Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeremy Holmes
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Blue Peg Pink Peg - Pegs LogoMicrobadge: Copper Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: H. P. Lovecraft fanMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Gamer Dad
Good Monday morning everyone! Let's start the week off right with a brand-spanking new episode of Blue Peg, Pink Peg, chock full of the insightful commentary and witty banter you've come to expect from the Pegs.

Yes, I said "witty."

1) The Pegs discuss their recent game plays including Crystal Palace, Azul: Summer Pavilion, Terraforming Mars: Turmoil and many more;

2) All the Pegs review Isle of Cats; and

3) Look back at Blackout: Hong Kong.

Click on over to http://www.bluepegpinkpeg.com/ep164
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Rouse

Virginia
msg tools
badge
Blue Peg, Pink Peg Gaming Podcast
Microbadge: Blue Peg Pink Peg - Pegs LogoMicrobadge: I play with yellow!Microbadge: Plays Games with SpouseMicrobadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level I - One small step for geek... One giant leap for geek-kind!Microbadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level II - If I have seen further, it's only by standing on the apex of other's dice.
Not “kitty”?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Nelson
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Brass fanMicrobadge: Age of Steam fanMicrobadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level I - One small step for geek... One giant leap for geek-kind!Microbadge: Hollandspiele fanMicrobadge: Cardboard Klatch Member
Really glad to hear you all liked Crystal Palace. It was one of the few 2019 Euros that I actually enjoyed but I feel like it is getting almost no coverage. Hopefully this will get more people to try it. Really great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Velazquez
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Board Game Barrage podcast fanMicrobadge: The Secret Cabal Gaming Podcast fanMicrobadge: Three Minute Board Games fanMicrobadge: Man vs MeepleMicrobadge: So Very Wrong About Games fan
Is there a link to the Knoxville Con? I keep getting some results about Korea town and Funky Town

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Velazquez
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Board Game Barrage podcast fanMicrobadge: The Secret Cabal Gaming Podcast fanMicrobadge: Three Minute Board Games fanMicrobadge: Man vs MeepleMicrobadge: So Very Wrong About Games fan
velda3q wrote:
Is there a link to the Knoxville Con? I keep getting some results about Korea town and Funky Town

The Con is currently sold out as of now. Looks like the 150 spots are full, but I hope this means next year's is even bigger! Thanks for including this in the news segment as I'll be keeping this on my radar for next year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Holmes
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Blue Peg Pink Peg - Pegs LogoMicrobadge: Copper Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: H. P. Lovecraft fanMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Gamer Dad
velda3q wrote:
Here's the info so far: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/fun-k-town-2020-registration-91....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew S.
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
I salute your heroism, Lt. Col. Vindman.
Microbadge: Barrage fanMicrobadge: Pipeline fanMicrobadge: On Mars fanMicrobadge: Keyflower fanMicrobadge: Tramways fan
I had a player in game of Crystal Palace have exactly the same issue that Patrick did. I generally think that if a game has the regular potential to make someone have a miserable experience, that's a sign of a design flaw and merits a house rule. I just made my own turn order track and ruled that play is in descending order of pips.

(This is actually the second game featured by BPPP that I have house ruled for this reason. I have a house rule in the Variants section for Patchistory that I think completely fixes the issue of players being shut out of getting more politics points.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C&H Schmidt
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
Microbadge: So Very Wrong About Games fanMicrobadge: I completed the 2019 challenge to play 10 games 10 times eachMicrobadge: I love symmetryMicrobadge: Android: Netrunner fanMicrobadge: Tea drinker
Prismattic wrote:
I had a player in game of Crystal Palace have exactly the same issue that Patrick did.
Unfortunately I think this is fairly common, especially in worker placement games where getting first player is an action (classic example: Agricola). Usually player order proceeds clockwise after that.

However, I think the fact that you're bidding money makes this worse! In all other games I've played where players bid for turn order the order is then actually according the amount of your bid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Nelson
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Brass fanMicrobadge: Age of Steam fanMicrobadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level I - One small step for geek... One giant leap for geek-kind!Microbadge: Hollandspiele fanMicrobadge: Cardboard Klatch Member
Prismattic wrote:
I had a player in game of Crystal Palace have exactly the same issue that Patrick did. I generally think that if a game has the regular potential to make someone have a miserable experience, that's a sign of a design flaw and merits a house rule. I just made my own turn order track and ruled that play is in descending order of pips.

(This is actually the second game featured by BPPP that I have house ruled for this reason. I have a house rule in the Variants section for Patchistory that I think completely fixes the issue of players being shut out of getting more politics points.)
I struggled with this design decision in my first game, but I've come around on it. I think it adds another dimension to think about when you are considering how much to bid. Not only do you need to consider what actions others players are going to want to take and plan your individual pips accordingly, you also need to consider what you need to bid to go first (if you want to). And on top of that, you also need to consider who else might be looking to go first. If you know the person to your left is likely to want to go first, maybe this round you go low, save some money, since you know you will be going last anyway.

I'm not sure if this is what the designer intended, but it's added more to the game for me. I understand anyone who finds this to be frustrating, but usually when I see frustration, it's an opportunity for another layer of strategy/tactics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Holmes
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
nicknelson wrote:
Prismattic wrote:

I struggled with this design decision in my first game, but I've come around on it. I think it adds another dimension to think about when you are considering how much to bid. Not only do you need to consider what actions others players are going to want to take and plan your individual pips accordingly, you also need to consider what you need to bid to go first (if you want to). And on top of that, you also need to consider who else might be looking to go first. If you know the person to your left is likely to want to go first, maybe this round you go low, save some money, since you know you will be going last anyway.

I'm not sure if this is what the designer intended, but it's added more to the game for me. I understand anyone who finds this to be frustrating, but usually when I see frustration, it's an opportunity for another layer of strategy/tactics.
This is my feeling. Further, since the action spaces all have a minimum cost to place, bidding super low knowing you'll go earlier in the turn order doesn't mean you'll get the action you want. There's still a benefit in having high-value dice even if you go later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Kelly
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Stikfa-mation fanMicrobadge: Blue Peg Pink Peg - Pegs LogoMicrobadge: I love my Gamer SpouseMicrobadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level IV - The journey of a thousand crits begins with a single roll...Microbadge: Jack Vasel Memorial Fund auction participant - 2016
Regarding Crystal Palace and player order: In later plays I have found the turn order to be less problematic than I first thought. The designers have addressed their thinking on this feature of the game in some depth. I mostly agree with their assessment (for an example of my stunning pretention see the preceeding sentence, but hey, I call 'em like I see 'em). One variant I had considered I would be interested in trying out would be a reduction benefit. 2nd player pays 1 less than their bid, 3rd player 2 less than their bid, etc. It might not work out, but I would be curious to see how it feels.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Nelson
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
pablopk wrote:
Regarding Crystal Palace and player order: In later plays I have found the turn order to be less problematic than I first thought. The designers have addressed their thinking on this feature of the game in some depth. I mostly agree with their assessment (for an example of my stunning pretention see the preceeding sentence, but hey, I call 'em like I see 'em). One variant I had considered I would be interested in trying out would be a reduction benefit. 2nd player pays 1 less than their bid, 3rd player 2 less than their bid, etc. It might not work out, but I would be curious to see how it feels.
Patrick, do you have a link to the designer talking about the turn order mechanism? I would be interested in reading the design decision behind this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Kelly
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Stikfa-mation fanMicrobadge: Blue Peg Pink Peg - Pegs LogoMicrobadge: I love my Gamer SpouseMicrobadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level IV - The journey of a thousand crits begins with a single roll...Microbadge: Jack Vasel Memorial Fund auction participant - 2016
nicknelson wrote:
Patrick, do you have a link to the designer talking about the turn order mechanism? I would be interested in reading the design decision behind this.
Here ya go.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/2312974/turn-order-vari...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Warner
United States
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Hollow Knight fanMicrobadge: I love FranceMicrobadge: Gloomhaven fan
I must say, this has been my favorite 0 and 6 peg examples! A 6 peg cat is a dog

I wonder, how often do reroll scores actually go up? It must be hard to continue exploring a game that you didn't like very much enough to begin to like it, and it seems easy to burn out from playing good games too much. It seems like this is what happened to Black Out Hong Kong, where after the first rush you took a break, and it didn't grab you enough to keep up with your beginning hype.

For me, first impressions dictates my future efforts to give a game a good run, so if I am turned off it is hard to set aside enough time. Can you relate?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Kelly
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
Ulaan1789 wrote:
I wonder, how often do reroll scores actually go up?
In our rating summaries extending back to Episode 30 (more to come), 18 games have gone up during the re-roll.

Now, fully sortable.

https://www.bluepegpinkpeg.com/rating-summaries/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls