Subject: Rules Question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron Pino
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
I have an interesting question about the Blackbeard rules. I was playing a solitare game the other day in which I bought a safe haven in the Spanish port of Cartagena. Later, I bought a second one in a British port. Then, I acquired info from a hostage about the Spanish port of Portabella, and decided to raid it, thus forfeiting the Net Worth I had stashed in my Spanish safe haven. Later on, I managed to acquire a King's Pardon from the Spanish, thus removing my attack history against them. My question is, can I now reclaim my Net Worth I had stashed Cartagena, or is it still lost forever?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Goff
United States
Aiken
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Clemson Tigers!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Rules Question
I would think (in real life) the money there would be gone. Months, maybe years, would've passed by.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My two cents worth
I agree with the historical analogy. I also think that in terms of game mechanics you probably should loose the money. It was safe as long as you didn't raid a Spanish port. You chose to raid a Spanish port to gain money (I assume more than you lost). That was a trade off. While you might later on get a pardon from the Spanish and be able use their safe havens again, it doesn't seem right that you would also get that lost money back. That would double the value of a pardon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gilbert
United States
Summit
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Rules Question
According to rule 10.43:
"A pirate loses his Safe Haven and any Net Worth stashed there if he attacks any Merchant/Port of that nationality."

Since the rule says "loses" rather than "cannot access" or something like it, it would seem that once your stashed Net Worth is gone, it's gone. You also lost your Safe Haven.

The same rule makes a distinction by saying that you cannot access your Safe Haven while the port has an anti-pirate governor, but the Net Worth remains yours pending your retirement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.