Memoir '44» Forums » General

Subject: Overlord: Combining decks rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played my first Overlord scenario last night (the one in the main book). I was the Commandeer of the Axis, and we lost. I'll take some of the blame, of course, cause I made a few bad decisions with the cards, but it didn't help that our opponents played two Direct from HQ and two Their Finest Hour cards during the course of the game (we didn't have a single one of either).

The amazingly good fortunes of the allies got me thinking about the game setup. According to the rules, you're supposed to shuffle two decks together for the game and have each side draw from there. But why? WHy not have two seperate decks, one for each side? This would give both sides perfect balance in terms of the pool of potential cards that can be drawn. Thus, it would help prevent what happened in our game... one side scoring all the good cards.
And as an added bonus, because I know some gamers might not like the idea of mixing their set up with another person's set, no more marking of cards to distinguish which cards belong to whom.

I know that luck will always have a role in this game, and that sometimes, one side will get all the good cards, but I'm thinking having two seperate draw decks would make for a more equitable distribution of cards.

Thoughts?

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Hautemont
United States
Los Altos
California
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Overlord: Combining decks
bwridge (#44930),
this is something I would _not_ recommend, if only for the following reason. Your right flanks cards happen to be your opponent's left flank cards. So the more right flanks cards you have in hand, the greater the likelyhood he/she will draw left flank cards (which will match your right flank cards in hand). This provides some nice self-balancing that minimizes the risks of both camps combatting alone and unabated in their own individual portion of the board.
If you each have a deck, this won't happen any more.
If you _really_ wanted to split the decks, then I would recommend shuffling all the section cards together, making a separate deck with the tactic cards, and establishing some rules as to how often you can both draw from the tactics deck rather than the sections one.
eric @ DoW

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.