Popular Tags: [View All]
The Games Are About Glory
United States
Macedon
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First ever session report for a first time play of the game...so bear with me.

My wife and I had some time before heading out to a kids birthday party so I decided to try and teach her Carcassonne to fill the time. I've played the PC demo a few times so I was confident that my first "real" game would go smoothly. I opted to remove the river tiles and not play with farmers to simplify things the first time around. A good move, as we were able to finish the game with time to spare.

I started out grabbing an early lead with nice tile draws - two cloisters and two cathedrals. She scored modest points for small roads and cities while I worked on my monsters. As I was finishng up my last big city she started pulling the rest of the cloisters and had started a metropolis of her own. I drew a tile that poised me for a hostile takeover of said city so I moved Bubba the Macho Meeple in for the kill.

Of course she pulls the ONLY tile that could save her from certain doom and she ends up with 20 points compared to Bubba's measley 2.

From that point forward the tiles were in her favor and she completed or nearly completed four cloisters (one of which I advised her where to place it). I had two long roads in progress in hopes of keeping my now narrow lead but some inn on the lake tiles reduced them to fragments yeilding no points at the end. She completed a couple small cities with pennants near the very end (again with some advice) and it proved enough to edge out a victory for her, 130-122.

I suppose you could say that I was killed by kindness (my own) but what's really important is that she liked the game and wants to play again - this time with the river and farmers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.