Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Some games, Puerto Rico, Ra, Tigris and Euphrates, and Saint Petersburg come to mind, play equally well with any number of players. The game might feel a little different depending on how many players there are, but it plays well and it is about as good with one number as another.

Others, like Princes of Florence, Age of Steam, or El Grande, are really better with a specific number of players than with other numbers, although I guess you can play it with any in the range suggested by the publisher.

How about Maharajah? Have not yet played it, will probably get it to the table tonight. How many players should I be shooting for? Does it matter much?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kane Klenko
United States
Ridgeway
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Preferred number of players.
dkeisen (#46216),

Personally I like the game with any number (I've played with 2,4,and 5). It can be a bit tougher to play with only 2 players, but not in a bad way. The fact that a player earns a bonus $5 if they are the only one to score a city is something you have to pay a lot of attention to with less players since you have to be in every city that scores. You usually want to be anyway, but sometimes it's difficult if you're working ahead and building in other cities (which you should be). With more players it's not really an issue because it's almost guaranteed that at least 2 people will score the city and nobody will get the bonus.
So, I like it with any number, but your strategies do have to change depending on the number of players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Peek
United States
Preston
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Exactly my feelings as well. The number of players does not change the placement of palaces so much, as the rules state that a palace of each unused color is placed in each city, limiting the number of palaces that can still be placed in a city to n + 2 where n is the number of players.
The other thing that feels different is that ther roads are considerably more congested with more players and more money is likely to exchange hands as a result of movement costs. This is probably the primary reason for the increase in gold paid for scoring, depending on the number of players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Van Biesbrouck
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RandallPeek (#46270),

Average income is still about 7 over the players (assuming that they are all present). I think the assumption is that you might get first place now, but it will be fifth soon....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Avery
Canada
Kamloops
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't believe how much this seems like El Grande to me -- only I like El Grande more (no small feat since I don't like influence games.)

And like El Grande and any other influence games, I think this is significantly better with more players than less. Ie. It is dull with 2, and more exciting with each player added in. I tend to feel this way about most games that have some sort of tiered scoring (ie. the money awards in this game.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Casadonte
United States
Media
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
The compass always points to Terrapin.
mbmbmbmbmb
familygaming wrote:
It is dull with 2, and more exciting with each player added in.

Just to throw in a different opinion, I find the 2P game to be fast-paced and tense!

joe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.