Subject: M44 or Axis & Allies D-Day? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Bolesh
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
I'm trying to decide whether my next purchase is M44 or A&A D-Day. It would be helpful to hear pros and cons from people who have played both.

I'm pretty easy -- just a regular game geek. I do enjoy wargames (i.e. SL and A&A), but I also like pure strategy and "German-style" games. Arch-realism and historical simulation need not rule the day, and being able to play a quick game with my fiance is a definite plus.

I think I've picked up on the essential nature of both games by reading reviews and articles. My basic understanding is that M44 is a "light" game that incorporates luck a bit more. A&A D-day, on the other hand, seems to stress historicity and tactics a bit more. Is this accurate?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fredrik Claesson
Sweden
Stockholm
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:M44 or Axis
ejagricola (#45058),
Considering your wants, I would go with Memoir 44. It is easy and entertaining. And you can play several scenarios in one evening. If you want realism, I would recommend Breakout Normandy rather than A&A D-Day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-François Gagné
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ejagricola (#45058),
I personnaly own both and consider Memoir' 44 to be more fun. It can allow more player too (2-4 with one game, 2 to 8 with 2 board and play the incredible Overlord Scenarios).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Bolesh
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Thanks to both of you. It sounds like it's tough to go wrong with M44.

Jean Francois (and others) -- is it easy to involve 2-4 players in one game (not Overlord)? That would be great for my gaming group, which values the "cameraderie factor" in games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-François Gagné
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ejagricola (#45159),
Go for Memoir' 44.

Overlord, which requires 2 copies of the game, could be played with 2 to 4 players, however, might as well play the regular scenarios.

From 6 to 8, that's when Overlord is worth it in my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.