Popular Tags: [View All]
Chuck Uherske
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Back to Tinsel Town again! For the first time ever, James joined us. James, Ben, Ron, Damon and I all established ourselves as heads of Hollywood's major film studios.

With five studios butting heads to land Hollywood's finest talent, competition was fierce. Ben's was the only studio that was able to put together enough talent in one place to churn out a film the first year, a version of The King and I starring Clark Gable. It was the best film of that year, a sorry comment on the film industry to be sure. Clark looked pretty silly in his Siamese getup.

In the second season, I managed to get out the first drama film, All Quiet on the Western Front. But James quickly showed that he was no hayseed despite being new in town: his Arsenic and Old Lace, with Cary Grant, eclipsed my offering as the best film of the second year.

The last time we went to Hollywood, Ben really made a point of hanging out with the most actors, the better to position himself on the party circuit. He did the same thing this time around; no one came even close to Ben in terms of attracting notice at the parties. Time and again he recruited outstanding talent for his studio, simply by hanging out with the right crowd.

Coming into the third season, Ben started things off with a release of Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, a strong 18-point film with Frank Sinatra and Gary Cooper. My Universal Studios then released Harvey -- not so coincidentally, with Jimmy Stewart. It unfortunately grossed just shy of Ben's release, and thus represented a major expenditure of resources to me without garnering any especial rewards.

Ron finally broke through with The Three Musketeers, proving that he was going after the Irony market -- the film was a fetid stinkbomb hurled into America's theaters, scoring only 4 at the Box Office.

Also in round three, James released The Seahawk with Lana Turner, Ben Citizen Kane with Ingrid Bergman and Vivien Leigh (an all-female cast!). Alfred Hitchcock directed King Kong for James, a very innovative choice.

Then the films started to come out fast and furious as the studios all managed to assemble the necessary talent. This seems to be a characteristic of the five-studio competition; it's hard to complete films as quickly, for the talent is spread so thin. Ben releasd From Here to Eternity with Lauren Bacall, I churned out a version of Frankenstein, Ben released The Grapse of Wrath, Ron Gone with the Wind with Humphrey Bogart (Frankly, Scarlett. . . here's lookin' at you. . . ). James put out Casablanca with Burt Lancaster and Kim Novak. Finally, Damon churned out a picture -- The Ten Commandments, with Errol Flynn and Marilyn Monroe! Ouch.

We weren't quite sure what had happened to Damon. He only put out one film the entire time we spent in Hollywood.

Ben had some tough decisions to make down the stretch, and made them with the assumption that Ron was his toughest competition rather than me. Turned out neither of us were. The surprise winner (even to himself) was James.

I was, unfortunately, one bit of talent shy of completing my last film. I allowed myself to be outbid by Ron for the last pool of talent, in a bad mistake.

Best Direction went to James.
Worst Film -- Ron.
Best Films in Categories went to James (Yellow), Chuck (Purple) and Ben (Green) respectively.

James pronounced himself very pleased with the game, not to mention with winning. I'm delighted to have recruited more enthusiasts for my business trips out to La-La Land.

James: 12 (Contracts) + 43 (Films) + 30 (Awards) = 85
Ben: 5 (Contracts) + 53 (Films) + 25 (Awards) = 83
Chuck: 18 (Contracts) + 40 (Films) + 15 (Awards) = 73
Ron: 4 (Contracts) + 32 (Films) + 10 (Awards) = 46
Damon: 11 (Contracts) + 14 (Films) + 0 (Awards) = 25

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Gola
United States
Redding
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
and everything under the sun is in tune
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Session Report
Wow, the Ten Commandments with Marilyn Monroe and Errol Flynn. That Moses was all man!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.