Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve McKnight
United States
Needham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Announcing an opportunity to observe two on-going, 10-character Magic Realm games played by beginning/intermediate players. The games, BIMR4 and BIMR5, have slightly different optional rule sets as explained on their home pages below. The games are on Day 4 or Day 5 out of 28 as of 7/13/04, and are progressing at about two turns per week. The web sites have images of the boards from each day and records of setup and game history.

You can find the games and follow along at the web sites:
http://www.thewinternet.com/BIMR4/
http://www.thewinternet.com/BIMR5/

If you are interested in playing in the next BIMR PBEM (play-by-e-mail) game, contact the gamemasters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Peek
United States
Preston
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Re:On-Line Magic Realm Games for Observers
Just read over the optional rules involved in BIMR4, and gave myself a headache. I can't believe that I ever had the time in my misspent youth to read and grasp such a completely unintuitive set of rules. I am so glad that Eurogames came to the forefront of popularity, as one gets a better return on emotional, mental, and temporal investment.

I admire the amount of detail and care that has gone into that site, but geez, the clinical approach completely saps the game of any semblence of life. It didn't look or feel like a famtasy epic unfolding before my eyes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Skulley
United States
Westminster
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One wonders if you have ever played it...
Because, while somewhat mechanical, there certainly is a great deal of flavor in the game, once you have passed through the initial learning curve on how it all fits together...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane Peacock
United States
Stansbury Park
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
That tickles
mbmbmbmbmb
BillSkulley (#45231),
I will even go one further, this is the most richly themed game ever!

However, Randall is right about the unintuitive rules. I myself cannot believe that I ever grasped these as a youth. I play with the 3rd edition rules now (GREAT job, by the way), but this game would benefit from a complete reworking and streamlining of game play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Talarius Dunedain
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
Hellboy!
mbmbmbmbmb
mcknight (#45122),
I'd really like to try playing one of these MR PBEM games someday, but the rules are so daunting (I've never played MR before). I may have to force myself to slog through the rules, but it'll be tough going. Are you intending to run more sessions of this game online?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve McKnight
United States
Needham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Talarius (#54542),

This is the third Beginning/Intermediate game that I've run. I run the games in a very tutorial fashion, and I've been happy to give hints and answer all sorts of questions from players as the game goes on. I've actually had some raw beginners play and not do badly. I always recommend that the players download my 8-page rule summary "The Least You Need to Know to Play Magic Realm" from the 'Geek as a game summary and cheat sheet.

My job has gotten much busier lately, and my gamemastering is slowing down, so it may be a while before I start another BIMR game. But feel free to send me an e-mail and I'll put you on the list for the next game whenever it starts.

For those who are interested, the games I've run are listed below:

BIMR
The first Beginning/Intermediate game that I mastered. The game narrative is on this forum (twice, actually, since it disappeared for a few days once and I was afraid that the 'Geek had trashed it). The full game record with full scale board maps and movement arrows for each turn is still on the web at:
http://www.redridgegames.com/MR/

For BIMR I used the standard set of basic + advanced rules and the game included the usual amount of native bashing with the Black Knight and Pilgrim tied as victors at +18 Victory Points each.

BIMR3
Mick Shields mastered BIMR2, so BIMR3 was my second game. The narrative of BIMR3 is the "Spotlight Article" on this site, and the full record of the game (including images of the Melee Sheets during combat) is located at:
http://www.thewinternet.com/BIMR/

In BIRM3, I wanted to try out Richard Hamblen's "Watchful Natives" rule to see if it would curtail the native bashing, but I dropped the rest of the Advanced Rules. "Watchful Natives" allowed the Rogues to survive for over two weeks, but the Witch and the Witch King demonstrated how to use "Absorb Essence" to devastate the light/medium native groups. The Witch won with 58 Victory Points, just beating out the Witch King with 56 Victory Points.

BIMR4
BIMR4 is going on now. The game record, including images of the Melee Sheets during combat again, is going on at:
http://www.thewinternet.com/BIMR4/

To close the "Absorb Essence" loophole, I've employed the Optional Combat rules as well as "Watchful Natives" in BIMR4. The game is up through Day 17, and the outcome is still quite uncertain (although the Wizard has demonstrated how lethal a prepared "Fiery Blast" can be with the Optional Combat rules). The characters in BIMR4 have banded together to survive in the more dangerous Realm that the Optional Combat rules create, and they have demonstrated that no native group is safe against determined groups of cooperative characters, no matter what optional rules are in play.

From all this, I think I've concluded that the best BIMR game rule set for beginning/intermediate players is just the basic game, perhaps including the Seasons/Weather rules just for atmosphere (no pun intended). As Richard Hamblen implied in his discussion of the Second Edition optional character advantages, diplomacy can even out even the most blatant character imbalances.

Personally I think that the character imbalance in Magic Realm is vastly overestimated - many people seem to think that the Pilgrim and Witch (the victors in BIMR and BIMR3!) are just hopelessly weak characters.

--Steve

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.