United States
Goldsboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Udu Wudu
badge
Udu Wudu
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, I often think that playing a game designed for up to 3 or 4 players can lose strategic potential when played with only 2 players. Sometimes it seems a little "thin" ie, your turn, my turn, your turn etc etc. With 2 players, I often wonder would a game in question be be "fuller" if each player controlled 2 colors apiece? Obviously this has no advantages in some games (eg carcassonne)

As with Cave Troll, each player has 2 allied teams that help each other but score seperately. They take their own turns (for example, player one moves yellow or draws from the yellow pile on turn one, and does the same for green and only green on turn 3). At the end of the game, each player summates the totals of his two allies.

Any positive or negative thoughts on this?
Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Shepherd
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Be on your guard. There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:2-Player Alternative
voynix (#45237),

Not a bad suggestion. I would make the following Knizia inspired tweak to it: at the end of the game ignore your higher scoring team's score. The player with the higher total in his lower scoring team wins. This prevents players from using one team sacrificially.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Commandeur
Netherlands
Leiden
Zuid Holland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

We simply play Cave Troll with half of the bord if we play with two persons (the part where you can score 10-34 and 85-9). It matters a little bit which halves you take in terms of amount of gold in the rooms and the distribution of gold.

Playing with half of the bord works fine, and is probably a little easier than playing with two parties. The problem with playing a whole board with two players is that you can stay on your own side to much. This problem is solved with a smaller cave.

Although a two player setup can work I think it's just more fun with 3 or 4 players.

Aye,
Edwin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.