Tony Barber
England
Aylesford
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Movement cards (idea by Derek H (gamesbook) implemented by Tony Barber)

Each sheet has the right amount of types of terrain (same as a dice)
Print as many sheets as you think you may need (probably 4)

Try this see how it goes

To start deal 5 cards to each player
In the movement phase you can use up to 5 cards to plan your move

When you have completed your turn take 4 cards if outside a town and 5 cards if you are in a town. Add these to any cards you have left in your hand.

Now you can plan you next move ahead of time

Before you move you can discard x cards card to get x exhaustion healed.

If a card says re-roll a dice discard a card and take a new one.

Use common sense with cards that refer to dice.

See if this works for you guys who don’t like the dice, and waiting for people to decide what move to do with their dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Movement cards now in the files section
Tony,
Wow - this a really quick and really cool-looking implementation of what was just a tentative idea.

One or two comments... it seems that some dice have multiple symbols on them - should some cards not match this as well? You would have to shrink the central hexes and put 2/3 together to represent this, I guess.

I am not sure the words on the cards are really needed - think about many of the German-style games where the components are purely visual or symbolic. I do like the hex pictures on them.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Barber
England
Aylesford
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gamesbook (#46181),
Working on the assumption that the movement cards held in the players hand represents knowledge learned about the area around.

I played a race around the board going from town to town with 2 pieces. One piece controlled by dice the other by movement cards. The piece with the cards started with 5 in his hand. To start with the dice piece got a small lead but as the card piece gained extra cards and soon caught up and after going around 6 or 7 towns and back to the start point the pieces were neck & neck I allowed the card piece to play as many cards as he could in his turn. Taking 4 new ones in a non town space and 5 on a town space. The dice piece when rolling 4 dice gets an average of 10 terrain types to chose from. The card player gets less cards but ones he does not use he keeps in his hand and sometimes has 10 or 12 to chose from. It seems to be quite balanced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tony [pirtrom (#46217)],

Obviously a practical test speaks volumes! I had thought, though, that there would be a max. no of cards holdable. ie. if you play 3, you pick up 3 to replace them. If you do not play any, stay where you, then could discard 3 (or maybe 4 or 5 in town) and replace them. This would limit choices and may require multi-symbol cards? I guess I am not sure one should be allowed to "accumulate" that many cards... the concept of " movement cards held in the players hand represents knowledge learned" was meant to a general idea, not an actual simulation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Barber
England
Aylesford
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gamesbook (#46333),
The Movement cards are there for people to experiment with and have fun. I have had a request for bigger symbols for people with bad eyes and no text for language independence. I have uploaded new cards to the files section.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.