Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
S. Copeland
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No matter how many two player games I play, it always boils down to one strategy. The pieces get maneuvered into several groups (three territories per group). This gives one player all the village chips and all the other player can do is make a move and give the other player another village. In almost every game the village chips are distributed 11-1. How do you stop this strategy?

Example:

1. There are 11 isolated groups (3 territories per group).
2. Player 1 moves huts out of a territory (leaving 2 territories in that group).
3. Player 2 joins the 2 territories and gets a village.
4. There are now 10 isolated groups (3 territories per group).
5. Player 1 moves huts out of a territory (leaving 2 territories in that group).
6. Player 2 joins the 2 territories and gets a village.
7. Repeat until end of game.

As much strategy as I employ it is hard to beat someone when they are getting 11 points at the end of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Re:Help!!
Imhotep (#45723),

Sometimes it's better to allow your opponent to create a village if this can lead to identify his colour.
You CAN win even going 1-11 with the special chips.
It's quite difficult to show you HOW without playing the game... have you tried BSW?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jasen Robillard
Canada
Calgary
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Imhotep (#45723),

I think you answer your own question Stryder. It should be possible for you to play in a way that does not create 11 isolated groups at the end of the game. Here are a couple pointers:
- maybe try forming groups of 4 or 5 isolated territories as a goal when you play next time.
- one of the key strategies in Clans is to give your opponent a village formation move that sets you up for a village formation move of your own immediately afterward. This works best if you put your opponent in a situation where he/she will not score any points without the village formation bonus and/or you're in a position to score in a favorable territory without him.
- simply force larger groups with multiples of your opponents' huts. If you don't know what color your opponent is, just start picking on one color and try getting as many as possible into a single village. Once you've weakened that color substantially (and if your opponent isn't acting defensively) switch to a different color.
- if your opponent manages to still form 11 out of the 12 villages next time you play, perhaps you should ask your opponent how they manage to do it every time.

Luca is right though - you can win the game even if your opponent gets all the bonus chips. It's just extremely difficult as you have to ensure that your huts are in most of the formed, scoring villages. This of course is very difficult if you have little control over the scoring area and timing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. Copeland
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Baldboy_1 (#45831),

Thanks, to both you and Luca. Between your advice and Luca's recommendation to play ‘Clans’ at BSW I have finally persuaded my gamming buddy to adopt a new strategy. Forcing larger villages and setting up moves that give us both villages has really helped break the cycle. Thanks again for ending my torment!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wouter De Bruycker
Belgium
Gent
Oost-Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
Imhotep (#46103),

what's "BSW" ? Is it online "clans" ?
Where can I do this?

Thx

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wouwter (#457780),

BSW is short for http://www.brettspielwelt.de

You can play about 50 different board games there, including Clans. The interface is pretty bad, but it's worth it if you can spend the time to learn it. I recommend downloading the client rather than playing in your browser.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.