Subject: worth paying 18 bucks? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Lee
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Is this worth 18 bucks? (including shipping) I heard that you can play this with just regular cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb
Re:worth paying 18 bucks?
oboman2002 (#45203),

You can play this game with regular cards if you have five suits.

If you consider price per play then it would be well worth it. It is both quick and accessible, meaning you have the potential to play many times with most anyone you introduce it to.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
oboman2002 (#45203),

My wife and I have gotten far more than eighteen dollars worth of fun out of this game. We've played dozens and dozens of games and each of us wins about half the time. She enjoys it as much as I do.

It is true that you could get a five-suited deck of cards and play the same game for less money; that's not a bad option either if the eighteen dollars is an obstacle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chip Beauvais
United States
Maynard
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
oboman2002 (#45203),

I put off purchasing Lost Cities for about a year, and played with a deck of cards instead. For a combination of reasons already covered, I decided to purchase a copy of the game, and I'm glad that I did. Not only do I get the "helping the designer" warm-fuzzies, but I play the game more often, and new players like the game more.

Presentation helps to "sell" the game to a new player. By the time the novelty of the pretty pictures wears off, the mechanics of the game should have them hooked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Schloesser
United States
Jefferson City
TN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
oboman2002 (#45203),

Spend the $18 ... this game is a true gem. I've played it probably close to a hundred times. It is one of the very few games my wife will actually request to play. Marketed properly, Lost Cities is a game that may well still be being played 100 years from now.

Even though the theme is thin, it is MUCH better than playing with just a regular deck of cards. Spend the bucks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Breti
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I, too like to rate games' value based on playing time relative to movies/concerts/events. I figure if you match time movie viewing to time game playing, if the game matches up, then it was worth it. I suppose you could take this to an extreme and have lots of games, but that's not what I meant.

Yes, it is certainly worth the money. I like the images on the cards, as I think they do give a sense of "exploration". I have played the game far more times than the equivalent value for movies, so I think it's more than paid for itself.

Do others use similar standards when buying games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For computer games, I've always used a dollar an hour as an estimate of play time vs. value. With computer games there is an enormous amount of depreciation within a very short time. It is not uncommon to find yesterdays cutting edge best seller in the bargin bin for $10 after six months. Board games aren't like that. They either go out of print or the price goes up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger McKay
Canada
Bedford
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jayzen wrote:
I, too like to rate games' value based on playing time relative to movies/concerts/events. I figure if you match time movie viewing to time game playing, if the game matches up, then it was worth it. I suppose you could take this to an extreme and have lots of games, but that's not what I meant.

Do others use similar standards when buying games?

I certainly do. However, I consider movies in general to be a very poor entertainment value. Consequently, I rarely go to movies.

My prime source of entertainment is games, both board and electronic (pc and consoles). If a game costs about $2 per hour which I spend enjoying it, then I consider it a decent value. If it costs $1 or less per hour, then it's a great deal. On the electronic side, Starcraft, Master of Orion 2, Microprose's Magic: the Gathering, and Warlords Battlecry 2, have all been fantastic values. On consoles, several Playstation RPGs (Vagrant Story, FF Tactics, Valkyrie Profile) have been great values each giving me well over a hundred hours of fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Braley
United States
Modesto
California
flag msg tools
It is funny you look at it that way, it is the same for myself. The other thing that factors into that equation for me is who I am able to play the games with (i.e. If my wife is willing to play, then it is more valuable). Lost Cities falls into this category...

Not only have I played it for many hours, but most of those with my wife!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger McKay
Canada
Bedford
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RogMcK (#45510),

I should add Lemmings to the PC list. What an incredible gaming experience! I had a friend who would split duties with me as we progressed through the levels. Some of them took many attempts, and it was great to be able to take a break in order to fight the high degree of frustration.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert R
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
oboman2002 (#45203),

Yes it is worth it. I just bought it today for $20 at a comics store...very much worth it. I have Acquire, Puerto Rico, Memoir 44 and this is the first time my wife goes " Wow, I like this game!". Now don't think this is a play-with-a-spouse-only game, based on the previous commentaries about it being cool to play with a spouse...it is as much fun with friends. Of course, when I have more friends that want to play a board game, I prefer to go with Puerto Rico or Acquire. cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.