Popular Tags: [View All]
Stven Carlberg
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

A couple of weeks ago Curt Churchill asked me my opinion of Auf Achse because he was thinking of picking up a copy. I had to tell him I'd only played it once, several years ago, and with six players it had dragged and not been well received. I've carted my copy around to Gulf Games and the Oasis of Fun by request, but I'd never seen it played again until tonight. For Curt's benefit I re-familiarized myself with the rules this week, and we limited the table to four players, and it actually went pretty well.

In case you haven't played this 1987 SdJ winner before, it's a game where you have contracts to pick up goods in one city and take them in your truck to another city, but unlike British Rails and its family, you have to pay cash up front for the contracts and you're not limited to three at a time.

It helped this running that I was able to offer some advice about what was going to be important strategically, so as the end of the game approached nobody had bought more contracts than he was possibly going to be able to fulfill (an easy mistake for a new player to make), and the win came down -- as Herr Kramer clearly designed -- to some good luck with the event cards and the rolls of the die for ace trucker Bradley Belflower, who edged me out by something like 22.000 to 20.400.

All four of us (Ken Collins being the player named later) enjoyed the game and would play it again. It had an interesting, kind of bumpy rhythm to it with the big thuds of luck served up by the event cards and the chance to hit the leader -- well, let's be honest: the outright hosage! -- when somebody rolled a one and got to put the roadblock wherever they wanted. And it went a lot faster with four than with six.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.