Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Comfort
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After TimS’ debacle in our first game of Adel Verpflichtet (he found a way to get shut out for almost three-quarters of the game), we decided to play again. It went much better for him this time around, but realistically there was no way it could have been worse. I jumped out to a large lead, about three our four castles ahead. Unfortunately, I was steadily losing pieces of art to some timely thieving along the way. One weird thing that kept happening in this game was that we never thieved a check. Either there were no thieves at all in the auction house, or there were two. As a result, I ran out of checks pretty quickly, and everyone else eventually followed suit. We have a couple of card counters in our ranks, and the other players pointed out that I was out of checks, which limited my options. I tried to pilfer some art in the castle, but hit a bad run where I got both of my thieves put in jail, and they didn’t even net me any art. I successfully played my detective a time or two, but when you are in the lead, that strategy doesn’t get you very far. As we were approaching the castle, I was still in the lead, but I was limping badly. I was out of checks and thieves, and my detective was fairly worthless. My collection was trimmed down to the minimum three pieces, but I still scratched out a couple of second-place showings. I got passed up by two spaces right at the end as TimS redeemed himself by arriving at the dining table first, just as my collection dropped to a pathetic two pieces.

Pam and I were only two spaces behind him at the time of the final art showing, but I knew I was dead in the water. TimS was very confident that he had the game sewn up when he plunked down a collection of nine items, but then Ted dropped ten. There was much taunting on Ted’s part, because he thought he had come back to win. But wait, Kristen was quietly counting her cards. She amassed a run of eleven priceless antiques, the best of all! She got to move the full eight spaces, and Ted had to backtrack the four that he had wrongly taken. I had to suffer the indignity of not even having a legal collection to show. Other players had huge collections so it really didn’t matter, but it was still embarrassing since displaying collection is, you know, important. In the end, it was the closest game of Adel that I had ever seen, with TimS barely holding on for the very prestigious win. Ted and Kristen both fell just short, and Pam and I were locked in two spaces back. A great finish.

TimS *winner*
Kristen -1 space
Ted -1
Pam -2
Tim -2

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.