Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
We love our pups!! Misu, RIP 28 Nov 2010. Tikka, RIP 11 Aug 2011.
mbmbmbmbmb
Our first game: a 2er, me and Mary.

The rules are pretty brief (2 pages, front and back): after setup (random board setup, semi-random river placement based on rules, with occasional decisions made by first player), each player takes turns, in 2 parts. (1) Move campesinos, build buildings and/or place dams. (2) Harvest (according to the next harvest tile) or delay harvesting. Harvest = $$ and dams, which are needed for part 1 actions in later turns. First player to build all 5 buildings, or 3 casas + hacienda all on river, wins game. Desperados occasionaly show up (twice each run through the harvest tile stack) knocking campesinos from the river back down to the city.

The rules are pretty simple, but the play is interesting. It seems that the first player has some advantages - her campesinos can't be bumped off till first round over; but maybe it's not a huge advantage since the harvest tiles are random and only revealed after river is set up, and (at least with only 2 players) there wasn't much bumping around early in the game, anyway. We initially worked on 1 river each. But soon enough, we were building dams and diverting and rediverting. And, of course, our campesinos were mixing it up, too. I was usually able to divert the river(s) away from M on my turns, giving her relatively less income. Still, she did the same to me, and managed to build 2 casas and her hacienda while I had just the 3 casas out (one of which was cut off entirely from either river). But, I had the cash advantage. My 2nd to last turn, I built a casa and still collected cash; had 900. Despite diverting the river, M still left me with a $100 payoff, so I earned just enough to build hacienda on my last turn, for the win.

I liked this game a lot. There is lots of player interaction, and it could certainly get pretty heated. With more than 2 players, there might be a lot of down time, too - this may be a good one for the timer. But with 2, you could plan a fair bit, and down time wasn't usually too bad. It's not for everyone - in fact, I'm not sure if M will play it with me again - but with the right group this could be fun!

7/10 after 1 play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Kwan
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Session Report
snoozefest (#45720),

According to the translation here, in the first turn, a player *who has yet to take his first turn* cannot be attacked. This means that the first player can be attacked right away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.