Unlock! Mystery Adventures» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Frustrations not worth the fun for this group. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Benson

Minnesota
msg tools
*Possible Spoilers*

I'm writing this in an attempt to not reveal too much and do not specifically reveal any details. However I realize the nature of these games is that most players would want to go in completely blind. So I leave it to you if you want to read on....

After playing some of the Exit! and Escape Room in a Box games we decided to give this series a try. First adventure seems straight forward but left us feeling a bit too easy. 2nd adventure was super frustrating and the solutions to puzzles didn't seem intuitive. Also you feel tricked by certain events.

3rd adventure was the most fun but took much longer than an hour to complete. There was one spot that we felt the app was incorrect, we thought we put in the correct code but we had to reverse 2 numbers and are still unsure why those numbers are switched. Either we missed something or the app is incorrectly programmed. So even though 3rd game was most fun this single part was the most frustrating in all and is really hard to justify. It did end on a high note though because the finally puzzle is pretty darn cool.

Verdict: We will stick with other series if we want a puzzle game for the evening.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Gianti
China
Guangzhou
Guangdong
flag msg tools
badge
"You are who you choose to be."
Microbadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Iron Giant - You are what you choose to be. You Choose. Choose.Microbadge: I speak MandarinMicrobadge: Pathfinder Adventure Card Game - EzrenMicrobadge: I love solo gaming!
Sorry to say, I had high hopes for this system, but the logic choices are illogical and every time I introduce this to a new group I need to have the walk through handy ready to explain the choice and logic that the designers think is obvious, but really isn't.

We have also run into the bugginess you mention too and the group thinks the answer is "4" (for example) and that seems to make sense to me too but the walk through says the answer is "3" and we can't see why.

Shelved the game, not likely go play it again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls