China» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Trying to turn my parents into gamers rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Antti Koskinen
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had the chance to spend a weekend with my parents in their summer cottage. Summer cottages are really cool but in November one shoudn't emphasise the word summer too much. It was snowing, cold and dark (so dark that if you went outside the light perimeter of the cottage you couldn't see farther than an arms length) and therefore the surroundings were perfect for some gaming.

My parents haven't played board games. China is relatively easy to play and I figured that it wouldn't be too complex for them. I set the board and began to go through the rules. After 5 minutes I could notice that they were looking at each other and were lost. So I quickened the pace of the explanation ; there isn't a better way to learn a game than to play it.

After we started playing it became obvious that my mother got the idea of the game. She made some nice moves and played her cards well. My father on the other hand didn't do so well. He was drawing cards mainly from the deck and was asking what to do all the time. I helped him and tried not just tell what's the best move but also why it's the best move. I didn't succeed to make my father understand the game but my mother got a bit annoyed. She was trying hard to beat my father and I was only helping him. Fonrtunately my mom isn't a competitive person and she didn't take me helping my dad too hard.

The final score of the game was:

Me 59
Dad 52
Mom 49

We did take another try right after the first game which my mother won. My dad didn't do much better than the first time but he did like Lost Cities a lot and beat me 3-1 in the four games we had during the weekend after I had introduced the game to him.

I'm quite positive that this was not the last time I'm going to play games with my parents and I think I really should buy them a couple of games that they can take to the summer cottage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liz Burton
United States
Bethesda
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe your parents would do a better with a slightly simpler intro game, like Ticket to Ride or Ticket to Ride: Europe.

This one isn't a bad game to try, though. I also introduced it to my parents (who are gamers), with similar results: My mom picked up on it pretty quickly and really enjoys it now, whereas my dad doesn't quite get it and doesn't really like it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.