Subject: Some questions about retreating -- different situations rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Bolesh
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
If I've missed this info elsewhere, forgive me. I played M44 for the first time last night, and these two questions arose:

1) If a unit cannot retreat toward its side of the board because units occupy the two hexes to its rear, does the unit move left or right instead? What if that's not possible either?

2) How does one resolve multiple battles against a single unit -- a) conduct both battles, then resolve all effects, or b) conduct each battle and resolve each battle's effects one at a time?

Here's the situation: Two Allied infantry units battled a German unit. Both were at a range of two hexes. The first Allied unit's roll forced the German unit to retreat 1 hex. The only hex the German could retreat to was adjacent to the second Allied unit. Does that second unit battle at a range of two hexes (the original range) or one hex (the new range)?

Thanks for the help! The game is great -- really fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Some questions about retreating -- different situations
ejagricola (#45994),

1) If a unit can not retreat towards its side of the board, the flag counts as a hit against the unit. A unit never retreats in any direction other than toward its commander's side of the board!

2) When there are multiple battles against a unit, they are resolved one at a time. So, in your example, the first retreat would occur before the second unit battles, meaning the second unit would battle at a range of one hex (the new range).

That should clear up both of your questions! Enjoy the game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Felker
United States
Oxford
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chaddyboy_2000 (#45998),

Yes, thanks, I had the SAME exact question about retreating last night too, and we decided to interpret it literally just like this and stick with it, since it was more strategic that way. Glad to see we were playing it correctly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Felker
United States
Oxford
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chaddyboy_2000 (#45998),

I like this idea because if you get directly behind the unit and flank it, then you can inflict damage i.e. on an infantry, with a Grenade, Infantry symbol, or Flag.

The strategies of this game are starting to make my head swell.

Great job Mr. Borg and crew.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Bolesh
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Retreat resolution and game accessibility
Chad,

Excellent, thanks! I see there is a "retreat" thread further down that explores some other options (retreating away from attacking units or retreating toward cover, etc), but the straightforward explanation does the trick for me. It keep things simple and opens up room for some interesting tactics, i.e. engaging enemy units in hexes where retreat flags mean casualties.

I should definitely add that I played the game with my fiance last night, and she actually had fun while playing. Then she got really excited when she won the scenario -- something she wouldn't have imagined possible in a "war game." It was terrific! She's starting to see that not every game is Squad Leader...

What a fun, accessible game M44 is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
kevinfelker42 (#46007),

I like this idea because if you get directly behind the unit and flank it, then you can inflict damage i.e. on an infantry, with a Grenade, Infantry symbol, or Flag.

It is definitely an advantage to pin an enemy troop into a situation where they can't retreat. If you can manage to do it, you have a two-thirds chance of a hit on an infantry unit; not too shabby!

It's also a big advantage when you're attacking the same unit multiple times in one turn. You can be assured that the enemy troop cannot retreat away from you, so that you won't frustratingly go from being close to the unit to being out of range by the time it comes to your final attacking unit's turn to roll the dice!

Man, retreats are cool!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Neff
United States
Gresham
Oregon
flag msg tools
This might sound like the same question, but it's really got me and my wife at each other's throats!
The rules state that you should retreat back towards your side of the board. Let's suppose during the course of a game I manuever an Allied infantry unit so that it's attacking an enemy unit from the North (North being the top of the board from the perspectice of the Allied player). In other words, I'm in a North hex and the Axis player is in a South hex. If the Axis player attacks and forces me to retreat, I'm pushed backwards, but TOWARDS the Axis players side of the board! The only way to retreat towards my side of the board would be to 'retreat' forward! My wife said this would be the only retreat possible. I disagree, feeling that moving forward is never a retreat, you're gaining ground!
Anyhow, from what it sounds like, the general consensus is that your retreat must always be towards the commander. Ok, so how about this: I'm in a West hex and my enemy is in en East hex. If one of us has to retreat, can we retreat East or West (essentially a neutral retreat), or do we still have to retreat 'towards the commander'??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb
bbmagic (#47630),

Always retreating towards the commander means ALWAYS retreating towards the commander. There are NO exceptions in ANY circumstances.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
I spent 100 Geek Gold and all I got was this lousy overtext message!
mbmbmbmbmb
bbmagic (#47630),
Like octavian says, all retreats with your units are towards your side of the board. If your retreat route is blocked, you lose an extra unit for each space you can't retreat (including the edge of the board).

Obviously if you're behind and adjacent to the unit retreating, it's to your advantage if he's blocked since he'll lose more units. Sometimes it's better to run forward into cover than to run back in the open. But for simplicity, that's the way it is and works fairly well. Also many scenarios don't have a black and white demarcation as to owning one side of the board or another. Maybe the front lines are confused and nobody knows where the FEBA is, and retreating towards the enemy is actually moving back to your central position.

However, to accomodate your frustration, I will include alternate retreat rules in my next version of the variant/house rules while trying to still maintain the simplicity of the game. But as for playing it the way it was designed, your stuck with only retreating in one direction. Cheers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Neff
United States
Gresham
Oregon
flag msg tools
Walt Mulder (#47644),
Thanks for the replies. What you say does make sense (my wife will be thrilled to learn that she was right...I'll never hear the end of it!) and it will certainly make it easier to push your enemy back into another unit!
Cheers!
bbmagic

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.