Popular Tags: [View All]
They call me....
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
What ever happened to the good old days when quarterbacks gave up on passing and just made their own damn touchdowns? Bah, humbug.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MisterCranky wrote:
What ever happened to the good old days when quarterbacks gave up on passing and just made their own damn touchdowns? Bah, humbug.

Big Ben did just that today with the Steelers in their comeback win over Cleveland! A 30 yard rushing TD (and he almost made it two rushing TD's, getting stopped on the 3 yard line later on).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
shake it wouldn't have happened with THESE 'guys'!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Glenn
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Why should Peyton risk getting clocked? He had Vinatieri as a backup

Or are you telling us a touchdown would have covered the spread for you?

How much did you lose?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
They call me....
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Look, Stephen, you know I don't bet on football. But it just kills me to see a game go down that particular path. Okay, you had two tries, they failed, and your third and final pass as the clock runs out is an interception? Insult to injury. Run it in....

I wish I'd seen some of the other games...I only watched the Colts lose because there was nothing better on the tube.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric "Shippy McShipperson" Mowrer
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Ami. Geek.
mbmbmbmbmb
MisterCranky wrote:

He retired. You're talking about Steve Young, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
They call me....
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, I am always talking about Roman Gabriel, if I'm talking about quarterbacks. If he had had anything like Steve Young's rushing ability, it would even have made sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Dziuba
United States
Scurry
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MisterCranky wrote:
What ever happened to the good old days when quarterbacks gave up on passing and just made their own damn touchdowns?

He can't as by the time he gets the ball he's too gassed from running up and down the line of scrimmage doing his theatrics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
MisterCranky wrote:

Hey, manicures aren't cheap nowadays! Dainty!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Smith
United States
Port Arthur
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why do teams keep trying to draw the defense offsides when it is obvious to everybody they are trying to draw the defense offsides? I don't recall that tactic ever working. When a tactic is 0 for 5,000 you would think it would be abandoned. In this particular instance the fancy-pants stubbornness of the Colts resulted in the FG attempt being 5 yards longer... and missed as a result.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Let us not forget Elway's awesome run for the first down in the Super Bowl versus the Packers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
They call me....
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, Clinton, I was letting that little gem slide--possibly because I am one of the six or seven people left on the planet who don't necessarily recognize when that sort of tactic is being employed. I only care about their last "drive"...you know the one...it occurred as the "we were fabulous in the first half but it was a fluke" Chargers failed to make the down after that "we're the fancy pants stubborn Colts but our star kicker failed to make the easiest yardage+5 field goal ever" regained possession.

I used to watch football back in the days when lots of games seemed interesting and disappointing like this one did. Are those days back? Have they been there all the time?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Casiglio
United States
Ansonia
CT
flag msg tools
Falcon 2018 September 28, 29, 30 in Stamford, CT
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Steve Grogan: 12 Rushing TDs (1976)

Still the single-season NFL record for a quarterback!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Csigs wrote:

Steve Grogan: 12 Rushing TDs (1976)

Still the single-season NFL record for a quarterback!

I missed that one...I was only a year old.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Dziuba
United States
Scurry
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Artaxerxes wrote:
In this particular instance the fancy-pants stubbornness of the Colts resulted in the FG attempt being 5 yards longer... and missed as a result.

I don't think this is necessarily a definitive statement. Because of the angles involved the kick from the left hash at the 19 actually gives a larger target than a kick from the 14 left hash. Plus, being both kicks are of a relatively short length the kicker would not have to be figuring distance into his motion and just concentrating on accuracy. So if the kick was going to miss from the 19 the same kick would have missed from the 14.

So the blame goes almost entirely on Vinatieri for simply shanking the kick and not on any "fancy-pants stubbornness". Which I'm sure caused a smirk or two from any Patriot's fans watching.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Artaxerxes wrote:
Why do teams keep trying to draw the defense offsides when it is obvious to everybody they are trying to draw the defense offsides? I don't recall that tactic ever working. When a tactic is 0 for 5,000 you would think it would be abandoned. In this particular instance the fancy-pants stubbornness of the Colts resulted in the FG attempt being 5 yards longer... and missed as a result.

I've seen the Jets succeed in drawing the opposing defense offsides a couple times this year.

I've seen the Jets do a lot of things this year, but I'm not going to talk about the rest of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ruiner of Things
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Spoon!
badge
Well, once again we find that clowning and anarchy don't mix.
mbmbmbmbmb
Nick Danger wrote:

So the blame goes almost entirely on Vinatieri for simply shanking the kick and not on any "fancy-pants stubbornness". Which I'm sure caused a smirk or two from any Patriot's fans watching.

Does a Patriots fan ever wear any expression other than a smirk? Devil worshipers are like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mistermarino wrote:
Does a Patriots fan ever wear any expression other than a smirk? Devil worshipers are like that.

I used to think the Patriots sold their souls for their success, but now I realize they had none to begin with. Oh snap!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Smith
United States
Port Arthur
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Because of the angles involved the kick from the left hash at the 19 actually gives a larger target than a kick from the 14 left hash.

Yes, due to the geometry involved, I suppose the "effective" distance between the uprights (from the kicker's position) is greater from the left 19 yard hash mark than it is from the left 14 yard hash mark. I'm sure it's a very small difference, though, which happens to be why I carelessly neglected to mention it. Of greater significance is the fact that a shanked kick (which happens occasionally to even the best kickers, and seems to happen to all of them more often at crucial, pressure-packed moments) is more likely to miss than an equally shanked kick (ie. one having the same angle in relation to a line perpendicular to the uprights of the goal) from five yards closer, whether kicking from a hash mark or not.

By the way, it's easy to test all of this out with a pencil, a ruler, and a sheet of graph paper, if one happens to be as bored as I am today.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kane Klenko
United States
Mount Horeb
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scott Firestone IV wrote:
Let us not forget Elway's awesome run for the first down in the Super Bowl versus the Packers.

On second thought, let's forget it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
They call me....
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Artaxerxes wrote:

By the way, it's easy to test all of this out with a pencil, a ruler, and a sheet of graph paper, if one happens to be as bored as I am today.

I suppose that it helps to live in The Land of the Giants, too, so that you can easily get graph paper the size of a football field.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.