Lucas Hedgren
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From my comments: "Anyone who claims multi-player solitaire has not had the one action they have to have to feed their family taken just before them."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The solitaire feeling is on the level with Puerto Rico. In both games are you developing your own farm. However in PR will every action have a direct consequence for the other players, whereas in Agricola youe are depriving the other players from performing the action you take. However, this subgame of selecting a key action before it is taken by your opponent makes the game.

The only difference between the solitaire version and the multiplayer version is the ability to "screw" a player by taking the actions he needs!

All in all, I would say that the level comparable to PR.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephanie K.
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is downtime and I've had a couple people bring that up as something they don't like about the game. However, I think, especially when using the more complex cards, that downtime should really be spent plotting out your moves and paying attention to what other people are doing. The cards can have interaction and it's good to know what other people have done because it can affect you.

After a couple games, they should go much more quickly, with less downtime.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron K
United States
jamesville
New York
flag msg tools
'80' maxlength='250'> </td> </tr> <tr> <td width="15%" align="right"><b>Avatar OverText</b></td> <td width="85%"> <input type="text" name="overtext[avatar]" value="Train Game anyone?
badge
Train Game anyone?
mbmbmbmbmb
Solitaire - no. There is heavy competition for the available actions which directly and frequently impact what you can do as opposed to what you want to do. We refer to this as Plan C (i.e., after both Plan A and Plan B are shot down by other players choices).

This causes the Starting Player action to be attractive enough that in a five player game over 16 rounds it was often selected a half dozen or more times.

As to down time. Yes, with new players there is a bunch of down time. Everyone is spending 15 minutes at the start reading and planning against their 7 minor improvements and 7 occupations. Once play starts, folks spend 1-10 minutes per turn (with the first few players playing faster since their action plans have not been taken). With experienced players, we noticed most turns players knew what they wanted to do (and had an alternate choice or two) so they could play in a matter of seconds more often than not.

However, this game is subject to AP so pick your players with that in mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Aside from the obvious interaction from competition over actions on the central boards, the I and K decks add an amazing amount of synergy that can negatively affect your opponents, or even afford you bonuses based on their actions.

There's no way to directly interfere with someone's progress other than taking an action they needed on the central board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph H. Anderson
United States
Prospect
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
We refer to this as Plan C (i.e., after both Plan A and Plan B are shot down by other players choices).

Ron, you must have been playing only a 3 player game! In my five player games I am usually down to Plan E by the time my turn rolls around again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron K
United States
jamesville
New York
flag msg tools
'80' maxlength='250'> </td> </tr> <tr> <td width="15%" align="right"><b>Avatar OverText</b></td> <td width="85%"> <input type="text" name="overtext[avatar]" value="Train Game anyone?
badge
Train Game anyone?
mbmbmbmbmb
DragonCat wrote:
Quote:
We refer to this as Plan C (i.e., after both Plan A and Plan B are shot down by other players choices).

Ron, you must have been playing only a 3 player game! In my five player games I am usually down to Plan E by the time my turn rolls around again!

I seemed to be perpetually stuck in the third slot as two folks kept snagging the Start Player so they could alternate Plan A, Plan D, Plan A, Plan D

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.