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HerrohGrant wrote:
prawn1za wrote:
The game is fundamentally built around player interaction and we never considered a solo mode.
I feared as much. Thanks for the reply nonetheless.

Good luck with the venture. I'm sure Fort will be a great production.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Winfred Ang
Philippines
Davao
Davao del Sur
flag msg tools
mb
Will this be available as an add-on to the Oath kickstarter?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Leder
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We can look into it, but that sounds complicated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
blakraven66 wrote:
Will this be available as an add-on to the Oath kickstarter?
I cannot speak to how Leder intends to run the KS for Oath, but the current plan (which seems on track still) is that Fort will he available for purchase in stores by Summer 2020. So it seems less likely as the “add on” wouldn’t be much of a benefit?

Just designer speculation.

Update Edit: Of course I should have refreshed to see publisher had commented.

Patrick > Grant - never forget!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls