Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Hoffman
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As stated in the rules for the Scout tile: "Once in play, each turn, the player may refuse the first tile he draws (including bonus tiles). He places the refused tile face down under the stack and draws a new tile, which he must place."

The rule in question is "including bonus tiles." Correct me if I'm wrong, but drawing a bonus tile could never be the FIRST tile drawn on the turn, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Games Are About Glory
United States
Macedon
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Another Scout tile question...
Gamemaster (#45778),
Could they possibly mean that the same applies for a second tile drawn from the builder's bonus?

Example: Player A draws a tile and places it extending a road that his builder is on. Can he now refuse the next tile he draws for his builder bonus?

Or even more convoluted: Can he refuse the first tile drawn during his turn, play the second tile on a road with his builder, refuse the third tile drawn and finally place the fourth tile?

Good question. The rules could be worded better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
FrozenHoHos (#46059),

The rules translation here on BGG doesn't have the word 'first' at all.

After this is played, the player can each turn reject the tile he has drawn (including bonus tiles). He places it back at the base of one of the piles (or back in the bag) and draws a replacement, which he then has to play.

I'm definitely interested in knowing what the original German wording was.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shannon Appelcline
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FrozenHoHos wrote:
Gamemaster (#45778),
Could they possibly mean that the same applies for a second tile drawn from the builder's bonus?

Example: Player A draws a tile and places it extending a road that his builder is on. Can he now refuse the next tile he draws for his builder bonus?

Or even more convoluted: Can he refuse the first tile drawn during his turn, play the second tile on a road with his builder, refuse the third tile drawn and finally place the fourth tile?

Good question. The rules could be worded better.

Well, except that the Scout is used in H&G and the builder in vanilla Carcassonne. If you're going to combine the sets then you can't really expect the rules to cover you.

The general gist of the Scout is obvious enough: whenever you draw a tile, you may choose to replace it, but then must keep the second one you take.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hoffman
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thatmarkguy (#46075),

I quoted Rio Grande Games' rule sheet which is official. It clearly states that the FIRST tile can be rejected.

I understand the possibility that Rio Grande Games made a mistake. If so, they should address it. I did email them for a clarification.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hoffman
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thatmarkguy (#46075),

I quoted Rio Grande Games' rule sheet which is official. It clearly states that the FIRST tile can be rejected.

I understand the possibility that Rio Grande Games made a mistake. If so, they should address it. I did email them for a clarification.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Isn't the playing of a bonus tile (a magical tile as we call it round here) considered playing "one more turn" ? That would answer the question in a very simple way : the bonus tile is the first tile in my second turn in a row.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Games Are About Glory
United States
Macedon
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shannona (#46106),
I knew that...really, I did.

I guess I overlooked that fact when I overanalyzed the question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.